The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had this engine misfire in cylinder 4, in short, I want to replace the spark plugs on all 6 cylinders. Can anybody help on how to remove the cover? I tried to remove some other bolts but I dont know where the other bolts are holding the cover. Thanks.

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, 3.6L V6 VVT Flex Fuel

·
Registered
69 Posts
How many miles on your vehicle? Your van is still under warranty. The plugs should be good for at least 100,000 miles. You might need to take it to the dealership to make sure you don't have a problem where the engine needs a new head. Less than one per cent of the Pentastar 3.6 engines are affected. Your powertrain warranty is good for 5 years / 100,000. You might need to call chrysler customer service, the plugs should not fail if your vehicle is under 100,000 miles.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
We had this engine misfire in cylinder 4, in short, I want to replace the spark plugs on all 6 cylinders. Can anybody help on how to remove the cover? I tried to remove some other bolts but I dont know where the other bolts are holding the cover. Thanks.

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, 3.6L V6 VVT Flex Fuel
I'm thinking you are having a known issue with one of your cylinder heads; if I'm correct (and I'll lay odds I am), then changing the spark plugs won't help. Take your car to your dealership and have them diagnose the issue; chances are pretty good they'll order you a new cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I agree that it needs to get taken into your dealer.
To answer your question as far as the engine cover, it lifts up. It has 4 interference fit pegs that attach it to the engine.
To change the plugs, you have to take the upper part of the intake off the engine (or at least move it out of the way). (IE unbolt and flip up)

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I don't believe it is a spark plug unless you have 130,000 mi on it. I don't advise you to remove the intake and swap the plugs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. We had about 39k on our van. We acquired the van as pre-owned at about 28K last June of 2012. We brought this van to the dealership where we purchased it and let them diagnosed the MIL, and they said that its misfiring due to moisture on one of the spark plugs. I let them clear the code (P0304) and after a week it showed up again on our own analyser so I also cleared the code twice already.

Before that, I had an appointment from them to repair the passenger sliding door that is not locking & and unlocking remotely (labor and materials still free of charge). When I was on my way to them (dealership), the MIL appeared so I asked them if they can take a look for that light. So that's when I knew it was a misfire on one of the cylinder. They told me that I can bring it back if the light will come on again and told me that they will replace the spark plugs.

I asked this because we're a little bit far from the dealership, so I might do it myself, anyway its only a spark plug. But when I started to pull out some 8mm bolts, I cannot move or shake the cover still and I don't know where are the other bolts that are holding on. If cannot do it tomorrow, I might call for an appointment on Monday.

I'm also thinking that spark plugs are part of the electrical, not powertrain, so it is already out of warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Grant. I saw that 4 pegs that you're saying and it is somewhat like a stud bolt that has a nut on it. Two on the front and two on the back right hand side. I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
It is not the spark plugs. It is a bad head.
It is powertrain.
Your dealer is not being truthful.
If you have the dealer change the plugs, insist they do a leak down on that cylinder.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
I'm also thinking that spark plugs are part of the electrical, not powertrain, so it is already out of warranty.
I cannot recommend strongly enough for you to get your van to the dealership and demand they test the head; what you're describing is a known issue, an issue which caused Chrysler to effect a design change to the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again buddy for that info. I might try to replace those plugs and we'll see if I can still feel the misfire. If the light will reappear within a week. I will take your advice seriously. I just wanted to know what other bolts are holding on. If I can pull up the cover, I know its very easy to replace the spark plugs. I have already the exact part number of the particular iridium spark plugs.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
Thanks again buddy for that info. I might try to replace those plugs and we'll see if I can still feel the misfire. If the light will reappear within a week. I will take your advice seriously. I just wanted to know what other bolts are holding on. If I can pull up the cover, I know its very easy to replace the spark plugs. I have already the exact part number of the particular iridium spark plugs.
Help us out here, why are you so fixated on the spark plugs? THEY ARE NOT THE ISSUE! Take your van in to have the head tested and ultimately replaced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope this will not void the warranty, if there's any.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
I hope this will not void the warranty, if there's any.
If you replace the plugs on your own you may well give the dealership cause to charge you for some of the work. Take it in and have the head tested; this is my last post in this thread. Arrrrgh!

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
There is no way that moisture is getting on your plugs. You are wasting your time and money by replacing them. It is your head. It is a known issue. Please listen to us and insist that the dealer check the head for damage. You are opening yourself to liability.
The maintenance schedule on them is for 96,000 mi.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You need to reread all the posts. People are telling you to take it to the dealership for a reason. The dealership may blame you for the engine problem if you work on it, and may even deny any warranty claim. Few Pentastar 3.6 engines have faulty cylinder heads, and you may own one of them. Don't give Chrysler a reason to deny a warranty claim. The dealership will loan you a car until they fix your vehicle if you have a faulty cylinder head. Again don't work on the engine, take it to the dealership or call Chrysler customer service.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you all buddies. Anyway we still have our 2001 T/C 3.8L Ex at 200K and still running great. I will bring it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update: I brought the van to the mother dealer and you all guys are perfectly right after all. They did the leak down test on that particular cylinder 4 and the result was only 45% working. They ordered the part (cylinder head) and I have a scheduled repair this coming wednesday.

But before that, I did replaced the spark plugs and after 3 days of short distance driving, the MIL came on again. I showed them to the dealer and they were too convinced that it was not the spark plug after all as what the first dealer told me.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I am glad you found a dealer that wasn't crooked and that they took care of it for you.
Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally I got my van back after 4 days of repair. I have no complaints on the way they treated me. But the next day when I opened up the hood, I've noticed that some of the parts whatever were not in its proper place like my dipstick tube is bent that touches the plastic engine cover, the nut that holds the heater tube to the stud bolt was missing, the insulation between the front head cover and the air intake is also gone and some minor clips that are not inserted. With this minor problem of not putting back some of them in its proper place, I'm hoping that they did it perfectly on the cylinder that they had replaced. I thought at first that cylinder #4 is at the back (when youre facing the van) but as the results says that it seems on the front (radiator side)

When I drove the van home it seems ot me that it is ok now and that there is no more ticking sound and my air filter is somewhat dry now. At first they indicated that the oil in the air filter was due to overfill of the engine oil, but i dont believed them and i told them that it was maybe an excessive blow-by of the 5 (or 2 on the defective side which the hose is feeding through) remaining cylinders that the buffer cannot hold on to it aymore. They just shrugged their shoulders. But anyway they are very accommodating to me and I appreciate it very much. The first dealer that diagnosed my van let me borrowed a car for free and I also thanked them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
boy rob i dont think i would have left dealership with van in that condition...considering how involved that job is, i always worry about the competency of the tech that performs the work....and if that particular dealer has experience with cylinder head removal on the pentastar.....motor should be in exact factory condition....good luck

1 - 20 of 56 Posts