The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what that little bolt is for between the transmission pan and the side pan that butt's up to the trans pan,a electrical plug goes into it higher up. Friend ran something over and hit pretty hard under the front end . Blew fluid out from that broken bolt or whatever it is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.2014 T&G six speed auto.

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
The drain plug is on the front of the pan for the 62TE, right where it can be hit.

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
My 2016 will have a drain plug this month. It's a popular modification.

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is it the plug for the line pressure gauge port? Nothing electrical about it, but the harness connector is above it in the side cover.

This would blow fluid out like crazy if it broke off.
Font Parallel Pattern Illustration Design

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Sounds like that's the bolt in question. A picture is worth a thousand words.

So, is that a good way to drain a fair portion of fluid out of the transmission to do some replenishing? :)

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
No point in draining the oil without a filter change, so it's a luxury, and source of leakage.
A filter change early, or at 100,000 miles, should be all that's needed. They are basically a screen. An inline filter (return cooler line) would be a big step up in filtration. Lifetime fluid never requires that the filter be changed somewhere along the way. Some transmissions have the filter buried deep in the transmission with no requirement to change. Only change required is the fluid.

As for leakage, no more so than the oil pan drain plug, which gets action much more frequently. A pan drop, every fluid replenishment, introduces a "big" increased chance for leakage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it the plug for the line pressure gauge port? Nothing electrical about it, but the harness connector is above it in the side cover.

This would blow fluid out like crazy if it broke off.
View attachment 68296
That's exactly it. Sorry about no picture.. What exactly is it's purpose? One more thing, can I replace it with just a bolt or no?

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's exactly it. Sorry about no picture.. What exactly is it's purpose? One more thing, can I replace it with just a bolt or no?
It’s a pressure test port to diagnose line pressure problems. A pressure gauge can be connected to it.

It’s a tapered pipe plug, so no, a bolt won’t work. The remains of the plug are going to need to be removed, and that might be a real challenge.

Older transmissions had a hex head plug. That means the plug has to be removed to remove the side cover. Later ones have a socket-head plug that takes an Allen wrench to remove. This eliminates the need to pull the plug to take off the cover. Probably be good to get this one when you’re ready for it.

I’m concerned about getting the old plug out. I’d advise you to have somebody do that who knows what they’re doing. It can go downhill fast it you break off a screw extractor in the plug.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It’s hard to tell — did it definitely break the head off of the plug? It’s surprising something would hit in just the right place to break the plug without damaging the side cover or even the transmission case.

As you can see in the partial chart I posted with the picture, that port will have well over 100 PSI fluid spraying out if that’s what’s leaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone tell me what that little bolt is for between the transmission pan and the side pan that butt's up to the trans pan,a electrical plug goes into it higher up. Friend ran something over and hit pretty hard under the front end . Blew fluid out from that broken bolt or whatever it is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.2014 T&G six speed auto.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s hard to tell — did it definitely break the head off of the plug? It’s surprising something would hit in just the right place to break the plug without damaging the side cover or even the transmission case.

As you can see in the partial chart I posted with the picture, that port will have well over 100 PSI fluid spraying out if that’s what’s leaking.
A neighbor told me that there's a cap on that bolt, but looking at the picture you sent that's impossible. I'll clean up better in the morning and have another look. The main pan has a 1/2 scratch right below that bolt,but the other pan is pushed out 1/4 inch on one side and is all wet. It feel like it's made of fabric. Does that make any sense to you?

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Does it attract a magnet? More of a flimsy dust/sound cover, I believe. There's another cover beyond the flimsy one, as mentioned by LPete. Could be some damage there, causing the source of the leak. Plug looks to be in place okay. Any cracks?

The inside cover:
Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 22 Posts