The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently purchased an 02 limited AWD with 120,000 on it. Before making it my DD I decided that I would change all the gaskets and fluids, give it a tuneup, etc..

My dumb ass forgot to drain the coolant before I started to take off the lower plenum to change that gasket and whatever coolant was in it leaked into top half of motor. So I knew oil change was going to be needed even though I changed oil before starting the job. The job itself took about a week between working on the rear suspension and other things life gives you. The cowl was removed along with the valve covers and the the upper and lower intakes. However I tried my best to cover the engine area with a tarp and there was some puddled water collected in the tarp.

I put everything back together yesterday added rtv to corners of manifold gaskets and tightened lower plenum according to the alldata. Started it up and let it run for a few minute to get it hot to check oil. Oil had coolant/water in it like I figured it would.

So this morning I changed out the oil started it up let it run. Shut it down checked oil level and it’s still milky. Is it possible all the coolant/water wasn’t still removed when I changed the oil earlier or did I screw something up upon re-assembly? Did I maybe receive the wrong gasket? Any ideas to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Here are a few other details I’d like to add. While the lower plenum was off I wire wheeled it and painted it. While putting the the thermostat bypass hose back in it the treads stripped and the hose outlet just kept spinning. However I was able to reinstall the hose outlet and got it to fit tightly back in the plenum. I also do remember a little bit of pitting on the lower plenum however it was there prior to starting the job and I didn’t have this problem prior to changing the gasket.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,326 Posts
Should've changed oil before starting it up. Yes, now that it's been run and mixed you will have to do a couple of oil/filter changes to get it all out.

When one of my Supras had a head gasket leak (massive - I could watch coolant dripping onto the piston with the spark plug removed, no pressure in cooling system) I let it sit for a day after draining the coolant. The oil and water separated (I hadn't run it much after a quick oil change). I put a pan under it and loosened the drain plug, and pulled the plug out just long enough for the coolant to drain. Once the coolant turned to oil, I quickly screwed the plug back in. Topped up with oil and let it sit. Now it's ready to just add coolant for the final move of the car, to position it to pull the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RR for the advice. I changed the oil again w/o starting it up. Added new oil and some type of slick 50 motor flush voodoo juice into it. Started it up checked oil and all signs of oil contamination were gone. Drove van about 50 miles and checked again and still no signs of visable contamination. I plan on changing the oil and filter one more time in about 500 miles just to be on the safe side. Taking this one as a learning lesson.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,326 Posts
Glad you got it worked out! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts