The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle is a 2005 Town and Country. Is the piston used in the rear caliper the type that needs to be both rotated and compressed in order to be retracted? Or is it the "standard" style piston that just needs to be compressed with a C-clamp?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
DO NOT ROTATE!!! UNLESS THEY ARE CLEAN!!!

Below is not related to the our vans, but a good primer on it.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/diy-brake-rotor-pad-change-brembo-equipped-5-0-a-501151/

The tool used listed on Amazon for this one:

Unless they are as clean as the Old spice dude, You can cause some damage to the seal. ( Been told, may be old wives tale?)

As far as I know, I don't recall hearing anything about using this tool. Maybe it is just BREMBO specific.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the link and the advice. I am questioning whether the 4th generation vans rear calipers have rotatimg pistons because I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of rear brake replacement on these vans where the piston was retracted just using a C-clamp.

By the way, I did buy the same tool that you posted, but am wondering if it is needed for my year van.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
No special tools needed.
A standard C clamp will work fine since the parking brake is not built into the calipers on the Gen4 vans.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2005 only required a c clamp....My 2008 required the piston to be rotated. I bought a tool for that at Harbor Freight

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
Don't hurt yourself Googling it. :biggrin:

Look up a Gen4 and a Gen5 van on Rock auto.
Gen4's use parking brake shoes, Gen5's do not.
Also you can see pictures of the calipers with and without the parking brake cable attachment points. :wink:

Reactions: imickey503

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the answers.

With the Generation 4 rear brakes, besides making sure the parking brake is not engaged, do you have to release the parking brake shoes at the rotor/hub before pulling the rotor?

I think back to when I did drum brake shoes, in order to get the wheel off, I had to reach into the access hole on the back of the brakes with a small screwdriver to rotate a star gear which released the brake shoes. I was wondering if this procedure is necessary for the Town and Country brakes, too.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
Thanks for all the answers.

With the Generation 4 rear brakes, besides making sure the parking brake is not engaged, do you have to release the parking brake shoes at the rotor/hub before pulling the rotor?

I think back to when I did drum brake shoes, in order to get the wheel off, I had to reach into the access hole on the back of the brakes with a small screwdriver to rotate a star gear which released the brake shoes. I was wondering if this procedure is necessary for the Town and Country brakes, too.

Thanks again
The rear rotors "should" just pull right off since the adjusters on this set up don't automatically rotate to take up the clearance like the ones in a drum service brake do.
If there is a rust lip on the rotor hat it can get hung up on the parking shoes.

This thread shows just what you’re talking about.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...4-Useful-Tool-for-Parking-Brake-Shoe-Adjuster

A pivot pin that is frozen can cause issues getting the rotors off too.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...made-remedy-for-seized-parking-brake-actuator

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I use a c-clamp with a old kitchen knife handle to evenly push it back,so the clamp is not on the piston but the handle,

don't forget to pump the pedal before moving the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts