The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm 99% sure that all of it is flammable, luckily it's all protected behind the highly flammable ABS trim manufactured by Chrysler. The leather and vinyl are flammable, everything plastic is flammable, most of the fluids are flammable. I have a 65lb MDF enclosure for my 18" sub in the back that's flammable...
I do keep a 10lb ABC fire extinguisher in the trunk, my van has already caught fire once when a power steering line burst and sprayed onto the exhaust. I put it out before it caused any collateral damage, so I recommend to anyone to carry an ABC.
Edy, by law, there has to be a FMVSS 302 additive to all plastics for vehicles sold in North America. Sure, it burns, but at a rate of less than 25mm per min or 1-inch per min. There are other criteria too such as how the fumes are gassed out and such. This additive allows folks in the vehicles time to escape should a vehicle caught fire.

This also applies to fabrics, foams, trim and anything else in the interior. Even the HVAC pleated filters must be rated for this too. Some are even self-extinguishing.

Having non-FMVSS 302 materials all over the interior would allow the fire to be consuming very fast and hot. Getting to a fire extinguisher just after an accident may not be enough time.

I do like your ability to kill the outside sound and keep the cool or heat inside. Just the flammability worry's me some. I've seen 2 interstate vehicle fires in my life time. One set of folks got out, the others .... nope. They burned alive right before my eyes. Nobody could even get close enough to rescue them. sad sad sad.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party here but I added aftermarket heated seats to my 05 Grand Caravan. I bought a relatively cheap aftermarket kit just for the heater elements themselves then designed my own controllers and added temperature sensors to the heater elements.

By far the worst part of the process was removing and reattaching the seat covers. They are, as many of you have already discovered, glued on. Luckily the edges aren't glued down super hard so you can at least get started before you run into the glue. I managed to detach mine by rolling the cover away from the seat and using a small plastic scraper to basically tear through the glue at the underside of the seat cover. I only had 2 very small sections of foam start to tear and I was able to detach them from the seat covers and glue those pieces back in.

I then carved out a small channel in the foam for my temperature sensors (to place them in the center of the heater pads) and spray glued the heaters in place (3M high tack). After that dried I sprayed the whole seat and the inside of the covers, let it get tacky then set about the nerve-wracking process of installing the seat covers. It went almost 100% perfectly, just one place the seam didn't settle quite into channel in the foam but it's barely noticeable. It helps that I practiced the cover installation 5 or 6 times before doing it for real.

After that it took 2-3 weeks before the spray glue smell went away completely. Do this in the summer! That way you can have the windows down to get rid of the smell.

I tapped the power seat circuit under the driver's seat to power my controllers / heaters. With all 4 elements on full power the system draws about 12A which is well within the limit for this circuit. The seat motors seem to draw just a few amps (5-6A I believe) and the circuit was fused at (I think?) 30A so there's lots of overhead even if you adjust the seat with the heaters on.

I designed my controllers to set the temperature to 30*C on low and 42*C on high and I find that quite comfortable.

I think I posted a thread on here when I did it, I'm not sure how much of what I just posted was said there.

As for the flammability argument when insulating the van - sure, if you're adding a ton of material it is something to be aware of. I'd expect that most of the commercial sound deadeners and insulation should be fire retardant already but it's probably worth checking just to be safe. This thread has got me thinking, I've always meant to do a sound treatment on the van, spending 5-6 hours on the highway leaves my ears ringing for days and that can't be good.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
Oh mine is so quiet, but I did it more to keep the sound in than out. The doors have a solid thunk to them now. Rapping on the roof, doors, or quarter panels sounds like tapping on a brick wall rather than a beer can. I can only hear rain drops on the windshield now, it's inaudible on the roof. The wind and tires are just a whisper on the highway.
Highly recommended, but requires great time and expense.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party here but I added aftermarket heated seats to my 05 Grand Caravan. I bought a relatively cheap aftermarket kit just for the heater elements themselves then designed my own controllers and added temperature sensors to the heater elements.

By far the worst part of the process was removing and reattaching the seat covers. They are, as many of you have already discovered, glued on. Luckily the edges aren't glued down super hard so you can at least get started before you run into the glue. I managed to detach mine by rolling the cover away from the seat and using a small plastic scraper to basically tear through the glue at the underside of the seat cover. I only had 2 very small sections of foam start to tear and I was able to detach them from the seat covers and glue those pieces back in.

I then carved out a small channel in the foam for my temperature sensors (to place them in the center of the heater pads) and spray glued the heaters in place (3M high tack). After that dried I sprayed the whole seat and the inside of the covers, let it get tacky then set about the nerve-wracking process of installing the seat covers. It went almost 100% perfectly, just one place the seam didn't settle quite into channel in the foam but it's barely noticeable. It helps that I practiced the cover installation 5 or 6 times before doing it for real.

After that it took 2-3 weeks before the spray glue smell went away completely. Do this in the summer! That way you can have the windows down to get rid of the smell.

I tapped the power seat circuit under the driver's seat to power my controllers / heaters. With all 4 elements on full power the system draws about 12A which is well within the limit for this circuit. The seat motors seem to draw just a few amps (5-6A I believe) and the circuit was fused at (I think?) 30A so there's lots of overhead even if you adjust the seat with the heaters on.

I designed my controllers to set the temperature to 30*C on low and 42*C on high and I find that quite comfortable.

I think I posted a thread on here when I did it, I'm not sure how much of what I just posted was said there.

As for the flammability argument when insulating the van - sure, if you're adding a ton of material it is something to be aware of. I'd expect that most of the commercial sound deadeners and insulation should be fire retardant already but it's probably worth checking just to be safe. This thread has got me thinking, I've always meant to do a sound treatment on the van, spending 5-6 hours on the highway leaves my ears ringing for days and that can't be good.

WHEW! I'm just wore out reading your posting. 🤕 The good part is ... you will not look like this while the van takes it's long sweet time to warm up in minus temps .... 🥶

I watched a YT vid on taking the cloth seats apart to install the heating pad elements. That quickly turned me off going that route. As for making controllers, I'm more of being a bit flexible. Using a 12VDC type rheostat one can tune in the comfort temperature to the clothing being worn on that drive time. I do like your clever power source option. Snaking under the carpet to the passenger side should do both seats.

As for sounds, our vans are rattle traps. Outside noise can warn a person of lurking problems or dangers. Dampering those out can negate knowing how to react in a time of need. I can understand the roof issue of being in a tin soda can as the rain sounds like the fizz.

The good thing about this thread is, we are all going to be warm and comfortable as the cold gets here soon. ❄⛄💨

·
Registered
622 Posts
Finally, a morning drive to work below 32F.

The seats work really well. Very pleased with this method. The install took less than 20 seconds.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
Ah Ha!
Those hooks do have a function!
Added plus is that they're cloth. Leather is VERY cold until the heater kicks in, heaters are almost a necessity with leather.

Now I just gotta figure out what those weird holes on the sides of the premium seats are for...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ah Ha!
Those hooks do have a function!
Added plus is that they're cloth. Leather is VERY cold until the heater kicks in, heaters are almost a necessity with leather.

Now I just gotta figure out what those weird holes on the sides of the premium seats are for...
This is the first time I ever used those hooks. Thus, the install was 20 seconds.

From what I gathered, the hooks are for backpacks or duffel bags with straps that sit on the floor. This way they don't roll from one side of the van to the other. My son used them that way.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Getting even colder on the morning drive in to work. 10F. The heated seat cover worked wonderfully.

The temps are to drop into next week just below 10F. Glad to be warmed before the vehicle gets to temp and then works to reach a comfort level. These are perfect for keeping warm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I swapped the cloth seats (power drivers with manual passenger) in my 05 GC with heated leather seats from a loaded T&C I found in the U-Pull-It yard. I took the seats, switches and harness plugs for both seats and switches. I took the bezel too since mine didn't have an opening for the switches. The switches are part of an assembly that includes buttons for the rear wiper and hazard. The passenger airbag light moves to its own spot just under the vent. I left the new rear wiper switches as dummies since the wiring is different and the original wiper buttons still work.

My van was wired for the power passenger seat but nothing for the heated seats. With a wiring schematic from a van with heated seats, I recreated the original wiring from the switches to the seats.

The "new" seats work really well. They heat up very quickly and get very hot on the high setting.

I wouldn't recommend this route unless you're somewhat good at automotive wiring. A schematic helps but there are no instructions like installing a stereo system. You have to know how this stuff works. If you're up to it, it's a great upgrade. Especially from base cloth seats.

I've actually found several nice upgrades from loaded vans in the salvage yard.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I swapped the cloth seats (power drivers with manual passenger) in my 05 GC with heated leather seats from a loaded T&C I found in the U-Pull-It yard. I took the seats, switches and harness plugs for both seats and switches. I took the bezel too since mine didn't have an opening for the switches. The switches are part of an assembly that includes buttons for the rear wiper and hazard. The passenger airbag light moves to its own spot just under the vent. I left the new rear wiper switches as dummies since the wiring is different and the original wiper buttons still work.

My van was wired for the power passenger seat but nothing for the heated seats. With a wiring schematic from a van with heated seats, I recreated the original wiring from the switches to the seats.

The "new" seats work really well. They heat up very quickly and get very hot on the high setting.

I wouldn't recommend this route unless you're somewhat good at automotive wiring. A schematic helps but there are no instructions like installing a stereo system. You have to know how this stuff works. If you're up to it, it's a great upgrade. Especially from base cloth seats.

I've actually found several nice upgrades from loaded vans in the salvage yard.
Whew. lots of work. At least you have OE heated seats. I played with the idea of going your route, BUT, after reading SEVERAL postings here in the archive, I found out that the OE heated seating had issues and headaches for the owners. Thus ...

I opted for the heated seat covers for the back and seat cushion as one, universal fit perfectly and install took 20 seconds. Love it! Temps hit 1F this week. These worked perfectly for less than $20. Basically an EZ plug-n-play.

Yes, cloth seats are VERY handy. (y)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts