The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Horn starts honking when unlocked with valet key

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Pgh_AL 
#1 ·
I do not have an alarm system. This must be a standard feature on my 2020 Dodge GC RT. When I opened the driver door with the valet key, the horn started honking and would not quit until I pressed the unlock on the fob. I haven't experimented with it, but I wonder if there is another way to stop it from honking. It would be good in most situations, but not when I am changing oil or something I need to do.

#2 · (Edited)
Valet key? no mention of it in my 2006 DGC Owner Manual. I don't know that they use those anymore. The only mention (based on search function) of valet is as follows:
Key Fob
The Key Fob operates the ignition switch. Insert the square end of the Key Fob into the ignition switch located on the instrument panel and rotate to the desired position. It also contains the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter and an emergency key, which stores in the rear of the Key Fob.
The emergency key allows for entry into the vehicle should the battery in the vehicle or the RKE transmitter go dead. The emergency key is also for locking the lower glove compartment. You can keep the emergency key with you when valet parking.
To remove the emergency key, slide the mechanical latch at the top of the Key Fob sideways with your thumb and then pull the key out with your other hand.
I guess you need a transmitter handy when unlocking your door.
Thieves can actually duplicate your transmitter's signals while you sleep or sit in your living room. They need that to bypass your basic OE security system.

#4 ·
I am talking about the metal key. My owner's manual calls it a valet key, so that is what I called it. I had an extra made that I keep in my wallet so if I accidentally lock it with the key fob in it, I will be able to get back in.

#5 ·
I'm only finding one mention of "valet" in the 2020 Dodge GC Owner Manual. Here it is (Page 9):
You can keep the emergency key with you when valet parking.
I do see this though (Page 9):
NOTE: When using the emergency key to gain access to your vehicle, be aware that the security alarm may be triggered. Insert the key into the ignition and place the ignition in the ON/RUN position to disarm the security system.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#6 ·
I got this from my 2008 manual, page 14:

Integrated Ignition Key
The integrated ignition key operates the ignition switch.
It also contains the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter
and a valet key, which stores in the rear of the
transmitter.
WIN Ignition Positions

#7 ·
I see that in the 2020 manual they changed from "valet key" to emergency key. page 11:
NOTE:
The key fob may not be found if it is located next
to a mobile phone, laptop or other electronic
device; these devices may block the key fob’s
wireless signal.
The emergency key allows for entry into the
vehicle should the battery in the vehicle or the
key fob become depleted. You can keep the
emergency key with you when valet parking.

I don't do valet parking as of now. I do use the key if I want to warm up the car outside to change the oil. It is more of an emergency key for me, though I have not left the key in the ignition in a long, long time.

#9 ·
I don't do valet parking as of now. I do use the key if I want to warm up the car outside to change the oil. It is more of an emergency key for me, though I have not left the key in the ignition in a long, long time.
Is the metal key useful for anything beyond opening the door on a vehicle with a dead battery, or when the key fob is left in the car and the doors are locked? Thanks,

#8 ·
The metal key is just that, an emergency key that will unlock the driver's door. You should actually remove the metal key when you give the FOBIK to a valet.

I think the RT (now GT?) has a standard factory alarm (and remote start), so what you are describing makes perfect sense.

#10 ·
No, it is not. It is a security blanket that I always keep a key to the door in my wallet. I might accidentally lock the car with the key in the ignition. It will not do anything but open the door. On the 2020 the horn will honk until I unlock it with the key fob.

#13 ·
How could it be an emergency key if it stores in the RKE ? Likely it wouldn't do any good if you either lost it or locked it in the car .

I have a real emergency key I just have a regular key i had made at Wal-Mart . I also have a magnetic key box that i hide on / under the car

Should i lock myself out with the RKE inside ( and i have ) all i have to do is retrieved the key and im in.

#14 ·
How could it be an emergency key if it stores in the RKE ? Likely it wouldn't do any good if you either lost it or locked it in the car .

I have a real emergency key I just have a regular key i had made at Wal-Mart . I also have a magnetic key box that i hide on / under the car

Should i lock myself out with the RKE inside ( and i have ) all i have to do is retrieved the key and im in.
It's to be used in the "emergency" that the RKE battery is dead.

#16 ·
You do have an alarm system that's why the horn blows when you open the door with the key . I added this feature to my 09 TC and it acts the same way . It's not wired to the door key lock like other cars . If you use the RKE it wont blow .

I have the same thing . Next time you lock you door with the RKE look in at the dash you will see a red light flashing rapidly keep watching it .It will start to flash slower .When it flashes slower it is set . If you open any doors without the RKE the horn will blow

I added it to my 09 and my 2010 TC already had it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.