The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my DGC new in 2014 and I still have it with 80000 miles. I want to know what has failed or worn out on your Chysler product that you had to replace. Tell me your year and mileage and list your parts. Go!

2014, 80,114mi
Rear self leveling shock absorber
RHB radio failed recently
Tires
Headlight bulbs

The one shock was more than the radio...

·
Registered
330 Posts
For my 2017 DGC SXT @ 128,000 KMs (78,500 miles):
  • Applied underbelly rust protection spray (within 3 months of buying)
  • Replaced Worn out brakes - rotors & pads on all 4.
  • Replaced Worn out ALL Season tires (rubber) - all 4
  • Replaced 2 x rear brake calipers (1 leaked so I replaced both)
  • Installed LED H11 bulb for low beam upgrades
  • Installed Light switch to create "always on" headlights
  • DIY Hopkins backup camera (points at trailer hitch ball).
  • Class III hitch
  • Inertia technology Brake Controller
  • rear 7 pin connector (to connect to trailer's with electric brakes).
  • Bought spare black steel rim (used old rubber) as in garage spare
  • Timbren SES units + 1/2" spacer (for trailer towing / hauling)
  • Installed 2 x D-Rings on rear hatch inside door panel
  • Four x Mopar steel black rims and winter tires (rubber).
  • Replaced engine's factory "plastic" Oil fill/filter Assembly" unit under warranty
  • Installed 8 mm LED light in its Center console cup holder holes.
  • Extra rear LED red lights - for curb side rear cargo space loading.
  • New wheel nut replacements (solid nuts from Amazon)
  • Key lock gas cap (due to high price of gas costs)
  • Recently bought online parts for future DIY Transmission oil/filter change.
  • Recently bought online Dorman Aluminum Oil Assembly (for future replacement).
Overall, above items are for Towing, Hauling, brakes, tires and safety increase upgrades (like better / more lighting). Almost the same items in our other / run-about vehicle as well.... Only surprise thing was its factory "plastic" Oil fill/filter Assembly parts replacement. I still don't understand why Dodge/Mopar uses plastic engine parts. Sad Face...

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,820 Posts
Family DGC SE bought brand new off the lot in 2009, has been used as a family van since. It has just under 200K kilometers (under 124K miles).

The only failures I've experiences was on 2 occasions, the power steering pump hose blew off in the winter when it was -27C (-16F) and not starting on 2 occasions, one was because I messed up the brake light switch and it drained the battery and the other I was testing out electronics in the van and it also drained the battery. I did have my headlights "flicker" last year but cleaning grounds and contacts fixed that.

The only things done to the van are service items and adding features, which the van now has pretty much every available factory option. Unsure the maintenance before 100K, as I wasn't doing it then.
-Original all season tires and front pads at just over 100K kilometers,
-Power steering fluid at 100K and 150K
-Coolant at 150K
-spark plugs at 170K
-One headlight bulb, the rest of the bulbs are all original
-Original battery at 180K
-Brakes at 180K
-Installed headlight LED's just last week at 195K
-And oil changes and filter every 10K kilometers or less.

The transmission fluid is being flushed in the coming weeks, the fluid looks brand new which is crazy at it's current mileage.

If you count the options I had added to my van's "base model" since I did "replace" or "add" them, I added: 3 zone auto climate, swapped clusters to add a tach then swapped that to add the evic, amplified infinity 10 speaker system, fog lights, factory remote start and antenna, overhead console with dual screens and dvd player, rear power inverter, BT, backup camera, swapped radios for a touch screen REN, then upgraded to RBZ, then upgraded to a 2018 RHB, upgraded BT modules to add bt streaming, upgraded screens to bluray and added HDMI port and USB chargers, heated leather seats for front and middle, added power fold 3'rd row seat, sun shades, illuminated sun visors with homelink, auto headlights, auto high beams, auto dim center mirror, auto dim driver side mirror, chrome mirrors with turn indicators and heated, blind spot system and park assist but need to mount parking sensors, partial memory seat system need to mount switch, power liftgate, entire brake upgrade to HD, and probably more options I've left out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very early, but great to see that there are no engines, transmissions, etc on the two lists.
Family DGC SE bought brand new off the lot in 2009, has been used as a family van since. It has just under 200K kilometers (under 124K miles).

The only failures I've experiences was on 2 occasions, the power steering pump hose blew off in the winter when it was -27C (-16F) and not starting on 2 occasions, one was because I messed up the brake light switch and it drained the battery and the other I was testing out electronics in the van and it also drained the battery. I did have my headlights "flicker" last year but cleaning grounds and contacts fixed that.

The only things done to the van are service items and adding features, which the van now has pretty much every available factory option. Unsure the maintenance before 100K, as I wasn't doing it then.
-Original all season tires and front pads at just over 100K kilometers,
-Power steering fluid at 100K and 150K
-Coolant at 150K
-spark plugs at 170K
-One headlight bulb, the rest of the bulbs are all original
-Original battery at 180K
-Brakes at 180K
-Installed headlight LED's just last week at 195K
-And oil changes and filter every 10K kilometers or less.

The transmission fluid is being flushed in the coming weeks, the fluid looks brand new which is crazy at it's current mileage.

If you count the options I had added to my van's "base model" since I did "replace" or "add" them, I added: 3 zone auto climate, swapped clusters to add a tach then swapped that to add the evic, amplified infinity 10 speaker system, fog lights, factory remote start and antenna, overhead console with dual screens and dvd player, rear power inverter, BT, backup camera, swapped radios for a touch screen REN, then upgraded to RBZ, then upgraded to a 2018 RHB, upgraded BT modules to add bt streaming, upgraded screens to bluray and added HDMI port and USB chargers, heated leather seats for front and middle, added power fold 3'rd row seat, sun shades, illuminated sun visors with homelink, auto headlights, auto high beams, auto dim center mirror, auto dim driver side mirror, chrome mirrors with turn indicators and heated, blind spot system and park assist but need to mount parking sensors, partial memory seat system need to mount switch, power liftgate, entire brake upgrade to HD, and probably more options I've left out.
WOW! I am interested in these two things "upgraded BT modules to add bt streaming, upgraded screens to bluray". Did you write any of this up, part numbers etc? Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,820 Posts
Very early, but great to see that there are no engines, transmissions, etc on the two lists.

WOW! I am interested in these two things "upgraded BT modules to add bt streaming, upgraded screens to bluray". Did you write any of this up, part numbers etc? Thanks for the response!
If your van is a 2014 and has Uconnect, you will have BT streaming already. The swap was mainly for early gen vans, (2008-2010) as bt streaming wasn't available until the 2011 model year. The modules are pretty much identical with the newer version having a 3'rd plug which goes to the glove box for the USB charger/Ipod. I made a thread of adding BT, the photos are the version which does not support BT Adding factory Uconnect DIY I don't have part numbers right now

As for the Bluray screens, the 2013 model year and up replaced the existing screens for bluray, and that is both single and dual systems. So if you have a factory VES screen, it will be bluray. The size of the screen is still a 9" screen just like the non bluray, however the resolution has doubled and has way better image quality. They also swapped the ves dvd player below climate controls for one that says "blu-ray" on it and has way fewer buttons, and also added a HDMI port on the driver side C-pillar panel along with 2 USB chargers. I can send comparison photos through PM if wanted.
The tell tale sign you have Blu-ray is the black screen background opposed to the light blue/white. And when you open the screen, it will say "Uconnect" below the dodge or Chrysler logo, non-bluray screens will never say Uconnect.
Here is my van when i had a bluray 3'rd row and non bluray 2'nd row for comparison. The bluray dvd player doesn't work in pre 2013 year vans.
Mode of transport Air travel Vehicle Gadget Automotive design

Part numbers for the bluray screens are:
P1WH73HDAAB 3'rd row (3'rd row for dual screens, 2'nd row for single screen)
P1WH70HDAAB 2'nd row (2'nd row screen only present in dual screen systems)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I am embarrassed! I have had the van since 2014 and I never knew I could BT stream. I was fine with plugging in an AUX cable all this time. Didnt know I had it so I didnt miss it. Oh well! I am connected now and will use it if I need it.

Since you are so fluent with these vans, have you ever heard of a key command to push on the remote to drop the windows? I heard it was on the 2013 model but they shut it off on the 2014. Would you know how to get it back?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,820 Posts
Thank you! I am embarrassed! I have had the van since 2014 and I never knew I could BT stream. I was fine with plugging in an AUX cable all this time. Didnt know I had it so I didnt miss it. Oh well! I am connected now and will use it if I need it.

Since you are so fluent with these vans, have you ever heard of a key command to push on the remote to drop the windows? I heard it was on the 2013 model but they shut it off on the 2014. Would you know how to get it back?
I still lean things about these vans I never knew, so we are all on the same boat! The BT streaming works when you connect your device to bt, then after up to 20 seconds after your phone connected the "AUX" tab will go from being greyed out to press-able, when you hit it it should default to streaming mode. If you have a jack plugged in, you still gotta wait the few seconds then in aux mode hit "devices" and select bt streaming.

And yes I do infact know that feature, you press the unlock button once and the second time you hold it down and the front windows will roll down as long as you keep holding the unlock button. That feature was available only until 2010, 2011 did not have it. To get that feature, you will need to swap out the front door modules to 2008-2010 ones, then you'll get the feature!

·
Registered
141 Posts
2014 C/V - 101k
new tires all around (400$) mounted and balanced myself
oil cooler - (0$) done under warranty at 40k
brakes , pads, rotors (three times) and 1 caliper - (about $400) done myself
62TE transmission at 69k (4000$) done by garage with reman
windshield (twice, cracked horizontally when cornering) ($600) done by safelite
LR tail light assembly (150$) done myself
replace factory trailer lighting receptacle (50$) done myself
battery replaced this year ($200)
Radio (went at 55k) (150$) rebuilt by some company on ebay
cost of van new - 19k

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
269 Posts
I have a 2008 Dodge GC with about 160,000 miles. I have replaced these parts.
Spark plugs and wires
Catalytic converter and O2 sensors (unnecessary)
Brakes with front rotors twice, rear rotors once.
ABS module
Left front door window regulator twice
left strut mount bearing
third brake light
one windshield washer nozzle
replaced heater hose Y connectors with brass

that is all other than tires and wiper blades

·
Registered
7 Posts
2015 GC American Value Package (code for “stripped”) with compact spare as the only option
Bought in Dec 2014 for $18,998. With taxes, registration, and various fees added by dealer, $21,125.
Mileage: 52,300

Replacements:
$800 at 35,000 miles replaced 4 tires before 6,000 mile trip.
$200 at 48,600, Dec 2021 new battery.Old battery lost a cell after only 7 years.
Yearly oil & filter changes

Repairs
$40 to replace oil pressure sensor. Got scary check engine oil pressure code. It was **** to change this sensor working deep in the valley using 1 or 2 fingertips!

All in all, I’m happy so far. This is low option, but a luxury car for me. Excellent AC, good radio with aux input, plenty o power, safety features, etc. Of course, my comparison is with a 1967 122s Volvo wagon.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
2014 GC AVP. build date 10/13, purchased 11/13, closing in on 80,000 miles.

One set of tires, 2 - 3 sets of wiper blades
yearly cabin filter
one air filter
10,000 mile oil changes
LH rear wheel bearing (~$36 ebay)
rear rotors/brakes, only because it was disassembled for above wheel bearing
THAT'S IT! Even have the original battery! I'm sure if I didn't do my own oil changes, the 2014 early build oil cooler/filter assembly would have had to be replaced. The AVP's simpler design has saved me money and headaches.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,642 Posts

Feature was axed in 2011. You can get it with the older door modules.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
229 Posts
09 T&C Limited. The only items out of routine maintenance have been injectors at 175K and transmission "rebuild" under lifetime power train warranty at 180K. Zone rep refused to authorize reman transmission. Local dealer had the part in stock, would have had van back in 2 days. Instead I was sent twice each to two dealers and finally to a third before zone would authorize the dealer rebuild. 5 MONTHS TO GET THIS DONE. Rep could never be contacted, hid from me. No phone, no email. Three letters to chairwoman went unanswered. Completely unacceptable behavior.
I've been a Chrysler only customer since 1970. Currently own 5 Ram diesels and 5 minivans. There obviously is no Chrysler anymore and I'll never buy or recommend a Peugeot product again.

Reactions: Red14RT

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased my DGC new in 2014 and I still have it with 80000 miles. I want to know what has failed or worn out on your Chysler product that you had to replace. Tell me your year and mileage and list your parts. Go!

2014, 80,114mi
Rear self leveling shock absorber
RHB radio failed recently
Tires
Headlight bulbs

The one shock was more than the radio...

I bought my 2014 limited with 34K miles on it. It now has 84K. All I have ever spent on it is tires, oil changes, and a thermostate replacement. Other than the CD player quit working it's super reliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2009 DGC 4.0L with 140,000 miles: My list includes routine maintenance items and some preemptive replacement parts. I'm a believer in replacing parts before they fail completely or if it makes sense because of other repairs. For example, when you replace the timing belt, you are wise to replace the water pump, the timing belt tensioner, and the spark plugs. It is simply too much work, and cost, to have to go back and replace $50 water pump one, two, or even 5 years later.

Here is the list of parts I expected to have to replace:
Brakes, pads, rotors - three times
Timing belt - roughly 120,000 miles
Water pump - roughly 120,000 miles
Timing belt tensioner - roughly 120,000 miles
Spark plugs - roughly 120,000 miles
Lower ball joints - 140,000 miles (last month) (did brakes at same time)
Front hubs - along with ball joints (probably should've replaced these sooner since they were getting really noisy)
Stabilizer bar end links - along with ball joints
Note: none of the front end work was critical, nor affecting drivability. The wear was either visibly noticeable (ball joint boots cracked) or was contributing to growing rattles (likely end links).
Battery - 3 times?
Tires - 2 sets
Oil and filter (not more than 5,000 miles. Don't hate me, I know modern synthetic oils, which I use, can go much longer. It seems like my oil usage starts to increase at a faster rate at this point. Instead of dumping more new oil in with the old, I just change it all.)
Air filter - as needed
Wiper blades

Unexpected repairs
Leather driver seat bottom cover - roughly 20,000 miles (started to crack, warranty repair)
Leather passenger seat bottom cover - roughly 100,000 miles (started to crack)
Headlight assemblies - 130,000 miles (clouded, this probably belongs more in the expected repairs)
Radio - 115,000 miles (functioned fine, but left and right display edges were not fully illuminating. $30 replacement from someone on Facebook Marketplace who took one out of their Jeep)
Window flags - 115,000 miles (These are the black plastic and triangle pieces near the front mirrors. The rubber edges were turning to goo.)
Note: The seat bottom cover, headlight assemblies and the window flags, and radio were still pretty serviceable. I replaced them simply because they bugged me. A couple hundred bucks a year to replace something like this, pulls me back from thinking it is time to drop $50K or more on a new vehicle.
Windshield washer nozzle - 134,000 miles
Driver side window regulator - 70,000 miles
Driver side window channel/moulding - 120,000 miles
Heater hose Y-pipe - roughly 80,000 miles (common problem with the mold seams leaking - replaced this with another molded plastic one)
Heater hose to the Y-pipe - roughly 110,000 miles (Opted to replace the whole assembly that included the bottom hose, a metal Y-pipe, and the two top hoses. This was a Doorman part. It pains me to say this, but the Doorman assembly (surprisingly) is really well made and a better choice than OEM)
Gas Cap - 75,000 miles (would no longer seal and was setting an emission code and check engine light)
EGR valve - 135,000 miles (causing unexpected and inconvenient stalling, took a while to figure this one out since it never set any codes)
Belt tensioner - 132,000 miles (probably should've replaced this at 0 miles under warranty. This was more of just an annoyance than anything else. It was causing a loud chirping when turning steering wheel to extremes. I've heard other vans make this noise, so I suspect it is a day-one factor part defect.)
Transmission - 128,000 miles (Yep, sorry to spoil someone's happiness above that they had not seen this on the list yet. In all honesty, my driving probably contributed to its early demise. I did not opt for the 3.3L for a reason.)

Unexpected pending repairs:
Bank 1 catalytic converter (dealing with a P420 code)
Potential TIPM repair (dealing with a fan circuit high voltage code P480 code)

Summary: The vehicle is 13 years old and has cost me under $3,700 in unexpected maintenance, $2,800 of which was a transmission. I have done all of the repairs, except the transmission, so the remaining $900 doesn't reflect labor. Car has never been garaged and southern weather is hard on exposed rubber and plastic parts (headlights, mirror flags, washer nozzle, leather seat cushion cover). It is also starting to show its age, such as paint blemishes and dings, but it really runs and drives as well as when we bought it. I may have to spend another $2,000 to replace the catalytic converter and repair the TIPM, but if this buys me another 5 years, it is far cheaper than anything new off the lot today.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler T&C Touring L 44,500 miles (Brilliant Black w/Black Leather)
16 Posts
My 2015 T&C Touring L has 44,500 miles. I have only had to change the oil and filter every 5000 miles using (5W20 Synthetic) and I am on my 2nd set of Michelin Tires. I change wiper blades every year. I purchased a Dorman 17" rim and now have a full size spare that I keep in the back. I do this because I travel at night quite often when tire stores are closed and I don't want to be stranded without a spare. I am still on the original battery. My totals are as follows.

8 Oil changes @ approx $60 each: $480
7 pair of wiper blades @ $35 each: $245
4 Michelin X Tour A/S (Sam's Club) $803
1 Dorman 17" steel rim for spare $75
Grand Total: $1,603

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a forensics check on my dead battery, found two low cells, if I had thought to pry off the cover I could have prevented that. I didnt realize that cover could be removed, not easily, but a very thin blade screwdriver near one end (not ON the end) will get it started and then just work your way to the end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts