The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Long time listener, first time caller here. Just got a 2016 T&C:T and I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1.) The horn has a second's delay, which has nearly resulted in an accident at this point. Saw someone mention removing a fuse, but that was 2 years ago and a different model.

2.) When I turn off the headlights, I expect darkness - NOT MORE LIGHTS. Is there a computer I can interface with to set that nonsense to a realistic setting?

3.) Anyone have any leads on a "bull bar"? Not just a brush popper, but something that at least extends over the forward lamps.

Thanks for your time!
G

·
Registered
40 Posts
The lights - I turned mine off through the steering wheel controls and navigating the menu on the dash in my 2008. I was just playing with the buttons on the steering wheel and scrolling through the menu and came across the setting to turn them off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lights - I turned mine off through the steering wheel controls and navigating the menu on the dash in my 2008. I was just playing with the buttons on the steering wheel and scrolling through the menu and came across the setting to turn them off.
I played with it a little when I got home. I believe that setting only affects the delay and key usage settings. My apologies for the lack of specificity. The "parking" lights come on when the car is put into drive, whereas my Chevy can be completely dark when driving. If I am missing it, let me know and I will go through again in the morning. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of the function where it turns the headlights on when you lock the car. Coming home function.

As for turning off the parking lights, or would it possibly be considered Daylight running lights I dont know.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
With the lights, if you turn the ignition off before the lights, the lights will stay on for a bit giving one time to get to their house door, or whatever. Turning the lights off before the ignition will put you into darkness.

Sounds like you have the DRL function. That's a good feature.

Bull bars were discussed on here previously but not much available, if I remember correctly.

I never realized my horn has a second's delay. Then again I never use my horn. Why are you using yours? Oh, I know, it's the bulls. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the lights, if you turn the ignition off before the lights, the lights will stay on for a bit giving one time to get to their house door...

Sounds like you have the DRL function. That's a good feature.

I never realized my horn has a second's delay. Then again I never use my horn. Why are you using yours? Oh, I know, it's the bulls. :)
I don't know about it being a good feature, since it's now an issue of being unable to stop my vans from using lights while in drive. I may have to repost with a correction, since I haven't been able to edit my original post. I just want the lights to turn off like they're supposed to when I ask them too.

As for the horn, a double tap gets me through, but, I cannot play music or beats with a horn that doesn't go off when I press it. Seems like it's dangerous that I cannot fire off a toot or blast instantly, to safely let other drivers and pedestrians know something Ludacris this way comes.

That's a good thread to avoid that brand of bar for sure. I've got a soft lead on a couple places that will custom make them, but oy the monies...

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the old days the horn blew when you pushed the button.
Today, when you push the button, you are humbly asking the computer to blow the horn and there is a delay

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,743 Posts
I played with it a little when I got home. I believe that setting only affects the delay and key usage settings. My apologies for the lack of specificity. The "parking" lights come on when the car is put into drive, whereas my Chevy can be completely dark when driving. If I am missing it, let me know and I will go through again in the morning. Thanks!
What if you turn the light switch to Off instead of Auto?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/QUOTE]
What if you turn the light switch to Off instead of Auto?
I mean, I am qualified to do so and happened to mention it in the OP that I had. When I turn off the lights, the parking lights come on when the vehicle is put in gear. Even in the off position.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In many States and Provinces it is a legal requirement to have DRL. It’s been proven many times over that it increases safety. I suspect manufacturers are simply complying with that.

Why anyone would want to override that is beyond me, unless you’re trying to outrun the law and need your vehicle to be able to go dark to slip away into the darkness?

Also, what sort of situation are you getting yourself into where a one second delay of the horn almost causes an accident?

Sometimes when I want to send a quick blast to a friend as I’m leaving their driveway to say bye, I agree it can be annoying. But I’ve never considered it to be ludicrous nor to be a safety concern. Just the reality of the way the vehicle was designed.

Every vehicle has “something” about it that some people hate, and others love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
i can't imagine having a delay on my horn, that's absolutely ridiculous

just last week, two days in a row i had two drivers pull out in front of me, it took all my vans brakes and my horn to prevent an accident

vehicles only have one auditory way to communicate between drivers, why compromise that when every second can count in an emergency?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So curiosity got the better of me and I’m sure my neighbors think I’m losing my marbles now, but I just went out to “play” with the horns in my vehicles.

If I push on the horn, the delay isn’t even measurable. It’s not a full second delay at all, it’s less, it’s just not “instantaneous”. If I push the horn (more than just tap it) it sounds, every time. What doesn’t always work though is trying to just “toot” the horn, as in a really quick short honk, like I would use if I wanted to just catch someone’s attention. That is definitely hit and miss because if I just quickly hit the horn it doesn’t always sound. Interestingly, when sounding the horn and then letting go, it’s doesn’t “instantaneously” go off either. It takes the same fraction of a second to stop.

Out of further curiosity, I then got in my Acura MDX and low and behold I found the same fraction of a second “delay” in the horn, as in it’s not instantaneous. Only difference with the Acura is that it responds better to short taps than the T&C does. Even repeated short taps all sound, just with a fractional delay.

My conclusion then is that in a panic situation where I need my horn and need it NOW, there is no doubt that the horn responds and sounds long and clear.

I can live with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
It sounds like you are referring to the DRL’s if you can’t turn them off in the drivers menu on the speedometer you need to get alfaobd to turn them off. I’ve deleted the drls on every car I’ve ever owned, there is a way to do it one way or another.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You got me intrigued- I just went out and had a play with my 2008- headlights go on/off when I turn them on/off irrespective of what gear I’m in.
The horn does have a perceivable delay but not a significant one but what I did notice is the button seems to have a lot of play before the switch activates. If I press my horn button it moves down easily a fair way then to make the horn sound it takes a harder press to activate the switch. I could conceive that as been disconcerting pressing the button and nothing happens. When it takes a good hard press to make it work. I can’t accidentally activate the horn.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,743 Posts
I mean, I am qualified to do so and happened to mention it in the OP that I had. When I turn off the lights, the parking lights come on when the vehicle is put in gear. Even in the off position.
Not so sure about that. Are you sure is not the stop lights what you are seeing?

I can drive my vehicle completely dark, not even the stop lights shine if I don't want to.

I live in a ranch and sometimes I need to drive at nigth without being noticed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not so sure about that. Are you sure is not the stop lights what you are seeing?

I can drive my vehicle completely dark, not even the stop lights shine if I don't want to.

I live in a ranch and sometimes I need to drive at nigth without being noticed.
Negative. On the little 'O' at the knob, next to auto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You got me intrigued- I just went out and had a play with my 2008- headlights go on/off when I turn them on/off irrespective of what gear I’m in.
The horn does have a perceivable delay but not a significant one but what I did notice is the button seems to have a lot of play before the switch activates. If I press my horn button it moves down easily a fair way then to make the horn sound it takes a harder press to activate the switch. I could conceive that as been disconcerting pressing the button and nothing happens. When it takes a good hard press to make it work. I can’t accidentally activate the horn.
I'm going to check that. If it's similar to trigger-slack, I can work with it some more. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like you are referring to the DRL’s if you can’t turn them off in the drivers menu on the speedometer you need to get alfaobd to turn them off. I’ve deleted the drls on every car I’ve ever owned, there is a way to do it one way or another.
AlfaOBD? Firing up da Google again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts