The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a fairly nice 2012 Dodge GC. I'm not familiar with the 3.6L V6. I know it's very high tech compared to the 3.3L in my current '06 minivan. I'm a real fan of the 3.3L because it's long lived and durable.

How does the 3.6L compare when it comes to durability?
Is the water pump buried way down inside the engine?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,614 Posts
They recently built the 10 millionth Pentastar engine. There's a few of them around.

·
Registered
913 Posts
They had some head problems back in that era so it may be a crap shoot. Problem was fixed as of model year 2014 . I would stay 14 or later if buying used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2012 Town and Country from a friend. 204199 on it and still running strong. Like the improved gas mileage and 6 speed transmission on mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As vipergg stated there were some bad heads made during 2012 and 2013 model year. The valve seat comes loose and falls out of the head, holding the valve open, causing a misfire. Chrysler released Service Bulletin #09-002-14 to warranty those heads and extended the head warranty. The warranty extension coverage period is 10 years / 150,000 miles (240,000KMS) (whichever occurs first) from the vehicles In-Service Date. Take the VIN number to a dealer and have them lookup if the van has the head replaced.

The other issues that I know of:
Oil cooler/filter adapter leak
Roller rocker arm bearing failure - the dreaded Pentastar "tick." if you catch it early enough, it is not too expensive or difficult to repair. But if let go too long, rocker arm eats the cam lobe.

There are people having issues at different mileages. And there are people getting 200K - 300K out of the pentastar. I have my 3rd chrysler product with the pentastar. I have run (2) of them to about 70K before trading them in, without any service issues. Only change oil and filter(s). I am a big fan of the motor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had a 3.6 in two vehicles - a 2012 300s, and a 2014 DGC. Was a great engine in the 300 (drove for 2 years @ about 70,000km per year), and is a great engine in the minivan. As have many other people, I've had the oil filter adapter leak, and replaced the tranny cooler lines, but other than that it's been rock solid. Working my way to 170,000 km now, and I don't plan on selling any time soon. I have no problem recommending the 3.6 as a long-lasting engine. Also doesn't hurt that it performs very well, and has a lot of power for these big vans while still giving decent fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
They hold up well even in the 1500 pickups which often live a harder life. The prevailing thought on the ram forum is that the Pentastar is more reliable than the Hemi.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,226 Posts
I'm looking at a fairly nice 2012 Dodge GC. I'm not familiar with the 3.6L V6. I know it's very high tech compared to the 3.3L in my current '06 minivan. I'm a real fan of the 3.3L because it's long lived and durable.

Thanks!
If you like it, buy it.

Don't worry about head problems, this vehicle is already 8 years old (or more). If head problem didn't showed up yet, it will not happen. Not all 2012 had that problem, mine didn't.

Again, if you like it, and price is right, don't ask, just buy it. Of course, use common sense, check for accidents etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I hope to inspect the van more closely today. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks!
Its the best v6 of the big5..I include honda and toyato

·
Registered
410 Posts
102k miles, 30+ drag races, 20+ tons hauled. Less than $1k in repairs and maintenance (not including repairs from a wreck with a deer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts