The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to diagnose a misfire in cylinder 5 for the past few months. It came and went but has popped up more the past month or so. Around this time, I also noticed the ticking noise commonly associated with a failed rocker arm.

Today I opened up the right bank and noticed the rocker circled in red was extremely bad. The cam was also severely worn at the same spot with raised edges. I replaced the rocker and will be ordering a new camshaft.

After I put everything back together the engine started without any vibration and was running quieter, without the tick. I took it for a quick test drive and around the neighborhood everything seemed normal. As soon as I got on the highway and tried to open it up, the check engine light started flashing and the engine almost seemed like it wasn't engaging the variable valve timing. It took forever to go from 4-6k rpm and then waited to shift, so I backed off. When I got to the stoplight the car had horrible vibration and the dash lights were flickering. After a few seconds it went back to normal and as long as I didn't go past 60% throttle or so it ran like normal.

Could this issue be due to the new rocker on the severely worn cam? Or, could it be something else? I double-checked and all the wiring is plugged into the right places and all the hoses are in the correct spots. Seems weird it never did this with the bad rocker in there but maybe it was worn in a way it just kinda worked.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
Absolutely. That cylinder is only getting half the airflow it should because the worn lobe is completely rounded and will not give any lift. When you put in the new cam, be sure to replace that rocker again. Really all of them should be done, but especially that one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. How hard is it to replace the Camshaft? I saw the tools on Amazon but not sure how hard it is to get the engine to TDC to align everything properly

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
It's not easy if you've never done something like that before. But if you have, it's not too bad. Takes a couple hours for an experienced mechanic.

You'll need a 36mm shallow socket and ft-lbs torque wrench for the cam sprocket bolt (oil control valve). You're supposed to replace those whenever removed, but I've reused several without issue. You'll need torx sockets and an in-lbs torque wrench for the cam bearings.

TDC is when the valve on #1 are both closed and the intake is just about to open. Then align the marks on the intake and exhaust cam. If I recall correctly, there are 13 grooves between each cam timing mark. Mark them with something to make sure you put it back right.

You'll need to disengage the tensioner for the head you're working on. There are videos on YouTube showing you how to do all of this, even the cam swap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks. I was planning on checking it out on YouTube. I have everything except the special cam tools. I've replaced Vanos on a BMW so I don't think this would be too hard just want to make sure I have access with it being the rear bank

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
It's a tight squeeze, but you can get it. I didn't have a shallow 36mm when I did my rear intake cam, so I did it with a full sized axle nut socket. That was bordering on the edge of impossible with the torque wrench attached.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed the right bank intake camshaft and all 12 rockers on that side yesterday. Used the Motor City Mechanic Youtube Videos. And the cam tool he mentions from Amazon. Not a hard job, just a pain to access some of the fasteners. Also, for those attempting this, there is a notch in the cam phaser that goes into the end of the camshaft. I had a bit of a hard time getting the cam phaser on properly until I saw that. I don't think he mentioned it in the video.

Turns out there were 3 bad rockers on the intake cam, not just the one I saw before. It really is easier to diagnose when you take the cams out. After replacing, the van runs fine now and is smoother than when I first got it a few months ago. Cylinder 5 misfire is gone too.

Here is old vs new cam

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
690 Posts
Wow, that camshaft lobe was really worn down!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
Understatement of the year, right there. That thing is round. No lobe left.

Reactions: Westphal
1 - 9 of 9 Posts