The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator went bad and I am over the 36k mile warrantee. I am having trouble removing it.
I can not remove the electrical clip. Any tips?
Do I need to remove the AC in order to get the alt out?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Welcome to the site.
What year van and what engine are you working on?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2012 3.6l.

Well I got it - a PITA.

The electrical connector is removed by sliding the red clip backwards (away from the alt). I used a small screw driver inserted from the rear and was then able to slide the red clip. Then you can depress the tab and slide the connector off.

To remove the alt, you must first remove the AC compressor. The compressor is held by two lower bolts, and two upper studs. After removing the stud nuts, you need to remove the studs in order to swing the compressor out of the way. You need a torx socket to remove the stud. I did not have the tool so I used vice grip (PITA).

As is usually the case, if I had the right tool and knowledge it would have been easy. But I didn't, so it SUCKED!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Glad you got it out.
PS: Many times you can use a small socket out of a 1/4 drive set to remove these torx headed bolts. Not the most ideal tool for the job but better than vise grips.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my alternator rebuilt by a local rebuilder for $130. I bought an external-torx socket for the studs and installation was smooth.
I also purchased the repair manual CD (~$160) - looks like I'll be needing it frequently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is the reason of alternator being rebuilt

What is the reason did your alternator need rebuilding? Since your minivan is relative new, the alternator could be last over 100K miles usually.

I had my alternator rebuilt by a local rebuilder for $130. I bought an external-torx socket for the studs and installation was smooth.
I also purchased the repair manual CD (~$160) - looks like I'll be needing it frequently.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
My 2nd gen alt made it 278k. :Wow1:

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
These days I would agree.
I have seen very good life out of the Chrysler units since the 80's. This is when they switched from their old Chrysler units to using Bosch and Nippondenso.
In the late 80's early 90's GM alt's had a very short life span. :jpshakehe

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the reason did your alternator need rebuilding? Since your minivan is relative new, the alternator could be last over 100K miles usually.
I don't know exactly why it failed after only 41k miles since the rebuilder was not there when I picked it up. He had told the desk clerk that he was surprised as to how bad the rotor was.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't have aftermarket hid's do ya?
No.

I now have the shop manual so I looked to see how Chrysler wants you to remove the alternator.

Remove air box
Remove belt
Partially drain coolant and remove upper rad hose
Disconnect electrical connectors from fan assembly
Press in retaining clips and lift fan out

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why dose the fan removal have to do with alternator removal?

Is "fan" radiator fan or alternator build-in cooling fan?

No.

I now have the shop manual so I looked to see how Chrysler wants you to remove the alternator.

Remove air box
Remove belt
Partially drain coolant and remove upper rad hose
Disconnect electrical connectors from fan assembly
Press in retaining clips and lift fan out

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Removing the radiator fan assembly gives you enough room to get the alt off the engine and out of the engine bay without having to unbolt the AC compressor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I may need to change my alternator after 41k miles.

When replacing yours, did you go through the top of the engine bay or the bottom? It looks like there's not enough clearance for the alternator to come out and even less space to actually fit tools down there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2013 G.C. just turned 41k miles. and the alternator went out of it. I cannot find a new one other than a dealer and a rebuilt one is $250.00 any tricks/tips to removing it?

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Rock Auto has 3 remans ranging from $146 to $250.
O'Reilly's has 2 remans $201 to $246.

Advance Auto which is my go to place for parts (can't beat those promo codes) does not list one anymore, they used to? :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also noticed Advanced having a part number for the alternator but shows unavailable when I tried to order it. I got one from Autozone for $250 and replaced it last night. I had to remove the access panel from under the van to get to the tensioner pully and had to remove the electric fan and radiator overflow bottle to get it out. wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I am not returning my old one for the $20 core return. I will just have it rebuilt for next time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is wrong with your 41K miles alternator? Pulley issue or internal parts defective?

My 2013 G.C. just turned 41k miles. and the alternator went out of it. I cannot find a new one other than a dealer and a rebuilt one is $250.00 any tricks/tips to removing it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is wrong with your 41K miles alternator? Pulley issue or internal parts defective?

What a coincidence with crantma's one, all at 41K-mile mark.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I may need to change my alternator after 41k miles.

When replacing yours, did you go through the top of the engine bay or the bottom? It looks like there's not enough clearance for the alternator to come out and even less space to actually fit tools down there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts