The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our '09 T&C a year ago and were surprised how foggy the windshield gets in cold weather. We forgot about it this spring/summer, but now are reminded as the temps are starting to get low again. Running the defrost 100% of the time only works enough to keep the area immediately in front of the driver and passenger seats clear while there's still noticeable fog around the perimeter restricting some viewing angles. I've seen some anti-fog sprays for sale but they have mixed reviews. Does anyone have any recommended treatment for the windshield to keep the fog at bay?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,063 Posts
Keep AC on and recirculation off at all times, that should do it.

Defrost mode should trigger the AC compressor to turn on, but for better performance, also keep AC on and adjust temperature as needed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
+1, AC on, recirc off.

I've had zero problems with interior fogging in my '09 - running defrost as described clears off any humidity quickly

One thing I've read of but not had the chance to try yet, to keep condensation off the interior windows overnight - take a dry bar of soap and rub it on the windows at selected spots, then buff with a dry, soft cloth. No idea if this works or not and haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon as I am parking outside now.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
With the defrost mode on, or in combo like defrost/floor (my preference for three seasons mostly), the hvac system will automatically demist (ac comes on) at times depending on what it's sensing. That will not happen during recirculation mode where all you are doing is recirculation moist air, not reducing the moisture content.

Getting in your vehicle with moist clothing, or snow on your clothing, will create a lot of moisture for the system to handle. In my Jeep for example, with no ac, I can have moisture dripping off the fiberglass hardtop when I drive with wet/snow covered clothes. Wet floor mats, sweaty clothes from the gym, or leaks to the interior will have the same effect, especially for short trips.

There are defogging treatments available but I have no experience with them.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say for sure if the recirculate is on or not. I never use it, but this is my wife's car so I'll check next time it starts to fog.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,063 Posts
With the defrost mode on, or in combo like defrost/floor (my preference for three seasons mostly), the hvac system will automatically demist (ac comes on) at times depending on what it's sensing. That will not happen during recirculation mode where all you are doing is recirculation moist air, not reducing the moisture content.

Getting in your vehicle with moist clothing, or snow on your clothing, will create a lot of moisture for the system to handle. In my Jeep for example, with no ac, I can have moisture dripping off the fiberglass hardtop when I drive with wet/snow covered clothes. Wet floor mats, sweaty clothes from the gym, or leaks to the interior will have the same effect, especially for short trips.
  • As long as AC compressor is on and air is passing through the evaporator, AC system will dehumidify the air, but being on recirculation mode will make it harder. Humidity brought in as water, snow and transpiration will be harder to remove as not fresh air is coming in to help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We bought our '09 T&C a year ago and were surprised how foggy the windshield gets in cold weather. We forgot about it this spring/summer, but now are reminded as the temps are starting to get low again. Running the defrost 100% of the time only works enough to keep the area immediately in front of the driver and passenger seats clear while there's still noticeable fog around the perimeter restricting some viewing angles. I've seen some anti-fog sprays for sale but they have mixed reviews. Does anyone have any recommended treatment for the windshield to keep the fog at bay?
The windshield must be very clean. When was it last cleaned?

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
  • As long as AC compressor is on and air is passing through the evaporator, AC system will dehumidify the air, but being on recirculation mode will make it harder. Humidity brought in as water, snow and transpiration will be harder to remove as not fresh air is coming in to help.

From 2016 DGC Owner Manual:
9. Recirculation Control Button
Push this button to choose between outside air intake or recirculation of the air inside the vehicle. An indicator light will illuminate when you are in Recirculation mode. Only use the Recirculation mode to temporarily block out any outside odors, smoke, or dust, and to cool the interior rapidly upon initial start-up in very hot or humid weather. NOTE:
• If the Recirculation button is pushed when the system is in Defrost mode the Recirculation LED indicator will flash three times to indicate Recirculation mode is not allowed.
• Continuous use of the Recirculation mode may make the inside air stuffy and window fogging may occur. Extended use of this mode is not recommended.
• In cold or damp weather, the use of the Recirculation mode will cause windows to fog on the inside because of moisture buildup inside the vehicle. For maximum defogging, select the outside air position.
• In order to prevent fogging, when the Recirculation button is pushed and the mode control is set to Panel, the A/C will engage automatically.
• The A/C can be deselected manually without disturbing the mode control selection.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,063 Posts
From 2016 DGC Owner Manual:
When in recirculation mode, if AC compressor is running, air still will be dehumidified, it might not be directed to the windshield, but still be dehumidified. AC evaporator will still collect humidity, no way to stop it from doing it's job.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find fog an issue too. I have the same van. I use a large dessicant bag & replace every 2 months. They're $8 at Home Depot. They're just really big silica bags. Also cracking a rear side window makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you smell antifreeze when the heater/defroster is on?
That would have been my question. It could be a leaking heater core. That's a problem that can occur on any vehicle and will only get worse until it's replaced. Stop leak will sometimes cure the problem temporarily but is not recommended; it may cause more problems than it solves. Might want to feel carpet under the heater 15-60 minutes after turning the van off to see if if feels damp.

·
Registered
1993 PGV LE 3.3 Cargo
87 Posts
My vote is for RainX. The thing is - and this is a problem for most people that get it wrong - the windshield HAS TO BE SPOTLESS. No wax, no smoke film, nothing can be on the glass before you start applying it. Strip it bare, then apply and buff like crazy. Do both sides of the glass. You WILL notice a difference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I find fog an issue too. I have the same van. I use a large dessicant bag & replace every 2 months. They're $8 at Home Depot. They're just really big silica bags.
I don't know about the particular bags you use, but I've read that many dessicant bags can be "refreshed" by a stint in the oven. You'll have to search for particulars on time and temperature, but you are basically baking out any excess moisture it has absorbed.

Could probably get the same effect by leaving them out on a sunny porch during the dry summer months, then storing them in Ziploc bags until needed.

Yeah, its only $50 a year, but I'm naturally thrifty :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Are you sure your AC is working? If not, the defog will do nearly nothing. My 1st car had that issue.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,063 Posts
I use a large dessicant bag & replace every 2 months. They're just really big silica bags.
A dessicant bag will not help in an open environment as a car. Best option would be a couple of diapers on the dash. :oops:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I've used the RV tub size DampRid in my car with success when I was dealing with leaky door seals. It had a noticeable effect on moisture condensed on the inside of the windows in the mornings and the carpet dampness. It's probably not fast acting enough to help while driving and pulling in air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts