The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well sometimes I make a fast decision.
My 2010 T&C had developed a very small exhaust gasket leak. They only get worse. How did I fix it? Simple, I drove to my Chrysler dealer for help.
I walked in and pointed to the red 2020 Dodge Journey SE and said, "I'll take that one". They gave me a fair trade price. I am a Chrysler retiree, so I get employee pricing, plus no dealer "markup fees". The $4250 rebate/consumer cash they had this month was too hard to turn down. This car suits me better and my wife can help me drive this on trips. It still has seven seats, so we can haul everyone when we go see the grandkids in TX. The grandkids wouldn't watch the movies on the twin screen dvd player in the T&C = that is old school! - kids have their own devices nowadays.
I am very happy to have a backup camera that actually shows what is behind me- and real hands free bluetooth calling, which was not on my 2010. And my SirusXM, too. So now, I am an SUV crossover sorta guy. And the Journey has come to the end of the road, because FCA was too tight to upgrade the design. Or, maybe they think they can force budget buyers to buy a minivan in order to get seven seats.

Reactions: BJ(615) and LEVY

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,009 Posts
It's almost a Caravan. :p

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When I mentioned to the wife that maybe I needed to trade in the T&C on a new car rather than fix it, she was happy- she was tired of seeing me work on high mileage 10-15 year old cars. At least a monthly payment won't be a surprise like a mechanical breakdown is.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,009 Posts
And with that powertrain having 9 years of ironing out, I wouldn't expect any of those for quite a while.

Reactions: BJ(615)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And with that powertrain having 9 years of ironing out, I wouldn't expect any of those for quite a while.
Quite True.
FCA was still selling a lot of Journeys and had they updated to a modern Apple Carplay/ android auto head unit, sales would have gone back up. A new 2.0 turbo 4cyl engine (over 250hp) it due to launch next fall and the nine speed transmission is made down the road in Kokomo, Indiana.
I am cautiously hopeful that the new company will keep the Dodge Journey nameplate alive.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE) 3.3l Blaze Red Crystal Pearl 219,990mi
40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, the access to work on the 2.4L is great- top to bottom, power steering, alternator, A/C compressor .
A spark plug swap looks like a 30 minute job.- done every 30,000 miles. The 17" rims allowed the Journey to have larger rotors and it's 600 lbs lighter than the Chrysler minivans.

Comment to me from a fellow Chrysler retiree, about their Journey they traded in on a new 2020 model-
The old Journey had 175K on it. The only thing we had done was a Alt at 150K and a thermostat at 130K, brakes at 100K and 170K.

-

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,009 Posts
Oh... you got the 2.4... :cry: Remember the PT Cruiser? Updated version of that engine. Thankfully it's a bit more reliable now. As a retiree, I don't think you'll be popping the head gasket like many of those I've seen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have driven a PT Cruiser-- it is slower than this Journey- which has a newer 2.4L 173 hp design 2.4L with VVT, and over 20 more HP than the PT motor. I still notice lots of PT Cruisers on the road down here in FL. They were built to SUV standards. The Journey has tap shifting, so if you want to shift at 5500 rpm where the max HP and torque merge, you can do it, for a boost in performance, but at 50 mph it does start to slow down. I doubt that most drivers are even aware of that tap-shift feature. Leaving the transmission in 3rd-1.0, makes a big difference if you are sure you will need to adjust speeds a lot- 3rd gear, 3000 rpm has a lot more power than 2100 rpm in 4th gear- OD
I owned a Honda Element with a 150 hp 2.4L engine and it was geared lower than the Journey. It was pretty peppy for a 4cyl, but anything over 70 in OD, was high rpm, almost like 3rd gear in the Journey- as they always say- Honda's love high RPM.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a 2013 2.4 l journey. My wife and I like it, easy to work on. No major problems at 150,000 kms.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hankster, I'm glad to hear you have had so many trouble free miles. The copper color was good looking.
I have to laugh when people complain that a 4cyl car is SLOW. Nothing is as slow as my 1st Chrysler- a 5000 lb 1947 Windsor club coupe with a flat head six, or my 1968 VW micro bus. You could get up to 35 mpg if you drove a VW Beetle slow and that's what frugal drivers did back in the day.
-

·
Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
396 Posts
Well sometimes I make a fast decision.
My 2010 T&C had developed a very small exhaust gasket leak. They only get worse. How did I fix it? Simple, I drove to my Chrysler dealer for help.
I walked in and pointed to the red 2020 Dodge Journey SE and said, "I'll take that one". They gave me a fair trade price. I am a Chrysler retiree, so I get employee pricing, plus no dealer "markup fees". The $4250 rebate/consumer cash they had this month was too hard to turn down. This car suits me better and my wife can help me drive this on trips. It still has seven seats, so we can haul everyone when we go see the grandkids in TX. The grandkids wouldn't watch the movies on the twin screen dvd player in the T&C = that is old school! - kids have their own devices nowadays.
I am very happy to have a backup camera that actually shows what is behind me- and real hands free bluetooth calling, which was not on my 2010. And my SirusXM, too. So now, I am an SUV crossover sorta guy. And the Journey has come to the end of the road, because FCA was too tight to upgrade the design. Or, maybe they think they can force budget buyers to buy a minivan in order to get seven seats.

Congrats on the new wheels! Nice choice, the Journey is the most practical and best looking suv, in my opinion. I'd have considered buying one if it had a sliding door for loading larger objects. I expect the journey will get decent MPG's too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts