The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I just installed a VRVD640G Nvigation/ DVD/ Cd unit in my 2002 T&C LXi. The unit powers on and plays cd dvds etc but has no sound. All speaker wires are hooked up properly but I still get no sound. I even exchanged the unit and got another one to c if I had just bought a bad unit but still no sound! I am frustrated because I have always installed radios in my car but have never had a problem like this. I dont know if I have to bypass some etc. I do have steering wheel mounted controls in this van but thought I would just lose the use of them with an after market radio. Could this be something to do with the problem??? PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you in advanced :)

·
Banned
547 Posts
You need to run a wire from the red Acc power wire on the radio to pin 87 in the fuse box under the hood, which is the amp relay.

The amp relay is in the Relay/Fuse box located under the hood. The amp relay is the one labeled NBS which stands for Name Brand Speakers.

pin 87 was the 3rd pin on the connector. I believe it was purple/green.

There is a grommet right above the pedals inside where you can push a wire through

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone

I just installed a VRVD640G Nvigation/ DVD/ Cd unit in my 2002 T&C LXi. The unit powers on and plays cd dvds etc but has no sound. All speaker wires are hooked up properly but I still get no sound. I even exchanged the unit and got another one to c if I had just bought a bad unit but still no sound! I am frustrated because I have always installed radios in my car but have never had a problem like this. I dont know if I have to bypass some etc. I do have steering wheel mounted controls in this van but thought I would just lose the use of them with an after market radio. Could this be something to do with the problem??? PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you in advanced :)
What's missing to complete your installation is the connection to the ground cable enclosed by the clip/harness, you have to ground it to the radio/unit. Also to, did you by an installation kit, because chrysler speaker system does not wire like most other manufacturers?

·
Banned
547 Posts
on the 2001 with infinity speakers, there is no wire for pin G power antenna/amp. That got eliminated.

Instead there is a connector that goes to the computer which controls the amp relay.

I just tapped into the wire at the fuse panel that went to the relay marked NBS and ran the wire direct to the radio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I'm having this same issue. I ordered from crutchfield and selected "non-Infinity" since I didn't see anything about it in the manual. Soldered the harnesses, did the install, radio powered but got no sound, so I called them. Told them I thought I had an Infinity setup and they sent a new kit. This one has 3 harnesses and is bypassing the amp. Seems like this is going to be a harder installation, since I have to run a harness to the amp. Also seems like I won't need one of the harnesses, because it's for speakers other than R/L front and rear. If I'm understanding it correctly, this installation will power the speakers directly from the head unit, which means I'll lose the tweeters and be sending full range signal to the door speakers which are woofers.

I'd rather use the non-infinity harness and run the line to the fuse box under the hood. But I want to understand what I'm doing for my own benefit:

(1) How can you send amplified output from an aftermarket head unit with amp to the factory amp? Wouldn't the factory amp be looking for a line level input?

(2) How will the amp drive 6 speakers from a 4-speaker output? Or was the factory head unit only 4 speakers as well, with the amp separating the front signal into high/low?

(3) When I run the red wire from the fuse box to the radio, is the connection at the radio instead of or in addition to the connection at the factory harness? In other words, the crutchfield harness has a red wire and my radio harness has a red wire. I soldered those together. Do I splice off that connection to go to the fuse box, or do I break that connection, send the radio red to fuse box, and tape off the crutchfield harness red?

·
Banned
547 Posts
I used a standard Metra harness specified for the Chrysler minivan - 70-1817 to be exact.

I just soldered in the various colors applicable to the car until I got to the one for the amp wire. This one I soldered to the wire running to the relay.

It was pretty straightforward since the colors matched the factory wires.

Metra's website is www.metraonline.com

Of course, everything was grounded the way it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.