The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited; 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi
48 Posts
It is my fathers garage, not mine. But thanks. The van is a 2001 with 150,000 miles. Original owner was Florida snowbird who used it to travel the country. No rust anywhere but a little faded paint on the bumper covers from sun exposure. I will post more pics later when I am buttoning her up.

I paid $1,000 but needed to replace the PCM, front struts and trans solenoid (leaking). The radiator has a leak near the top where the plastic meets the cooling fins. I will be replacing it before I make it my daily driver. Also, the control center bezel was shot, so I had to find a replacement and paint it blue to match the rest of the interior. The interior is otherwise very pristine...no kids ever in this van. :)

So I am close to $2,000 all-in on the vehicle. But I think at an average of 20,000 miles per year (less under Coronavirus), it should give me at least 5 trouble free years.

·
Super Moderator
24,780 Posts
Thanks for the info.

5 more years, not a problem, they are great vehicles.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Yes, I love them for both the comfort, space and reliability. God bless those who are directly impacted by this Coronavirus and I don’t mean to make light of the situation, but as a single father of two teenage sons, this self quarantine has been great for tackling projects! I would have never started on these rockers had not soccer, scouts and robotics all been canceled!

Anyway, I had some silver colored POR15 that has been laying around for over a decade (past project). So I decided what the ****, and applied it to all the trouble areas.

As for the rust prone area forward of the front wheels, I really think these cradle nuts have something to do with it:

so I coated the entire area (along with the cradle nuts) with the POR15.

Also hit all the body plug holes and other areas I could think of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Now I am taking a little break to let the POR15 to set up some before getting out the fluid film. Here are some more pics of the vehicle.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
It looks pretty clean and rust free.

Still believe that you should've left it the way it was, too late now.

·
Super Moderator
24,780 Posts
POR 15 .... don't know much about it. Hard coatings tend to crack with temperature changes/time and trap moisture underneath, best to stick with the stay soft stuff that repels moisture, creeps and seeps for a year or so, even wheel bearing grease will do in a pinch, it's not to be overlooked like for starter terminals, etc.

The trouble with most coatings is that coverage can be difficult, if not impossible and some are not compatible with paint or not recommended for salty environment. Research required there.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
POR 15 .... don't know much about it. Hard coatings tend to crack with temperature changes/time and trap moisture underneath, best to stick with the stay soft stuff that repels moisture, creeps and seeps for a year or so, even wheel bearing grease will do in a pinch, it's not to be overlooked like for starter terminals, etc.
+1

Good example, Delorean car body is made of stainless steel, never rust, but the frame is made of steel coated of a hard substance supposed to last. Number one killer of a Delorean car is a badly rusted frame.

Typical Delorean rusted out frame:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Ugh. Guess I will find out soon enough. :). The rust clock was wound the moment I brought this vehicle to Wisconsin. :).

I don’t really think the POR15 will last very long because I didn’t go through all the formal preparation for use of the POR 15. I had watched some YouTube videos and I’m pretty sure it will flake off after a winter or two. Just had it laying around (and in the correct color), so I slopped it on. But I am not expecting too much from it. I will however, go heavy with the Fluid Film inside the rockers and hopefully that will slow the rust clock down.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
Ugh. Guess I will find out soon enough. :). The rust clock was wound the moment I brought this vehicle to Wisconsin. :).

I don’t really think the POR15 will last very long because I didn’t go through all the formal preparation for use of the POR 15. I had watched some YouTube videos and I’m pretty sure it will flake off after a winter or two. Just had it laying around (and in the correct color), so I slopped it on. But I am not expecting too much from it. I will however, go heavy with the Fluid Film inside the rockers and hopefully that will slow the rust clock down.
Problem is, you don't see it until it is too late.

Then, not a good preparation.....

·
Super Moderator
24,780 Posts
POR 15 is intended to be used over rusted or bare metal surfaces, not painted surfaces. It won't help much for sure, in your situation, but won't likely hurt much either. Some of the painted surfaces underneath, tend to stay in real good shape regardless.

I believe the rocker panels are made of a zinc treated steel, a common problem is the paint not bonding well to the underside, especially at the welded joint..

Please keep us posted of your progress and how it looks.

Woolwax is another product to consider. It's like Fluid Film but a little heavier, less smelly after installation, and is available in amber or black.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts