The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People are always so amazed that I have T-Mobile for my cell phone carrier instead of AT&T and also have an iPhone. They always ask how I do it. Well this is how you unlock a 2G iPhone(1st generation) with the 3.0 upgrade (the newest iPhone firmware). This also jailbreaks it (which allows "aftermarket" apps to be used) and installs Cydia (the "aftermarket" app store to get those free apps from). The iPhone 3G and 3GS are a little different, if you'd like to know about those, just ask me. It's very simple actually.

When you download all the necessary files from the links below, I recommend saving them all to a new folder on your desktop called "iphone" or something of the sort so its easy to find them all.

You will need RedSn0w 0.7.2 which you can download here along with the iPhone 2G 3.0 firmware file available for download here. You also need the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader files. Download 3.9 here and 4.6 here.

Once you have downloaded everything, extract redsn0w-win_0.7.2.zip to a location on your computer. You should see redsn0w.exe. Run it.

Click Browse.

Find your iPhone 2G 3.0 firmware file you downloaded earlier. Select it and click Open.

RedSn0w tells you that the ISPW is successfully identified. Click Next.

There will be a quick pop up....
"Preparing Jailbreak data"

Select your options to Install Cydia and Unlock. If you don't need to unlock your iPhone 2G you can de-secelct Unlock

If you are unlocking you need to located the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader .bin files you downloaded earlier.

Now that you have told RedSn0w where the bootloader files are click Next.

At this point you should make sure your iPhone 2G is plugged into your computer AND turned off. Click Next.
Follow all the instructions on this screen. The iPhone must be plugged in AND turned off. Turning it off and THEN plugging it in will result in an automatic power on. (lol)

RedSn0w gives you instructions. We are entering DFU mode now. First hold the power button for 3 seconds.

Keep holding the power button and start holding the home button for 10 seconds.

Release the power button but continue holding the home button for 30 seconds.

RedSn0w does its thing. Let it.

Finally RedSn0w has finished loading everything onto your phone. You will see a pretty screen on your phone as it is being Jailbroken and Unlcoked. Don't mess with your phone while all this is going on. After your phone restarts you are done!
Click finish and enjoy your iphone, the none AT&T sim card you've inserted will now work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should have take screen shots when I did my 3G. But it's basically the same thing with out the bootloaders and installing Ultrasn0w. :)

Did you enable native MMS on your 2G?

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have take screen shots when I did my 3G. But it's basically the same thing with out the bootloaders and installing Ultrasn0w. :)

Did you enable native MMS on your 2G?
Yes I did. I just installed an app from Cydia called "ActivateMMS2G". Made it simple.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I know tons of people with jailbroken iphones. Beware that sometimes the software can just crash and "brick" your phone.

As I am recently new to the smart phone segment I considered the iphone 4 but went another route.

I went with Verizon and the Thunderbolt. The phone operates just as well (maybe better) than the iphones I have used and the Verizon 4g network is blazing fast. 20meg download speeds are absurd, I live with a 3meg connection at my house lol.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know tons of people with jailbroken iphones. Beware that sometimes the software can just crash and "brick" your phone.

As I am recently new to the smart phone segment I considered the iphone 4 but went another route.

I went with Verizon and the Thunderbolt. The phone operates just as well (maybe better) than the iphones I have used and the Verizon 4g network is blazing fast. 20meg download speeds are absurd, I live with a 3meg connection at my house lol.
I've been done with those heaps they call iPhone's for some time. It's almost impossible to brick an iphone as long as you have itunes. Just click restore.

I've had my share of HTC's, currently with the MyTouch 4G. I'll be getting a Motorola Droid X when we switch to Verizon. (can't stand AT&T and they just bought T-Mobile) HTC's quality control is horrible. All 5 of my 4G's have had dust get under the top left of the screen due to a huge gap they left up there. 2 of my Mytouch 3g's had dead pixels and my Mytouch 3g Slide was just cheap plastic that creaked. Don't even get me started on the HD2 I had or my Aunt/Uncle/Cousins/Friends that have the Evo 4G. Sheesh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts