The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country that I have converted to a van camper. This past weekend I got to my campsite, hopped out of my van to look around for the best placement of the van on my campsite. When I went to get back into the van it was locked with the keys inside. How did that happen?? I have no idea because I did NOT lock the doors. Anyway, my two little pugs were in the front seat and just luckily I had the passenger window down just enough that I could get my arm inside to open the door. Whew. had I not had the window down it could have been a very bad outcome as it was very hot out. So I want to get just a key cut for my van and hide it somewhere outside of my van (wheel well or some place). Can I simply pull the key out of the FOB and take the key to the hardware store and have a key cut? Do I have to get a FOB as well and have it programmed?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
620 Posts
One of the dogs likely stepped on the lock button on the door. You just need the key in your pocket/wallet to open the door.

Reactions: beretta96

· Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
188 Posts
My van and my Nissan Versa have this problem. I never get out of the car now without dropping a window far enough to get my arm in if the key is inside. Sometimes I even hear it click as it locks while I am standing 20 ft away. My stepson broke his arm when his nissan rogue locked on him while he was out getting the mail, tried to walk up the icy driveway to get his spare key when he slipped on the ice.

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Yes you can get a key cut. No need to get a chipped/security key just a standard key. Note though, the horn/security system will fire off when you open the door after unlocking. You will need to grab the old keys and start the vehicle to cancel the alarm.

· Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2010 does same thing,locks by it self,I carry 2 fobs,also inside fuel door I igorila taped a spare key only,these cars are crazy I am so sorry I bought it,am 82 and don't need these headaches,2000 toyota 4runner never any thing except tune ups same milage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts