The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather's just gotten cold. Heater seems to be not working. On a mini-trip today there was no heat until 35 mins in when accelerating up a big hill and the engine was @ high revs.

Any idea what's wrong ? ?

On a possibly related note the front passenger side floor got really wet a few times this summer while using the AC. I'm assuming that's a blocked exit vent ? ? Where exactly is this so I can free it up ? ?

Many thanks in advance.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You have no coolant in the engine, or a blocked heater core. With the engine cool, take the radiator cap off and make sure the radiator is full to the top with coolant. The level in the overflow bottle means nothing unless you can tell it is empty.

The stuff on the floor could have been coolant if it had a "funny" smell to it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What about a stuck open thermostat? As for the floor being wet, the drain may be clogged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought about the thermostat...... More investigation needed.

Where's the drain located ? ?

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
You have no coolant in the engine, or a blocked heater core. With the engine cool, take the radiator cap off and make sure the radiator is full to the top with coolant. The level in the overflow bottle means nothing unless you can tell it is empty.

The stuff on the floor could have been coolant if it had a "funny" smell to it.
Sounds like low coolant level in the radiator (below heater pipe level) to me as well. Working, going up a steep hill, confirms it I think.

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
I had thought about the thermostat...... More investigation needed.

Where's the drain located ? ?
Short stub, located through the firewall on the passenger's side. Might be easier to see from underneath.

·
5000 Club
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Topped off the coolant and heater works fine. I have a tiny leak somewhere. Last time I topped it off was 2 months ago. Put maybe a liter in today.

Thanks for the link about the drain tube. :)

·
5000 Club
5,726 Posts
Ok you're loosing coolant. Watch for puddles under the car. If you're parking on gravel or the like, slip a sheet of card board under the front of the van. Your leak will show up better. Common leak points are hose connections, the radiator, rusted rear heater lines and the weep hole on the water pump. If you don't see any evidense of a leak, it could be either dripping on the exhaust or sliping past a head gasket and getting burned during combustion. Watch for any evidense of white smoke out the tailpipe or oil in the coolant.

Watch that "wet" on the floor. As was stated you may have a heater core leak. Coolant has a "sweetish" smell to it and is a bit slippery between the fingers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I park in a carport but there's never any liquid underneath. It's being lost at a tiny amount i'd say. I'll lift the oil cap later to see if it's passing the head gasket. I live in a condo so can't really do work on my car unfortunately. I will try to investigate the blocked exit vent tho.

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
Yea, I park in a carport but there's never any liquid underneath. It's being lost at a tiny amount i'd say. I'll lift the oil cap later to see if it's passing the head gasket. I live in a condo so can't really do work on my car unfortunately. I will try to investigate the blocked exit vent tho.

I would check around the radiator real carefully, especially down the sides and along the top, for some wetness. The heat from the radiator is evaporating the coolant as it leaks, hence little if any making it to the ground. Also the leak can be very small, temperature sensitive and only happening (opening up) when the coolant is hot and closing up on cool down and pressure release.
Also don't rule out getting a pressure test done to help determine the source.
A leaky head gasket possibly, but check the simpler things first. Checking the dip stick and motor oil for evidence of water is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts