The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
My van was made in St. Louis in spring of 2001. I got the van in 2005, and the high-beams just were not doing the job. Turns out some idiot in the factory had adjusted the lights using the low beam target, while the high beams were on! This meant the beams were pointed way too low. The problem was really obvious when I used the wall technique to re-adjust the lights.
Seems a bit harsh considering someone else could have adjusted the lights in the 4 years between when it was made and when you got the van.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
It's my experience that most automakers adjust the low beams with the full rated load in the vehicle. So if you primarily travel with driver and a passenger in the front seat, they are too low.

I adjust the headlight aim whenever I obtain a new car! (Or change bulbs)

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
Not so sure about that, as not many drive with full load on a daily basis.
I had a Honda that I used for work, always carried 800 lbs in it. The headlight aim was spot-on when it was loaded to that extent.

After I retired and started driving the car empty, I had to adjust the aim UP.

Its probably a liability thing. Its not just Hondas or Dodges.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,908 Posts
I had a Honda that I used for work, always carried 800 lbs in it. The headlight aim was spot-on when it was loaded to that extent.

After I retired and started driving the car empty, I had to adjust the aim UP.

Its probably a liability thing. Its not just Hondas or Dodges.
Well, let's wait for more responses.

I never had to adjust headlights on a new vehicle due to being driven empty.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
I drive FAST. (Notice my avatar: "Drivin' Maniac") Perhaps that is why I'm sensitive to low aim. 🤪

·
Registered
624 Posts
When I adjust my headlights, I find a wall next to level ground, and do it at night. The back of a shopping center usually works. I park about 25 feet from the wall, and measure how high the headlights are from the ground. I draw a line on the wall with chalk at the same height, and turn on the high beams. Keep turning the screw until the center of the beam is just below the middle of the mark.
I don't use chalk, but blue painters tape. This way, I don't mark up my neighbors garage. :D

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
What, nobody uses spray paint?

(just kidding)

·
Registered
624 Posts
People here who knows me knows I do a lot of heavy duty trailering, I don't need o will provide any proof to you.

You are not supposed to see my posts anyways.
So only a selected amount of people who know you would understand what you define as heavy trailering??? You don't want to say what trailer weight or tongue weight you use as it would help those who tow with a regular setup of the single-leaf.

As for not seeing your postings, guess you don't know about the forums offering the ignore posting in thread or peek to click option to read the posting. I can see any of your postings if I so choose to 'click' on that peek link option to display it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,908 Posts
So only a selected amount of people who know you would understand what you define as heavy trailering??? You don't want to say what trailer weight or tongue weight you use as it would help those who tow with a regular setup of the single-leaf.

As for not seeing your postings, guess you don't know about the forums offering the ignore posting in thread or peek to click option to read the posting. I can see any of your postings if I so choose to 'click' on that peek link option to display it.
Yes, I know exactly how this site works.

I opted to still see your post because it is really funny how you guys claim the T.B. "upgrade" changed your lives. Even give you guys an extra transmission gear.

Really funny.

I was really tempted to bring that thread back to life once more, but I will just wait until some of you guys do it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, I know exactly how this site works.

I opted to still see your post because it is really funny how you guys claim the T.B. "upgrade" changed your lives. Even give you guys an extra transmission gear.

Really funny.

I was really tempted to bring that thread back to life once more, but I will just wait until some of you guys do it.
Still not sharing how heavy towing is done? Guess it's an inside secret not to share. 💀

As for the extra gear in the transmission, I don't follow you on that one. Nobody slipped in any extra gears that I'm aware of. 🤣

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,908 Posts
.....As for the extra gear in the transmission, I don't follow you on that one. Nobody slipped in any extra gears that I'm aware of. 🤣
The only way to explain this is with an extra transmission gear:

Ran a few errands this morning. Noticed some tack differences and how the transmission shifted.

With the OE 3.3L TB, 45MPH in top hwy gear maintained 1,500RPMs.

With the 3.8L TB swap, 49MPH in top hwy gear maintained 1,5000RPMs.

With the OE 3.3L TB, 60MPH in top hwy gear maintained 2,100RPMs.

With the 3.8L TB swap, 60MPH in top hwy gear maintained 1,880RPMs.

Now about the transmission shifting. The 3.3L always has a pronounced shift feel no matter how lightly one used the gas pedal. I've felt this on 3 difference 3.3L Caravans and know this is just the nature of the OE setup. What was a major surprise with this 3.8L TB swap is, the transmission shifts soooo smooth, it's almost not even noticeable. This shifts even better than the 3.8L when I had the 2005 SXT.

So, my question goes out to all of the other folks here who have done the 3.8L TB swap onto the 3.3L engine, have anyone else made these observations too?

Ran a few errands this morning. Noticed some tack differences and how the transmission shifted.

With the OE 3.3L TB, 45MPH in top hwy gear maintained 1,500RPMs.

With the 3.8L TB swap, 49MPH in top hwy gear maintained 1,5000RPMs.

Now about the transmission shifting. The 3.3L always has a pronounced shift feel no matter how lightly one used the gas pedal. I've felt this on 3 difference 3.3L Caravans and know this is just the nature of the OE setup. What was a major surprise with this 3.8L TB swap is, the transmission shifts soooo smooth, it's almost not even noticeable. This shifts even better than the 3.8L when I had the 2005 SXT.

So, my question goes out to all of the other folks here who have done the 3.8L TB swap onto the 3.3L engine, have anyone else made these observations too?

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only way to explain this is with an extra transmission gear:
Ah, LEVY, this is the thing that folks see in you. You did put words in my mouth that I never even typed or spoken about. Going back to my original posting, this line above was not there. These are your words, not mine. You should have stated per YOUR OPINION it must have been an extra transmission gear, not by claiming it was another member here.

Thus, I never stated, having an added gear in the transmission.

I did state in that very long TB thread that the transmission used in the Caravans are the ULTRADRIVE. Then I had provided the links for this. You need to understand the ULTRADRIVE transmission to know that the shift points can change when variables change in the vehicle setup. Thus the EMCC will behave differently. The EMCC controls the kick-up and kick-down shift points with the spring loaded paddles and valving. Basically, having the larger 3.8L TB on the 3.3L is enough to change the EMCC behavior for the ULTRADRIVE to kick into gears smoother and at lower RPMs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultradrive

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/41TE.html

So ... I've answer YOUR query of YOUR OPINION having an extra gear scenario.

Now answer mine. Tell me, how do you heavy trailer with a single-leaf spring Caravan? Since this is part of thread discussion here. There are thousands of folks who read these forums DAILY, WEEKLY and YEARLY, and get here via search engines looking for answers. Why hold back an answer like this, should it work??? You would be helping the community here as a whole.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,908 Posts
Ah, LEVY, this is the thing that folks see in you. You did put words in my mouth that I never even typed or spoken about. Going back to my original posting, this line above was not there. These are your words, not mine. You should have stated per YOUR OPINION it must have been an extra transmission gear, not by claiming it was another member here.

Thus, I never stated, having an added gear in the transmission.

I did state in that very long TB thread that the transmission used in the Caravans are the ULTRADRIVE. Then I had provided the links for this. You need to understand the ULTRADRIVE transmission to know that the shift points can change when variables change in the vehicle setup. Thus the EMCC will behave differently. The EMCC controls the kick-up and kick-down shift points with the spring loaded paddles and valving. Basically, having the larger 3.8L TB on the 3.3L is enough to change the EMCC behavior for the ULTRADRIVE to kick into gears smoother and at lower RPMs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultradrive

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/41TE.html

View attachment 56966

So ... I've answer YOUR query of YOUR OPINION having an extra gear scenario.

Now answer mine. Tell me, how do you heavy trailer with a single-leaf spring Caravan? Since this is part of thread discussion here. There are thousands of folks who read these forums DAILY, WEEKLY and YEARLY, and get here via search engines looking for answers. Why hold back an answer like this, should it work??? You would be helping the community here as a whole.

If you are driving on top gear (4th gear in your case), and the T.C. locked up, then there is no way any T.B. or EMC can change RPM's at any given speed. Only way to lower RPM's is to add another gear.

Have you noticed no one else answered your question if they noticed same thing?

Now, back to your question as how I could pull a heavy trailer with a one leaf van?

Will not answer that question, but someone with trailering experience will easily understand how I did it.

·
Registered
624 Posts

If you are driving on top gear (4th gear in your case), and the T.C. locked up, then there is no way any T.B. or EMC can change RPM's at any given speed. Only way to lower RPM's is to add another gear.

Have you noticed no one else answered your question if they noticed same thing?

Now, back to your question as how I could pull a heavy trailer with a one leaf van?

Will not answer that question, but someone with trailering experience will easily understand how I did it.
I guess you can have your OPINION on the matter. That's fine. Others did chime in saying they had similar effects.

Did you read up on ULTRADRIVE? Most likely not.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Folks, should you take the advice of LEVY for heavy trailering with the 4th gen having a single-leaf rear suspension setup, please use strong caution. Nobody has chimed in here with 'trailering experience' to back up any of his OPINIONS on this matter, nor would he even explain what he means by heavy trailering. He plumb just refuses to explain himself. Thus, should you entertain to tow with this wimpy setup, ask the folks on RV.NET. Mostly in the tow-able pop-ups in the ultra-lite classification. Personally, I still would not do this. https://www.rv.net/forum

41 - 56 of 56 Posts