The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a key fob online and planned to program it using my existing key fob, which works just fine. The procedure to program the new key fob (please correct me if I'm wrong) is as follows:

1. Enter ignition key and turn to ON position (e.g. so that radio and dashboard lights turn on).

2. Press UNLOCK button on existing key fob for 10 seconds.

3. While UNLOCK button is still pressed, press PANIC button for 1 second.

4. Release UNLOCK and PANIC buttons simultaneously. You should hear the Town & Country chime to indicate that it entered programming mode.

5. Within 30 seconds, press buttons on new key fob. Each time you press a button the chime should sound indicating that the button has been programmed and is now working.

6. Turn ignition key off. Van should chime again indicating it is no longer in programming mode.

7. Test new key fob to ensure that all buttons are working properly.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get my van into programming mode at step 4. The chime never sounds, and the new key fob cannot be programmed.

I tried a variation whereupon I pressed the UNLOCK button for 5 seconds instead of 10 seconds before pushing the PANIC button. However, this variation also did not work.

Any suggestions on how to proceed, or ideas about what I'm doing wrong? I would appreciate any input you may have on how you got your vehicle to enter programming mode.

Thanks!

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
458 Posts
Here is the Procedure from the 1998 Chrysler FSM

Credit: 1998 Chrysler Voyager Service Manual Sec: 8P-6 Pg. 514

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW, these instructions above are for a different fob. I have a 2000, like the original poster.
But just now, I was able to do it easily!

Here's what I did differently from the typical instructions:
1. I stopped using my duplicate key and used one of the original Chrysler keys.
2. I had the headlights on this time. Could be meaningless.
3. I had just driven the car and switched the engine off, then turned the key back to On.
4. I only held the unlock button for about 3-4 seconds before pressing the Panic button fairly quickly and releasing both. I was holding everything much longer the first time.

This worked great just like it's supposed to. I think the original key may have been the, um, key to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts