The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from SD Truck Springs, and now my headlights are too low when on.The owners manual shows how to remove the headlight assembly and the bulbs, but I haven't found how to adjust the beams. The three screws used to hold the assemblies are a given, and that just leaves the little screw/bolt in the cutout that I assume is the adjusting screw. My guess is that I need to turn the screw in to raise the beam, and loosen it to lower the beam. Is that correct? And I'm going to use trial and error on how much to raise the beams by shining the lights on my garage doors and turning the adjusting screws a quarter-turn at a time on each headlight until I think they look about right, and then using a road test to see how they seem.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
Please don't duplicate postings!

Look at this one from a week or so ago:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't duplicate postings!

Look at this one from a week or so ago:

Wasn't an intentional duplication and wouldn't have happened at all if I could get a search function to work since the redesign of this site. Would someone please let me know how to go about searching for threads?

Back to the original question in this thread, it's interesting that my supposed adjustment directions were reversed from what they actually are, I would have been lowering the beams even more. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
...Would someone please let me know how to go about searching for threads?...
Under the Site Navigation menu (three vertical dots) there is an Advanced Search, it's not as good as the old Advanced Search, but better than the standard search.

This link will take you there directly: Advanced Search.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under the Site Navigation menu (three vertical dots) there is an Advanced Search, it's not as good as the old Advanced Search, but better than the standard search.

This link will take you there directly: Advanced Search.
THANK YOU, georgef! I see those dots up at the right side in the header at the top of the page and it does work for me.. Anyway to post the search function directions as a sticky(or did I miss it)?

·
Registered
624 Posts
from SD Truck Springs, and now my headlights are too low when on.
Sooooo, how well do these helper springs work???? I've looked at those and the Hercules as well. BUT, the Niovmat has my interest too.

The Road Master kits are just soooo expensive now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sooooo, how well do these helper springs work???? I've looked at those and the Hercules as well. BUT, the Niovmat has my interest too.

They've been great so far.Now these are considered "add-a-leaf" springs, not helper springs. I believe the difference is that these actually slip into the old leaf spring and look just like a leaf spring. These ran $219.99 plus s/h(about $248 total) and actually weren't too bad to install. They add 700 lbs carrying capacity and raise the back end at least an inch, maybe a little more. I have the stow-n-go rear seats(stowed) with a Buddy wheelchair/scooter lift mounted in the back, so I was pretty back-heavy. There was one particular intersection where I would always just barely scrape no matter how slow I went. Now I haven't scraped at all since the add-a-leaf springs were mounted, and I don't need to slow down like before, so I'm very pleased. Here's the site: https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/add-a-leaf-kits/dodge?cPath=395_397&sort=2d&fltBrand[]=21

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts

Nivomat. Do it the way Chrysler intended, the expensive way, for pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nivomat. Do it the way Chrysler intended, the expensive way, for pennies on the dollar.
I was actually still thinking of putting a used set of Nivomats on, even with the "add-a-leaf" springs, because I was thinking of putting a trailer hitch on so that I can haul my boat(16') with the minivan. Might be overkill, but I bet it'll never bottom out again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was actually still thinking of putting a used set of Nivomats on, even with the "add-a-leaf" springs, because I was thinking of putting a trailer hitch on so that I can haul my boat(16') with the minivan. Might be overkill, but I bet it'll never bottom out again.
Your sig didn't mention what engine size your van has. Is it the 3.8L? Thus, it would be good for towing the boat. The 3.3L would be groaning. The 3.8L TB on the 3.3L engine would help some.

I do like your observation. "... They add 700 lbs carrying capacity and raise the back end at least an inch ..." When my van had 2 teens and 5 adults and luggage, we scrapped too. My son said, Dad we took a bit of pavement on that last hit. Thus, I feel that Chrysler went a bit toooooo cheap with the rear suspension to safely call it a 7 passenger van. A 700-lbs boost would be great.

Was the cost for a pair of springs? The image for Model:510-445 seems to be just that.

My van is from the south, thus the leaf hanger bolts are clean threads at this time. So, adding this kit would be easy. This leaf actually sits under the original OEM leaf. I really like their detailed instructions and the descriptions on how to build this up with the 'correct' hardware. Looks like much engineering thought went into this kit.

As Edy pointed out and the detailed instructions list, a good quality shock is ideal. Guess the Nivomat would fit the job perfectly.

General Notes - All Kits
  • Tires and other suspension parts must be kept in good repair.
  • We recommend a good quality heavy duty shock absorber be installed with these kits.
  • Brakes must be in good repair.
  • For vehicles equipped with brake proportioning valves, refer to appropriate manufacturer's service bulletins at your Local O. E. Dealership.
  • Dayton Parts, LLC Taper Extra Leaf Kits are designed to help light duty vehicles carry their maximum design loads more safely,
DO NOT EXCEED THE MANUFACTURER'S GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (GVWR).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi M-M, yes, the spring kit price is for everything needed(springs, mounting hardware). It really is a complete, well thought out package, and the instructions are good and make sense to follow. My van(it is a 3.8l) is from Florida originally, so everything was nice and rust-free also, quite different from those that have spent their life here in Pa. My boat and trailer is only about 1,000 lbs with a tongue weight of 100 lbs, so it shouldn't be much of a struggle to haul it.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
Anyone reading this topic should look into Gabriel Hi-Jackers (air shocks). For ~$75 USD they work great for us and are easy to install.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi M-M, yes, the spring kit price is for everything needed(springs, mounting hardware). It really is a complete, well thought out package, and the instructions are good and make sense to follow. My van(it is a 3.8l) is from Florida originally, so everything was nice and rust-free also, quite different from those that have spent their life here in Pa. My boat and trailer is only about 1,000 lbs with a tongue weight of 100 lbs, so it shouldn't be much of a struggle to haul it.
I've been sideline due to health reasons in the past 2 weeks. Been looking at the detailed instructions for the Dayton Add-A-Leaf Kit. While going in for my PT appointment, A van pulled up. It had the wheel chair ramp out the slider door. I stopped to glance at the back end, even squatted down, hunched over. That van too had the extra Add-A-Leaf. Not sure what brand though. The van also had a great high-top. It didn't look bulky like some people transports look. I couldn't tell one bit if the back end looked raised. Maybe the high-top gave that level look to the van.

I've made an account on the that site, have a set in the CART. Just waiting for checks to clear to order.

BTW, glad the kit has EVERYTHING. It drives me nuts when ordering something and you get 1/2 thru the instructions and it then says to assemble widget-12 to other widget-17 (not included). I try to read the instructions before buying if I can.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Anyone reading this topic should look into Gabriel Hi-Jackers (air shocks). For ~$75 USD they work great for us and are easy to install.
I've not trusted air-shocks in the past decade due to failures. BUT, the van does have Gabriel Pros on it. 😁

The shocks for the most part are not the issue, it's the other hardware that fails. Then you go to replace those parts, cannot find replacements easily without buying another kit. frustrating really. The worse part is, they failed in the winter when I needed them. Hope your set lasts. I'm still too skeptical and skittish to go back and try that again.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
The Gabriel air shocks compensate for the weak, single-leaf rear springs.

I've had early-failure air shocks on company cars, but when I install them (two vehicles, now) they work well. Our van's installation is going on its third year without issue. Including 'loops' in the air lines where they flex is key, that way they don't stress the seals.

As I mentioned in our installation topic, I tried two different sets of regular shocks, trying to get what I perceived as proper damping. The Gabriels not only level the car, they control the bouncing well IMO.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The Gabriel air shocks compensate for the weak, single-leaf rear springs.

I've had early-failure air shocks on company cars, but when I install them (two vehicles, now) they work well. Our van's installation is going on its third year without issue. Including 'loops' in the air lines where they flex is key, that way they don't stress the seals.

As I mentioned in our installation topic, I tried two different sets of regular shocks, trying to get what I perceived as proper damping. The Gabriels not only level the car, they control the bouncing well IMO.
Since I'm up north now and the roads are insanely bad, high frost heaves and holes deep to swallow a basket ball with no trouble, an air shock system failure could happen. With hardware, not as tubes and pressure, I would lean going the Add-A-Leaf route. PLUS, sort-of like your air shocks, the Nivomat's would be the second stage afterwards.

I've towed for many years. Both HD trucks and trailers and long haul. Unless there is an OE commercial air shock system, the aftermarket is still not fully reliable.

Good to hear you have 3+ yrs now on your air shock system in your region. Do inspect them at least twice a year. Spring/Fall would be the best times.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
Do inspect them at least twice a year. Spring/Fall would be the best times.
For sure... 👍

Due to the small amount of air volume in leveling shocks, they are VERY sensitive to changes in ambient temp. As a matter of fact, it is likely that running air shocks with insufficient pressure is a factor in their early demise. I check ours whenever I check tire pressures, much more often than 2X a year.

·
Registered
624 Posts
For sure... 👍

Due to the small amount of air volume in leveling shocks, they are VERY sensitive to changes in ambient temp. As a matter of fact, it is likely that running air shocks with insufficient pressure is a factor in their early demise. I check ours whenever I check tire pressures, much more often than 2X a year.
I would check them each and every time I had to pull out with the 32ft travel trailer with the 1998 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the 5.9L/360cid.

Thus, with the Add-A-Leaf, no baby sitting the air shocks. 🍼 👶👀

·
Registered
624 Posts
OK, got the 510-455 kit ordered tonight. (y) I have to use the van next month fully loaded with adults and cargo. Hope to put my son back there to say we did NOT scrap the pavement after the upgrades.

Then it will be the Nivomats in the Spring. pun too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, got the 510-455 kit ordered tonight. (y) I have to use the van next month fully loaded with adults and cargo. Hope to put my son back there to say we did NOT scrap the pavement after the upgrades.

Then it will be the Nivomats in the Spring. pun too.
They are pretty quick with shipping, so you should have time for the install. Did you say that your van is a southern one? If so, a clean undercarriage will make it easier, too. And that was an awful pun! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts