The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought my van last week, White 2009 Touring w/ 3.8L, and I'm brand new to the group . . . my question is regarding the shocks on this thing. I know that you had to get the towing prep package to get the "load leveling shocks" (I did not, nearly impossible to find on a used log) but for the life of me I can't figure out WHAT those shocks were! I can see that I can get Nivomats for models until 2007, but nothing after that . . . any ideas? I'm trying to retrofit Moby Dick to be a little more tow-friendly, and have 2 different dealerships quoting me two WILDLY different prices, and I don't like to buy anything unless I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. So does anyone out there know exactly what shocks came with the factory towing package? Any info would be hugely appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I'll just ask, what is the tongue weight of the trailer you plan on towing, and how much cargo will also be inside the trunk when doing so? If it is a light trailer, you may not need to do a thing.

As for locating the shocks, a dealer guy (like jgbat or just call your dealer) should be able to find exactly what you need. Or someone with a FSM.

·
fix it if you can
5,422 Posts
there are clearly different shocks for 5th gen rear susp.. you can look up in any OEM part catalog (ex. http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/)
there may not be an 'aftermarket' part listed for these due to the fact that these vans are still relatively new (08 is just running out of factory 3/36 warranty)... they should start showing up soon though..

you should get in touch with a friendly local dealer parts dept. and get the part #'s & description for shocks and perhaps brackets (or other required hardware) from them.. (then you can decide weather to buy from them or shop around...)

BTW, if you search out an 08-10 RT parts catalog it will list all the parts #'s and components...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the rear nivomat shocks are mfg'd by SACHS. They are extremely pricey at well over $250 each (close to $300), yes that is each shock. That may be where your pricing differs. I know in the VW Routans they were standard with the 4.0L engine (SEL's), the 3.8L did not get them(S & SE's). For me VW marks up your price and they are about $390 each, but I'll go to my local DGC or T&C dealer to get them if I ever need them. You may want to try a local wrecking yard. Your shocks are like "pencil" shocks (1-1/2" diameter), the nivomats are roughly 2-1/2" diameter at the top of the shock. Go to a dealer and check out a loaded model 2011 T&C and compare the shocks, you may even find a part# on them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you don't load too much, I would suggest these
Monroe load-adjust, they give you an additional 1200 lbs of load carrying capacity. They cost about $100 for the pair and I have them on our 2008 and not only they handle the all the load that we throw on it but they also got rid of that annoying "float" in the rear of the van.

Alex...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Been wondering if it would fix that floaty rear end .
Thanks Amelnik for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts