The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
If you aren't towing, or carrying heavy loads, top quality regular shocks should do.
Single leaf spring?
How about a couple of pictures?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Monroe 58620 Load Adjust shocks and they work great.
I see the Monroe 58620 on Amazon at about a quarter of the price of the nivomats, that's a price I can manage. The Nivomats just too expensive to easily afford them on my meagre pension.

So the big question, will a swap from the nivs to 58620s work...??

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
328 Posts
Apparently they are cross compatible.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Those are nivomats. Regular shocks will wear out prematurely, so you'll be replacing them more often. The shocks with the coilover spring on them, will rust out in a couple of years in the northern climate/road salt. Used nivomats would be better. Using a regular shock with the longer mounting bolts, you would have to make some spacers for the shock to get them tight. Regular car washes and fluid film might help keep your new shocks around longer.

Reactions: Rickkins99

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
I've never had standard shocks so I wouldn't know. My vans don't bottom out though. Then again, I always take the rear seat out and store it, and also move the spare tire inside. Less weight in the back.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Is the ride quality any better with Nivomats vs standard shock?
Nivomat are not shock absorbers.
Nivomat are a load leveling device installed on some vehicles along with other Nivomat suspension parts.

I just purchased two Monroe Nivomats on Amazon, they should arrive today. Monroe 40201 and I believe they are Monroe Licensed but really SACH / ZF built (Nivomat) with an additional Monroe sticker.

Accordingly, NIVOMAT replied to my request for inspection and testing with "If the vehicle is level, they are functioning"
I wrote back telling how I am experiencing a hard bottoming bump sensation when the vehicle is traversing mild smooth road 'swells' "How do I inspect or test if replacing the Nivomat will correct this" and they then replied with "Based on the mileage, you Nivomat may be at their end of design life". So again, non definitive and cryptic reply...

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
A rose by any other name...
They DO look like a shock absorber.
They DO smell like a shock absorber
and
They do act like a shock absorber... well, kinda.
You CAN NOT successfully install these on a non Nivomat suspension system and get the full self leveling benefit that they offer
and
You CAN NOT replace these on a Nivomat suspension system with regular, much much less expensive shock absorbers and get an acceptable ride and load carrying situation. much less expensive $35 each VS $500 each...
You can try, you can convince yourself and others that you made a WISE choice to try to do it that way...
let us know how it works out for you.

I'll let you know what I find out with these.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
BTW
I see the Monroe 58620 on Amazon at about a quarter of the price of the nivomats, that's a price I can manage. The Nivomats just too expensive to easily afford them on my meagre pension.

So the big question, will a swap from the nivs to 58620s work...??
If you hadn't been following my other Nivomat discussion, you mentioned Amazon and getting Monroe.

I found and purchased Monroe 40201's for $260 ish each and they are a Nivomat load adjuster made by ZF Sachs.
With Amazon CHASE bank credit card, buying two of these (and a few other items to evaluate) offered 18 months 0% financing OR 18 equal payments... It is still $550 but over 18 months payments it is a little easier to swallow. I'd hate to have an unsafe or undesirable condition that may eat tires, become unstable, or drag the rear bumper with passengers.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
"You CAN NOT successfully install these on a non Nivomat suspension system and get the full self leveling benefit that they offer."

I don't see why not. Other people have and they don't complain about it. It's not the softer spring that helps them to level, because my AWD has Nivomats and it has the spring packs that are stiffer - from the factory.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
"You CAN NOT successfully install these on a non Nivomat suspension system and get the full self leveling benefit that they offer."

I don't see why not. Other people have and they don't complain about it. It's not the softer spring that helps them to level, because my AWD has Nivomats and it has the spring packs that are stiffer - from the factory.
It is my understanding that the stiffer stock type suspension didn't let the tail bounce enough to facilitate the internal mechanism to achieve correct ride correction. I have to admit that you certainly have more knowledge and first hand experience with the suspension upgrades than I do. I saw pictures of your BadAss van with the big pickup tires and tall proud stance again just yesterday... You got it going on. I'd love to have test driver experience how it handles and drives.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts