The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In many States and Provinces it is a legal requirement to have DRL. It’s been proven many times over that it increases safety. I suspect manufacturers are simply complying with that.

Why anyone would want to override that is beyond me, unless you’re trying to outrun the law and need your vehicle to be able to go dark to slip away into the darkness?

Also, what sort of situation are you getting yourself into where a one second delay of the horn almost causes an accident?

Sometimes when I want to send a quick blast to a friend as I’m leaving their driveway to say bye, I agree it can be annoying. But I’ve never considered it to be ludicrous nor to be a safety concern. Just the reality of the way the vehicle was designed.

Every vehicle has “something” about it that some people hate, and others love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRL's are active when set to 'Auto,' so I'm not sure what that issue would pertain too. Perhaps I am in a neighborhood and don't want to have my lights point into people's homes, maybe I am a private investigator, or perhaps I do actually want to slip away into the night after a dastardly deed, it shouldn't matter. DRL are required in some municipalities, which the 'Auto' setting covers under the laws. Off should be off. That's what off means.

As for the horn, those situations are too numerous to list, but that shouldn't matter. Suffice to say I'm driving along any number of streets and highways where other people drive. Quite frankly ANY delay in the operation of any signal device in a vehicle at all puts the lives of myself, my passengers, and other individuals in danger. There is no equivocation here, when a literal split-second horn toot has saved my life in my Chevy and I can't instantly honk at the bloated sack of protoplasm in a Chrysler who is flying into my lane, while it is still occupied by me. There is no way in back I could drive like this to somewhere like New York City or Miami...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Canadian van, without Auto headlights. There are 3 positions to the knob - off, parking, and on. Off will activate the DRL's unless the vehicle is in park, or the parking brake is engaged. DRL's use the high-beam bulb with low-power (making it a lot dimmer). Parking will turn on dim orange lights on the front, and the rear lights on. On - well, that's pretty self-explanitory. Since DRL regulations are totally different in the States versus Canada, I'm guessing the above won't be correct for American vehicles... Without pulling fuses though, no way to sneak around a ranch with a Canadian car...

Now you have me curious about the horn. I'll try it next time I'm in the van... Can't even remember the last time I used it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
DRL's are active when set to 'Auto,' so I'm not sure what that issue would pertain too. Perhaps I am in a neighborhood and don't want to have my lights point into people's homes, maybe I am a private investigator, or perhaps I do actually want to slip away into the night after a dastardly deed, it shouldn't matter. DRL are required in some municipalities, which the 'Auto' setting covers under the laws. Off should be off. That's what off means.

As for the horn, those situations are too numerous to list, but that shouldn't matter. Suffice to say I'm driving along any number of streets and highways where other people drive. Quite frankly ANY delay in the operation of any signal device in a vehicle at all puts the lives of myself, my passengers, and other individuals in danger. There is no equivocation here, when a literal split-second horn toot has saved my life in my Chevy and I can't instantly honk at the bloated sack of protoplasm in a Chrysler who is flying into my lane, while it is still occupied by me. There is no way in back I could drive like this to somewhere like New York City or Miami...
Looks to me like you’ll be left with no other choice but to:

1) sue Chrysler and make them see the ghastly error of their ways,

2) find another vehicle that doesn’t compromise your specific and obviously very important needs,

3) learn to live with it these major engineering flaws as hundreds of thousands of others have.

I’m sorry if this sounds sarcastic, because it is. I’m on my second T&C and have never seen either of these issues to be worth making a big deal about. To each his own. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 2 T&C Touring vans, a 2014 I bought new, and a 2007 I recently got to replace my 2000 DGC sport which got too costly to keep going @ 167K miles.

I was very disappointed the '14 did not have DRLs. An appeal to the dealer to change the programing to give DRLs produced no results. As an alternate, during the daytime I drive with the parking and fog lights on.

On the other hand, the '07 surprisingly does have DRLs. I expect it started life as a fleet van, and came so equipped.

I can't imagine why anyone would not want DRLs. A few years ago I came within a hair's breadth of getting T boned at a dark and shadowy intersection due to not seeing a dark colored vehicle speeding through. I know, I should have been looking more carefully, but I'm sure I would have seen him if he had some lights on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wanted to pop in and mention a horn delay problem I had with my 2002 SVT Focus.

The horns themselves were positioned in such a way that they collected a lot of water in them. Over time the horn seemed to respond more slowly, and then after being garaged for a winter they quit entirely.

I sprayed a bunch of BreakFree lubricant into the horns and let it soak overnight then drained them and the problem was solved.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts