The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed that when I have AC on it seems like the blend door sometimes cycles over to warm for a second then switches back to cold, once a min or so I think. I have automatic climate in this van.

Any ideas on what the deal is or where to start?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i would try observing the blend doors under the dashboard for a minute or two to verify that it really is moving them

if you get your head really up under there near the gas pedal and look up you can see almost all of them and get a clear view of the blend door servo and track for the driver's side hot/cold mix

might hurt to lay there like that for a minute or two though :unsure:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can kinda hear the doors moving through the vents. I also took some vid of the controller being wonky:

It kept switching back and forth which also caused the doors to move towards heat briefly.

I got it to stop via bumping the temp up to 59 but it will probably start doing it again. I just got the van back from getting the AC Condenser replaced (it was doing this prior to that). Will have to observe it in next few days. Bit annoying as I'm about to drive west.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,338 Posts
Could the issue occur because the temp senders (one in the center front dash vent, the other in the rear) start out at a temperature that causes the door to adjust??

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i wonder if you can test those temperature sensors for accuracy with a multimeter or something, it's just a two wire lead running off them to the module

i'm not sure if they're any fancier than just a normal electric thermometer

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's interesting is that when I set the temp to 59 degrees which is the next step up from LO, it doesn't seem to do it anymore. I thought I had set driver to LO and left passenger at 59 and it didn't do it either, but need to verify.

I need to wait for some hot day as it's been 40s-50s and maybe that has something to do with it. I didn't have any problems running in LO last summer. Maybe it's too cold and it's flipping it out.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,338 Posts
when I set the temp to 59 degrees which is the next step up from LO, it doesn't seem to do it anymore
:rolleyes::whistle:

If your HVAC system is set to AUTO, it will cool down more aggressively when the interior is warm, without your intervention.

Setting the temp to LO rather than AUTO does not make it cool down quicker. But at least it allows you to select your own preference for air direction.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rolleyes::whistle:

If your HVAC system is set to AUTO, it will cool down more aggressively when the interior is warm, without your intervention.

Setting the temp to LO rather than AUTO does not make it cool down quicker. But at least it allows you to select your own preference for air direction.
Yeah but it shouldn't cycle over to a short blast of hot air every min and was not behavior it exhibited last year. The guys who replaced my AC Condenser early this week even pointed it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts