The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

HID headlights -Aiming?

15K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  1994 Sport 
#1 ·
I always found it weird that (any vehicle) that has Xenon headlights should also have automatic leveling in those headlight housings. Our LTD's do not have these leveling features in the housings.

My LTD does have the Trailer tow option, which includes a load leveling rear suspension. So I guess that quasi makes up for it. But what about those that did not get the load leveling BUT have XENONS? When you would have a full load of people and gear it would for sure be pointing too high???:ask_wsign

In any case, I have a pesky problem. My drivers side Xenon low beam seems higher than the passenger side. I can tell when I drive into my garage and on the wall in front of me it is clearly higher than the other beam.

Is there a way to adjust these units myself? I can remember you used to be able to turn a screw and it would aim the beams lower or higher. I checked last night and found no such screw to do this.

Anyone have any ideas???:ask_wsign

#2 ·
My LTD does have the Trailer tow option, which includes a load leveling rear suspension. So I guess that quasi makes up for it. But what about those that did not get the load leveling BUT have XENONS? When you would have a full load of people and gear it would for sure be pointing too high???:ask_wsign
Yes, they would be pointing too high. In many cars, the HIDs are aimed low for that reason, on purpose, and you can't adjust them. My mother-in-law's Acura TL is like that. The HIDs are so low, driving at night on dark roads pretty much requires the high beam lights anyway.

Is there a way to adjust these units myself? I can remember you used to be able to turn a screw and it would aim the beams lower or higher. I checked last night and found no such screw to do this.
Because HID lights have such a high potential for causing blinding problems in other cars, they are usually not user-adjustable. Take it to your dealership for adjustment.

#3 ·
HEADLAMP UNIT ALIGNMENT

HEADLAMP UNIT ALIGNMENT VEHICLE PREPARATION

1. Verify headlamp dimmer switch and high beam indicator operation.
2. Inspect and correct damaged or defective components that could interfere with proper headlamp alignment.
3. Verify proper tire inflation.
4. Clean headlamp lenses.
5. Verify that luggage area is loaded as the vehicle is routinely used.
6. Vehicles equipped with automatic load leveling suspension should be driven normally for approximately 5 km (3 miles) before attempting a proper headlamp unit alignment.
7. Fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kg (6.5 lbs.) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.

ALIGNMENT SCREEN (HALOGEN)

ALIGNMENT SCREEN CHRYSLER (HID)

1. Position vehicle on a level surface perpendicular to a flat wall 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from front of headlamp lens (4).
2. If necessary, tape a line on the floor 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from and parallel to the wall (3).
3. Rock vehicle side-to-side three times and allow suspension to stabilize.
4. Jounce front suspension three times by pushing downward on front bumper and releasing.
5. Measure the distance from the center of headlamp lens to the floor , (This is the axis of reference point and there will be a visible mark in the center of the lens), transfer measurement to the alignment screen with tape (1). Use this line for up/down adjustment reference.

HEADLAMP UNIT ADJUSTMENT (HALOGEN AND HID)

NOTE: Chrysler shown Dodge similar

Turn the low beam headlamps on so that they project on the screen. Adjust the upper edge of the high intensity zone cut-off (2) to project at the horizontal lamp centerline (1) for the halogen system. For the HID equipped vehicles, adjust the upper edge of the high intensity zone cut-off (2) 53 mm (2.1 in.) below the horizontal centerline (5). Horizontal aim is preset and cannot be adjusted. The high beam pattern should be correct when the low beams are aligned properly. To adjust low beam headlamp vertical alignment, rotate adjustment screw (1) to achieve the specified high intensity zone cut-off location.

#4 ·
Good info Kevin!! So, there is a way to adjust it without the dealer?

One question....is there a diagram or something to tell me where to locate the SCREW they talk about for the vertical adjustment?

To adjust low beam headlamp vertical alignment, rotate adjustment screw (1) to achieve the specified high intensity zone cut-off location.

#6 ·
Email sent dude. Thanks

#7 ·
That was EXACTLY the diagram I need. Many thanks my friend.

#8 ·
Just an FYI, but this works perfectly. I tried it this afternoon and now my XENONS are aimed perfectly.

#9 ·
It's been my understanding that vehicles with HID lowbeam headlights were required to have some form of in-cabin adjustment, not necessarily automatic. The HID's on my Mazda3 are as such, and have a 4 position dial by my left knee to dial them down if I have much cargo in the hatch, or heavy passengers.

Are the units in the new Chrysler minivans automatic?

#10 ·
No,, not at all. And as such was my problem. My drivers side XENON beam was higher than my passenger side.

But the described way in the posts above have fixed that.

As I had mentioned in my original post. I find it VERY weird that Chrsyler did NOT decide to put in automatic levelers with the vans that have the HIDs. Trailer tow option or not. It is a cheapout IMO.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#11 ·
I only see instructions for adjustment up at the headlight itself. I thought all HID lights in the US had to have IN-CABIN leveling. They could be manual adjustment, but still had to be in-cabin. Can you adjust the Chrysler minivan HID height from the driver's seat?

#12 ·
I was under that impression too as I mentioned in my original post. But alas, the 2008 LTDs do not have that feature. Stupid, IMO.

So, in my case, when one of them went too high...I needed to find a way to readjust. And the fix worked. I'm good now.

#13 ·
Hi Gumby,

I have a 2009 LTD that is wheelchair accessible. The rear air shocks were recently replaced & the rear of the van sits higher now.
Needless to say that I am now looking at the gophers. Can you pass on the diagram on how to adjust these headlights.

Thanks
Craig

#16 ·
Sorry to say but Gumby hasn't posted anything in over 5 years. :(
Hopefully someone else can help you with this issue.

#15 · (Edited)
There is a 7mm plastic hex screw on the top of the headlight at the back. This is for vertical adjustment. There is no horizontal adjustments.

For HIDs you want them going almost perfectly straight outward but w/ just a ever so slight downward angle. Pretty easy to do if you have a wall/fence running parallel w/ your vehicle when you are aiming. Do one of them this way. Then aim towards a wall from about 25 or more feet away. Then adjust the other light so that the top step matches the top step of the other headlight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.