The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently pulled out the "Hidden HItch" trailer hitch from my 2008 Grand Caravan, and buffed and painted it up to put into my (new to me) 2014 GC.

I took the liberty to pull the trailer hitch wiring components from my 2008 and took pics of how it was wired up.

I read that you needed to run wires all the way under the belly of the van to the battery, but from what i dismantled in my 2008, nothing of the sort was done. Instead the plastic wrap around the wires had a section removed, and a wire was "jumpered" in to make a new connection.

3 "jumpers" were contained in the Left Rear Light housing, with 1 single green wire running under and through the rear bumper to the Right Rear Lighting housing.

I will attempt to attach several pics showing the wiring path that the previous owner decided to do.

A few questions - does this wiring job pose any hazard to the van or trailer?

Also, is it ok to mimic this wiring job and do the same with my 2014, using the exact same wires? (i removed and kept the extra trailer wiring from my 2008 with the intention of re-using in my 2014).

I'm also attaching pics of the Hidden Hitch that i'm going to be installing into my 2014.

I'm unable to find any official torque numbers for installing the 5 bolts back into place with this hitch installed.

The bolt pattern on my 2014 is supposed to match exactly with my 2008, so this trailer hitch should fit no problem.

(below is pics of the hitch before it was cleaned up and repainted)

I googled and could not find anything. Is anyone familair with "Hidden Hitch" brand trailer hitches? Any info on the proper torque specs for installing it?

Many thanks, in advance.

THIS WIRING IS ALL IN THE REAR LEFT LIGHTING HOUSING
Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Electrical wiring Circuit component Gas Cable Auto part

RIGHT REAR LIGHT HOUSING with single green wire coming from left side.
Plant Automotive tire Luggage and bags Vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

THIS SHOWS THE METHOD THEY "JUMPERED" INTO EACH WIRE LINE. THIS IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT REAR LIGHTING HOUSING.

Electrical wiring Wood Cable Wire Electronic device

An explanation of which wires they tapped into, would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, below is a few pics of the "Hidden Hitch" brand trailer hitch i will be installing. Pics are before it was buffed and painted.

Hidden Hitch still installed on 2008 prior to removal.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt Fixture Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
Standard 4 wire trailer wiring is:
Yellow - Left turn/brake
Green - Right turn/brake
Brown - Marker lights
White - Ground

Those connections by the lights should be done better. I recommend solder and heat shrink. Water can get in and corrode the connection as is. The reason people say you need a wire coming from the battery, a trailer can have a high draw on the van's lighting circuit, especially if a wire snaps and shorts. Doing a fused wire from the battery to 3 relays will allow you to power your trailer lights directly without risking burning out your main lighting circuit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any recommendations for the torque amount when installing this trailer hitch into my 2014?

I spoke to a Hitch installer place near me, and they said that for the 15mm bolts they would torque to 53 foot pounds and for the 18mm bolts they would torque to 92 foot pounds.

This is all greek to me, but does this sound within reason or safe?

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
917 Posts
Any recommendations for the torque amount when installing this trailer hitch into my 2014?

I spoke to a Hitch installer place near me, and they said that for the 15mm bolts they would torque to 53 foot pounds and for the 18mm bolts they would torque to 92 foot pounds.

This is all greek to me, but does this sound within reason or safe?
Those measurements sound like the socket size for the bolt heads. To determine the proper torque value, you need the actual size of the bolt, such as M12X1.75, and the grade (10.9 preferably). Look up bolt torque charts on a search engine and cross-reference the dry torque for the size and grade.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
The hitch should come with instructions that specify a torque. Here's a video of the install, but no mention of torque specs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those measurements sound like the socket size for the bolt heads. To determine the proper torque value, you need the actual size of the bolt, such as M12X1.75, and the grade (10.9 preferably). Look up bolt torque charts on a search engine and cross-reference the dry torque for the size and grade.
Hey there, yeah from the videos I saw online, they all said it was 15mm and 18mm sized bolts respectively. Obviously the quality / structural integrity of the bolt would need to be suitable for a trailer hitch.

The bolts that I have available are already bolted into placeon my 2014 GC so I was just going to repurpose those bolts.

I would think that those bolts there would be intended for the future use of a trailer hitch, no?

Or would it be recommended to buy brand new bolts and discard the original 2014 mini and’s bolts in the place where the trailer hitch would be bolted in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hitch should come with instructions that specify a torque. Here's a video of the install, but no mention of torque specs.
i pulled this trailer hitch out of my 2008 and am putting it in my 2014, so no specs or documentation came with the hitch. Only the “Hidden Hitch” branded label was on it that was half peeled off and has since been removed.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
917 Posts
Based on the instructions posted by @Sienile, the existing bolts are re-used. 15mm and 18mm are the socket sizes, and the bolt sizes are M10 and M12, also mentioned in the instructions.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
Reuse the old bolts. That's what the instructions say and that's what I did to mine over 8 years ago. I know I've exceeded the rated tongue weight too, so they are more than up to the task.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts