The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

This is my 2005 Chrysler Voyager 3.3L, driven 131,000 Km (~81000 miles). I have owned this car for a couple of months and I am a bit concerned about the engine sound. To me it sounds rather ticking, tapping or rattling. The audio isn't perfect, but I would like to hear your opinions on how does it sound. Does it sound like something would be wrong?

The engine runs well, there is no actual trouble with it, but I just don't enjoy the sound of it.

I found this video on youtube, which sounds very much the same:

On that video, there was a problem with the timing belt. I wonder if my voyager has the same problem, or does the sound come from something else, or is there any strange sound to you?

Of course I wish it would be just normal engine noise and nothing too serious... :)

Thanks in advance!

-Daniel

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,717 Posts
Hello,

I'm too lazy to watch those videos but, reading your post, I can tell you this, I sold my 2006 DGC with over 317,000 miles on it, engine was very quiet but, I changed engine oil every 3000 miles.

Reading what others post, I believe some noise is fine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I watched and listened to your video, and that does NOT sound like a normal 3.3L engine running to me. I've got a 2006 Grand Caravan 194xxx+ miles, 3.3L mill, and the engine runs very quietly. No noises like that.

I don't do much of my own work on cars anymore, used to years ago, but I would take that into my fave auto shop to have them take a look and a listen. Sounds to me like something is rattling around while the engine is running. May be internal to the engine, OR something else. Hopefully nothing too expensive.

John Kuthe...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Timing chain rattle. Very common on the 3.3/3.6 liter engine, usually develops around 100,000 miles. The second video you posted, I remember that guy posting it on this forum, then followed up with two repair videos. I'll find the thread for you. But, I'll sum it up, he waited five years to repair it, and when he was finished, he said if he had to do it over, he wouldn't have bothered. If that's what it is, and it sure sounds like it to me, it's just an annoyance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Timing chain rattle. Very common on the 3.3/3.6 liter engine, usually develops around 100,000 miles. The second video you posted, I remember that guy posting it on this forum, then followed up with two repair videos. I'll find the thread for you. But, I'll sum it up, he waited five years to repair it, and when he was finished, he said if he had to do it over, he wouldn't have bothered. If that's what it is, and it sure sounds like it to me, it's just an annoyance.
I don't know if Baby II's timing chain has ever been replaced but she runs very quietly. Replacing her timing chain is on my short list of repairs I'd like to have done. 2006 3.3L Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can't for the life of me find the thread where that second video was originally posted. But I did manage to find the same guy's repair video, which appears later on in the same thread.

Here's part 1
https://youtu.be/e6dw3YoaQA8

Part 2
https://youtu.be/GV5UmC2EFsQ

You can hear it at the end of part 2 the noise is eliminated.

He went five years with the noise before he decided to do the job.

You can find other threads on here with people with the same complaint. Mine started making the noise two years ago. The van still runs like a champ, despite the noise.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know if Baby II's timing chain has ever been replaced but she runs very quietly. Replacing her timing chain is on my short list of repairs I'd like to have done. 2006 3.3L Grand Caravan.
I wouldn't worry about it. The chain should last the life of the engine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The chain should last the life of the engine.
Certain work can significantly extend the life of the engine like replacing the timing chain. Chains stretch like bicycle chains. A slightly stretched timing chain can introduce combustion errors and can cause catastrophic engine failure.

I'll stick with getting Baby II's replaced soon! 2006 Grand Caravan 3.3L. 194xxx miles.

John Kuthe...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like the alternator decoupler pulley to me. Thats just what mine sounded like until I replaced it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
All good replies. The rattling sound like the timing chain. If that's the case, having it sound like that at only 81K would draw a red flag to me. The ticking sounds like the lifters. Do you know if the original owner changed the oil on time? If they didn't, you might have premature engine ware because of it. On a side note, I changed out the timing chain because of a small rattle at 171K. I verified it was the chain by removing the oil pain. (You can see the chain and test it for slack) Parts only cost $60. Took about 16 hrs of work.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is mine, taken about a year and twenty thousand miles ago, immediately after fixing the alternator pulley. It's had more work done since. Valve cover gaskets, oil pan was removed, crankshaft bearings inspected and looked good, gasket replaced. Plugs and wires replaced. The noise is still there, van runs like new. Oil has been changed every 3,000 miles as far as I know, the only gap I have in the service records are from 100,000 miles when the dealer stopped reporting regular service to 109,000 when I bought the van.

https://youtu.be/-OMV0RlvFDk

According to this write up, Chrysler claims some timing chain noise is normal.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/engine_noise_minivan.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the many replies!

It seems that there are some differing opinions on how severe the problem behind the noise is, but most likely it is the chain. I watched the couple videos posted here and the engine noise on both videos sounds exactly the same as mine, which is hopefully "good news" as it seems to be a common issue. Of course it would be best to fix it and get rid of the noise, but at my current situation, I will have to bear the risk.

My plan is to keep listening to the noise, if it gets any worse then take a closer look.

Is there any tips to improve the engine performance by choosing the right oil or maybe flushing the engine? What is the best oil to be used in these 3.3L engines?

-Daniel

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thanks for the many replies!

It seems that there are some differing opinions on how severe the problem behind the noise is, but most likely it is the chain. I watched the couple videos posted here and the engine noise on both videos sounds exactly the same as mine, which is hopefully "good news" as it seems to be a common issue. Of course it would be best to fix it and get rid of the noise, but at my current situation, I will have to bear the risk.

My plan is to keep listening to the noise, if it gets any worse then take a closer look.

Is there any tips to improve the engine performance by choosing the right oil or maybe flushing the engine? What is the best oil to be used in these 3.3L engines?

-Daniel
You will get all kids of opinions as to the type of oil and brand to use. I switched our van to Pennzoil Fully Synthetic 5W30 at 177K. (We have 188K now) I love this oil. The engine is quieter, runs smoother and winter start ups are less wear on the engine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree with the Pennzoil synthetic 5w30. I'd go with the high mileage brand with your miles. Also, don't scrimp on the oil filter. Only use a good quality filter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When you had the oil pan off, did you happen to change the o-ring on the oil pickup tube where it is inserted into the motor? Replacing this o-ring corrected something like 98% of the similar noises my '05 T&C 3.8 liter was making. I say 98% because most of the time now it's quiet and only once in a while do I get a very slight knock/rattle from down low on the timing chain side of the motor. Assuming this is timing chain related as the van now has over 185000 miles on it with the original chain. Upper engine lifter tap type noises are all completely gone and have not recurred since replacing this o-ring.

First time I clicked on your link (maybe clicked on the wrong link?) it took me to a different video than it did the second time I clicked on it. First time it took me to a noise demo that had a solution video posted in the comments... Next time I clicked on it it took me to what I think you intended which is a video showing the noise, but no comments yet.

Anyway, the first video had similar sounds and blamed it on the timing chain. The solution video specifically said that they felt it was all definitely caused by the timing chain, but the funny thing is they show the removal of the oil pick up tube during the tear-down and never show it being put back on. If I were a betting man, I'd bet they also replaced the pickup tube o-ring during the re-install. Not to say that replacing the timing chain didn't help with the noise, but it looked like a lot of work and I gotta wonder how well just replacing the o-ring would have done without tackling the timing chain.

Anyway, with mileage as low as yours and the age of these vans being what they are, I'd try replacing the oil pick-up tube o-ring first before tackling the chain replacement. In my personal experience, most rubber items attached directly to the engine were cooked to a nice hard plastic after about 7 or 8 years... and this included the oil pick-up tube o-ring seal which was hard and flattened on it's sealing surfaces, sliding around easily on the pick-up tube and allowing air to be pulled into the oil pump. With the new o-ring installed, air is no longer sucked in and the problem is pretty much gone. If you look around, you will see that many of the oil pan gaskets kits also include this o-ring... and I highly recommend replacing this o-ring whenever doing an oil pan gasket replacement. Just some cheap insurance...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts