The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks.

I was a long time member of the site when I owned a 2006 GC. I learned a ton from members here and did a lot of my own work. I'm a major car-guy at heart, do all of my own repairs, maintenance, welding (not great at it) as well as car painting (I have a cross draft spray booth in one side of my garage). My most recent project was a 2ZR (1.8 low mileage Corolla engine) dropped into my 2006 Yaris RS and then I installed a turbo kit, DIY water/methanol injection and HSD coilover installation. I did everything including the wiring and turbo piping modifications, installed a thermostatically controlled trans cooler, numerous gauges (boost, oil pressure, oil temp trans temp, AFR wideband etc, as well as a complete sound system with 7" Android touch screen with Torque Pro OBD2 engine monitoring and diagnostics). I did a full repaint of the car about 2 years ago If you're at all interested, you can check it out here:

Instagram

Anyway, enough about that...

The '13 T&C...

The good:

The van is fully loaded with options I didn't even know existed in cars. And...everything seems to work!
It drives beautifully, tight and quiet, but may need a wheel balancing. Slight wobble at around 120 km/h and above.

The yet to be undetermined:

I have done a lot of reading on the 62TE transmission. When cold, the first engagement into "D" bumps. I have spoken to Dodge and they say, almost for certain, that a TCM flash will solve this. The van is going in for a thorough inspection by Dodge (trans fluid level and condition). I'm also having them check the oil filler cartridge housing for leaks as that's another area that apparently typically has problems.

The Not Too Bad:

The hood has the typical bubbling (aluminum hood, poor factory primer/paint adhesion. The Toyota dealer owns a collision shop. I've had work done there and it's exceptional. They will have the hood repainted as part of the deal. The van will need rotors and pads (minor). The rotors a are a bit scored and there's some light pulsation braking at over 80 km/h.

If I do decide to buy, I hope to have it this weekend. However, I am all ears in terms of suggestions, recommendations from those who have experience with these vans. What else should I get checked out while it's at the Dodge dealership?

Reactions: stow_n_go_camper

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few more pics I took yesterday when my son and I first test drove it. The interior is in such great shape!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If it has Nav, make sure that is working. It has 17" wheels, so it should have the HD brakes, that's nice. Make sure the DVD/blueray player works on all the screens. A slight highway speed shimmy, in my case, was caused by a leaking strut. Look down in the lifter valley or little basins on the trans housing on the driver side for any pooling oil. That could mean the oil filter/cooler housing has a crack or bad seal. Not as much an issue for '13, but not unheard of.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
We missed you and will be glad to have you back. You can also tell us how the KIA Van turned out.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
It has all the bells and whistles, but not fully loaded.

Options
  • Driver Air Bag
  • Passenger Air Bag
  • Front Side Air Bag
  • Front Head Air Bag
  • Rear Head Air Bag
  • Climate Control
  • Multi-Zone A/C
  • A/C
  • Rear A/C
  • Security System
  • AM/FM Stereo
  • CD Player
  • ABS
  • 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
  • Cruise Control
  • Rear Defrost
  • Third Passenger Door
  • Fourth Passenger Door
  • Child Safety Locks
  • Floor Mats
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Door Locks
  • Heated Mirrors
  • Power Mirror(s)
  • Power Driver Seat
  • Power Passenger Seat
  • Pass-Through Rear Seat
  • Leather Seats
  • Bucket Seats
  • Power Steering
  • Adjustable Steering Wheel
  • Traction Control
  • Aluminum Wheels
  • Power Windows
  • Intermittent Wipers
  • Premium Sound System
  • Rear Bucket Seats
  • Satellite Radio
  • MP3 Player
  • Fog Lamps
  • Heated Front Seat(s)
  • Privacy Glass
  • Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers
  • Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Steering Wheel Audio Controls
  • Power Outlet
  • Engine Immobilizer
  • HID headlights
  • Automatic Headlights
  • Luggage Rack
  • Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
  • Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors
  • Driver Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Vanity Mirror
  • Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror
  • Mirror Memory
  • Rear Parking Aid
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Rear Reading Lamps
  • Driver Adjustable Lumbar
  • Seat Memory
  • Leather Steering Wheel
  • Remote Trunk Release
  • Tire Pressure Monitor
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • Bluetooth Connection
  • Remote Engine Start
  • Power Third Passenger Door
  • Power Fourth Passenger Door
  • Back-Up Camera
  • Power Liftgate
  • Stability Control
  • Auxiliary Audio Input
  • Heated Rear Seat(s)
  • Power Folding Mirrors
  • Hard Disk Drive Media Storage
  • Passenger Air Bag Sensor
  • Blind Spot Monitor
  • Knee Air Bag
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Requires Subscription
It is a very nice vehicle.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it has Nav, make sure that is working. It has 17" wheels, so it should have the HD brakes, that's nice. Make sure the DVD/blueray player works on all the screens. A slight highway speed shimmy, in my case, was caused by a leaking strut. Look down in the lifter valley or little basins on the trans housing on the driver side for any pooling oil. That could mean the oil filter/cooler housing has a crack or bad seal. Not as much an issue for '13, but not unheard of.
Thank you sir! Great advice. I've explained to the Dodge dealer about the shimmy, but will request that they check the struts. They did say that a service tech will test drive the van as part of the full inspection - all for $49.00. Seems too good to be true. That said, it's usually a gateway for them to do a bunch of expensive repairs. I, however, will be doing my own. I just want their diagnostic skills. 😁 Actually, if everything pans out though, I may have them drop the pan, refill with ATF and have them do the flash. I'd do the fluid swap, but they recommend a TCM flash after the fluid change and I wouldn't want to have to bring it back. The NAV does work, well, I might add, though the maps are out of date. I have no idea what map updates would cost. I had my 11 yr old son with me. It was his job to check the electronics, haha. He's pretty darn astute when it comes to that stuff. Thank you again. I really hope it works out. I'm pumped to own this van!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We missed you and will be glad to have you back. You can also tell us how the KIA Van turned out.
Jeepman! Thanks, I hope I'm back to stay. (y) This van is awesome. I should know by Friday if everything works out. The Kia was great. Had no issues whatsoever. It was just getting up there in mileage and - like most cars - I get bored and want a change. I sold the van about a year ago and bought a 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen (30000 kms on it). It drives great (amazingly smooth and tight), but what it taught us is that we really can't do without a minivan. We simply need the space with sports and a large dog cage to carry around.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It has all the bells and whistles, but not fully loaded.

Options
  • Driver Air Bag
  • Passenger Air Bag
  • Front Side Air Bag
  • Front Head Air Bag
  • Rear Head Air Bag
  • Climate Control
  • Multi-Zone A/C
  • A/C
  • Rear A/C
  • Security System
  • AM/FM Stereo
  • CD Player
  • ABS
  • 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
  • Cruise Control
  • Rear Defrost
  • Third Passenger Door
  • Fourth Passenger Door
  • Child Safety Locks
  • Floor Mats
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Door Locks
  • Heated Mirrors
  • Power Mirror(s)
  • Power Driver Seat
  • Power Passenger Seat
  • Pass-Through Rear Seat
  • Leather Seats
  • Bucket Seats
  • Power Steering
  • Adjustable Steering Wheel
  • Traction Control
  • Aluminum Wheels
  • Power Windows
  • Intermittent Wipers
  • Premium Sound System
  • Rear Bucket Seats
  • Satellite Radio
  • MP3 Player
  • Fog Lamps
  • Heated Front Seat(s)
  • Privacy Glass
  • Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers
  • Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Steering Wheel Audio Controls
  • Power Outlet
  • Engine Immobilizer
  • HID headlights
  • Automatic Headlights
  • Luggage Rack
  • Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
  • Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors
  • Driver Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Vanity Mirror
  • Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror
  • Mirror Memory
  • Rear Parking Aid
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Rear Reading Lamps
  • Driver Adjustable Lumbar
  • Seat Memory
  • Leather Steering Wheel
  • Remote Trunk Release
  • Tire Pressure Monitor
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • Bluetooth Connection
  • Remote Engine Start
  • Power Third Passenger Door
  • Power Fourth Passenger Door
  • Back-Up Camera
  • Power Liftgate
  • Stability Control
  • Auxiliary Audio Input
  • Heated Rear Seat(s)
  • Power Folding Mirrors
  • Hard Disk Drive Media Storage
  • Passenger Air Bag Sensor
  • Blind Spot Monitor
  • Knee Air Bag
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Requires Subscription
It is a very nice vehicle.
Hey Levy. It is very nice. I'm not sure what other options would be on a fully loaded van. I do know this one does not have the 1-touch stow and go. Come to think of it, I didn't notice that the folding mirrors folded. Is that supposed to happen when the van is shut down? That wouldn't bother me if they didn't work. That reminds, me, I have to ask them to have a quick look at the TIPM. Thanks.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
The Dealership will likely want to do a transmission flush rather than a less expensive pan drop and fluid/filter change. Chrysler frowns on flushes, the only flush required in the Owner Manual is for the coolant. The coolant could be 5 year or 10 year coolant depending on year. No HOAT on newer models, more like Dex-Cool.

Chrysler warning on fluid flushes

No Amsoil either. :)

Fix Dodge or Chrysler minivan car heater not working problem

Chrysler extends warranty on some 2011-13 V-6s

Common problem:
HEATER Y CONNECTION SPLIT OPEN

Made out of plastic, Dorman has an aluminum fix.

Make sure your sliding door lock actuators are all working as expected. Unlike the 4th Generation, the 5th Generations are a nightmare to repair.

Is this a certified vehicle from Toyota with a big checklist of inspected items. Don't trust them to have done a thorough inspection. I found a splash shield and a couple other problems on a vehicle that went through that type of inspection. Do they have a list of things they did to the vehicle like "turn the rotors"?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Dealership will likely want to do a transmission flush rather than a less expensive pan drop and fluid/filter change. Chrysler frowns on flushes, the only flush required in the Owner Manual is for the coolant. The coolant could be 5 year or 10 year coolant depending on year. No HOAT on newer models, more like Dex-Cool.

Chrysler warning on fluid flushes

No Amsoil either. :)

Fix Dodge or Chrysler minivan car heater not working problem

Chrysler extends warranty on some 2011-13 V-6s

Common problem:
HEATER Y CONNECTION SPLIT OPEN

Made out of plastic, Dorman has an aluminum fix.

Make sure your sliding door lock actuators are all working as expected. Unlike the 4th Generation, the 5th Generations are a nightmare to repair.

Is this a certified vehicle from Toyota with a big checklist of inspected items. Don't trust them to have done a thorough inspection. I found a splash shield and a couple other problems on a vehicle that went through that type of inspection. Do they have a list of things they did to the vehicle like "turn the rotors"?
Thanks for the info, Jeepman! The dealer selling the van won't be touching it, other than to balance the wheels for my second test drive. After I pressed them, they agreed to ship it off to Lexus (partner dealership) for a 55 point inspection. I called Lexus, spoke to their service manager and she said the 55 point didn't check any of the things I'm interested in. They won't check the fluid or for oil leaks - useless. The dealer tells me it's an "as is" sale. That's why I insisted on taking it to the dodge dealer. At first they tried to tell me that it's a great deal as it is and were reluctant to take it to Dodge, but I simply said I wouldn't buy it unless I could be assured there weren't major issues. They changed their tune very quickly.

I've asked the Dodge dealer to check the transmission fluid (I'm actually going to do that myself at the Toyota dealer lot. I discovered you can do it with the oil dipstick, a marker and the level spec print out, which I have). If all looks well, they will perform a TCM flash. I said if the fluid looked bad, I'd like a pan drop and refill plus new filter, then a flash and test drive. They said that they do not do flushes, but only pan drops. I am going to see if Dorman offers a pan with a drain plug for this van. I bought and installed one on my '06 van. This way, I can do the occasional drain and fill myself.

The other thing I'm getting them to look for is oil leaks. I've been doing some reading on the oil filter housings. If there is a leak, I'll pick up the part and install it myself. Seems like an easy enough job. I watched a few vids on it. I'll mention the above things to the Dodge dealer and have them check those too. I was aware of the cylinder head issue. I hope this all works out. It's such a nice van.

I'm good with doing some repairs, like rotors and pads and even the oil filter housing if it needs it. Any hint of transmission issues - unrelated to fluid - and I won't be going forward with the sale. I'm investing some money up front to be sure I get a sound vehicle. I'm willing to pay for an inspection, and if they assure me things are good, I'll pay Dodge for the fluid change and flash, then drive it again. To me it's worth spending a bit even if I don't buy it. Do I want to spend money on a vehicle I might not buy? Of course not, but I am willing to do so.

There's no way Toyota will do anything to ensure it's in good working order. Whatever Dodge finds in terms of needed repairs, I'll use to negotiate a lower price. They're down to $10K including the hood painting. If it needs repairs, such as the oil filter housing, I'll be asking for a further reduction in the order of $600.00 - $700.00, even though I'll do the repair myself. I'll also have Dodge quote out rotor and pad replacement. Then, I can go back to Toyota with some more bargaining power. Not trying to lowball them, but at the same time, I don't think potential customers are lining up to buy the van. Also, due to the age, it can't be financed, so a buyer has to provide cash. Then again, they may tell me to take a hike.

PS - I'll make sure the door lock actuators work on my next test drive.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
A bit more information per my PM to you.

The oil filter is the older type of cartridge filter.
2013 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.6L V6 Oil Filter | RockAuto
RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
www.rockauto.com

The Y fittings for heater lines: 2013 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.6L V6 Heater Hose Connector | RockAuto

Complaints:
Chrysler Town & Country Problems

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The issue with the oil filter housings is mostly early build 2014's.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The issue with the oil filter housings is mostly early build 2014's.
Good to know. Thanks. Hopefully it checks out undamaged. I was thinking that if I had to replace it, I'd remove the old one and thoroughly check for cracks. If it didn't have any, maybe just install the seal kit. I've seen tons of pics of flattened, dried out seals. Interesting design; having rubber (epdm or whatever) sitting directly on top of a hot engine block. I suppose though it shouldn't get ferociously hot as the unit has coolant going through it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Final Verdict

I had the van over at the Dodge dealer and it looks like they did quite a thorough job assessing the van. The techs general comments were that the van is very solid and in excellent shape. The atf was 1/2L low as there is a very slight weep at the pan gasket. Apparently the ATF is in decent shape but could use a change out. They did a good test drive, including up to about 120 km/h on the highway as well as around town. Axles and suspension components are in great shape. Every electronic system is fully functional. I specifically asked them to check the oil cooler and it's not leaking. I did have a chance to crawl under the van during one of my 3 test drive/visit sessions. At some point, the van had been undercoated - possibly as a initial factory option. This van is super clean underneath.

Here is a list of items that are not essential, but could use replacement/adjustment:

4 rotors and two pad sets
4 new tires
Pan drop, 6L of ATF, Line Counts Reset and Quick Relearn

I went back to the dealer and negotiated about a $1500.00 discount from the original asking price of $10999.00. So, I have decided to buy it. I'm having the buyer of my VW come to the dealer to do a paper trade, so I will save an additional approximate $1000.00 in taxes after the 'admin' fee.

I'm going to ask the dealer to take the van back to Dodge on Monday so that they can do the pan drop, filter replacement at ATF+4 top up. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that new Mopar 4726431AA 17" steel wheels are around $75.00 each. Another $555.00 for 4 Kelly Winter Access tires plus install and balance. I'll ask what they will charge in labour for the 4 rotors and pads, and if the install fee is reasonable, I'll just have them do it. If not, it's off to the Rock Auto website for significant savings and I'll do the brake job myself. Once that's done, the van will go up on our school shop hoist for a liberal application of Fluid Film underneath, engine bay etc. All inner body panels, doors, hood, rockers, doglegs etc will get thinner stuff like Rust Check.

As mentioned, I did my third test drive today. The van is very tight, quiet and shifts smoothly. Looking forward to bringing this baby home.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,978 Posts
Hey Levy. It is very nice. I'm not sure what other options would be on a fully loaded van. I do know this one does not have the 1-touch stow and go. Come to think of it, I didn't notice that the folding mirrors folded. Is that supposed to happen when the van is shut down? That wouldn't bother me if they didn't work. That reminds, me, I have to ask them to have a quick look at the TIPM. Thanks.
Just messing with you. This vehicle is very well equipped.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just messing with you. This vehicle is very well equipped.
LOL. I was serious, I really don't know what other options are available for these vans, other than the one touch stow 'n Go. It is well equipped. And every freakin' thing works. That rarely happens with an older used vehicle. I'll probably have some expensive repairs throughout my ownership. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Good to hear the purchase is progressing well. The Dealership will have Mopar brake parts. They will be expensive. They will also have parts distributed by Transbec or whoever, which are cheaper.
Your local Bumper to Bumper distributor may have good prices on Raybestos R line parts. Rotors are expensive to ship.
It would be interesting to know what corrosion protection was applied - soft or hard shell
The Chrysler Dealership may be able to provide you a maintenance report on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Good to hear the purchase is progressing well. The Dealership will have Mopar brake parts. They will be expensive. They will also have parts distributed by Transbec or whoever, which are cheaper.
Your local Bumper to Bumper distributor may have good prices on Raybestos R line parts. Rotors are expensive to ship.
It would be interesting to know what corrosion protection was applied - soft or hard shell
The Chrysler Dealership may be able to provide you a maintenance report on the vehicle.
Indeed, Jeepman. The front rotors are $107.00 each and the rears are $102.00 for the Mopars. Pads sets are ~$75.00 and ~$55.00 respectively. If I decide to do my own work, I'll buy the Mopars for quality and save on the labour. I would like to get coated rotors to at least stave off hat rust a wee bit longer. I usually repaint the hats with several coats of VHT ceramic paint anyway.

Apparently, dealerships only keep their own records. I did Call Chrysler Canada and got some info. The van had a few small items replaced under warranty. Can't recall exactly what they were, but I think a small console piece and a seat belt mechanism or something, maybe a rear louver window motor. No major parts. I wondered about the left cylinder head, but no recalls for this vehicle. There's no ticking and it's made it 148K kms, so I don't think the van had one of the faulty heads.

Since I want to get to know my van, I plan to remove the upper intake manifold and swap out the plugs. I expect it will be a good experience as I may have to do the oil cooler at some point down the road.

I spent some time pricing out floor liners. The MaxLiner product looks like the best price/quality balance. Link below. I just have to confirm if they work with the super console. They look like they are made by WeatherTech, but just with a different pattern. I can get a damaged box set for about $50.00 less. The previous owner put the WeatherTech trunk liner in. Speaking of the previous owner, he/she looked after the van well. I couldn't find a chip or ding anywhere. He/she installed that chrome door edge guard on all door edges. That will come off and get replaced with 3M paint film strips.

MaxLiner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts