The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's funny that all the luxury options that our vans have that they don't have engine compartment lights or glove compartment lights.

My TC has lights everywhere you can think of in the interior except the glove boxes. And it doesn't seem to be an option either.

I was able to do an engine compartment light fairly easy . Im going to try to improvise a glove box light .

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
371 Posts
I hadn't even considered it but yeah, what's up with that?

My 1986 Dodge Caravan LE has a light under the hood, my 1985 Ford E150 has a light under the hood, but my 2013 Chrysler Town and Country doesn't.

Also, it's not fair, my old Caravan LE has an awesome hood ornament (Yes, it's still there after thirty-four years), but my Town and Country Touring doesn't. :)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just can't get over the no glove box lights . The under hood light I'm willing to forgive . But the GB light wasn't even offered as an option .Not even on the after market

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just can't get over the no glove box lights . The under hood light I'm willing to forgive . But the GB light wasn't even offered as an option .Not even on the after market
One would think on a $40000+ van they could put in a couple lights.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is kind of weird, but I honestly never gave it any thought. Out of six vehicles, my Town and Country is only one of two vehicles I've owned that even has/had a glove box, and my Chrysler has two of them. :)

I don't recall if my 1969 Ford Torino GT had a glove box light or not, I haven't had that car since 1982.

What I think would have been cool is if the sliding doors on my Chrysler had courtesy lights in their leading edges to light up the area in front of them at night. Also a pair of cargo lights in the back of the van would have been nice too, though the light on the inside of the lift gate works pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
24,404 Posts
You are suppose to carry a flashlight in your glove box. :)

If something is added, then space is taken away from somewhere. More light or more space? Space wins.

How about the light on the sunvisor, will it illuminate the glove box?

In the big scheme of things ..........................

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've never tried.

How much room would an LED and a light switch take up?

My Town and Country came with a flashlight, it's stored in the cargo area and I have used it. I love that my van came with a flashlight.

My 1986 Dodge Caravan LE originally came with a calculator but it was missing in mine when I bought it used in 2012. I found a credit card sized calculator to put in its place.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
Hood lights are rare beyond the 80s. Hood ornaments were axed because of pedestrian safety in crashes.
Glove box light... yeah, now that you mention it, that is weird. Neither box has even a single light. Yet we have ceiling mood lighting and a flashlight as standard equipment. 2 wires, a normally-open momentary switch, and a bulb wouldn't have been too hard to put in.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Though my '86 Caravan and '85 Econoline both have hood lights, they aren't all that useful. Good candidates for LED lighting I think.

Rolls Royce still does hood ornaments.

The hood ornament on my '86 Caravan is spring loaded so it will fold over. But I suspect it could still put an eye out.

Talking bout pedestrian safety, what about modern Chevy trucks? Wow, they have front end like a wall!

Hmm, I wonder how many newer cars no longer have glove box lights?

·
Super Moderator
24,404 Posts
Though my '86 Caravan and '85 Econoline both have hood lights, they aren't all that useful. Good candidates for LED lighting I think.

Rolls Royce still does hood ornaments.

The hood ornament on my '86 Caravan is spring loaded so it will fold over. But I suspect it could still put an eye out.

Talking bout pedestrian safety, what about modern Chevy trucks? Wow, they have front end like a wall!

Hmm, I wonder how many newer cars no longer have glove box lights?

How many people put gloves in a glove box? Me, never.

Hood ornament theft was a problem years back.
AUTOS: DOING AWAY WITH HOOD ORNAMENTS
Theft also became a costly problem as manufacturers struggled to protect the centerpiece from a mid-1980s rap-music-inspired fashion fad—hood ornament necklaces
Get yourself an ornament: https://www.etsy.com/ca/market/truck_hood_ornaments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've never even seen gloves in a glove box. Rolls Royce hood ornaments retract for when you're in neighborhoods like mine. :)

But yeah, I remember how prevalent hood ornament theft was, especially Mercedes hood ornaments.

·
Super Moderator
24,404 Posts
Those pentastar hood ornaments were popular too.

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
My 94 Grand caravan has an under hood light, Glove box light and it was the last year to have a hood ornament. In 95 they have a emblem glued to the hood in the same place.
If you ask me the lights are gone to save a few $$.
The hood ornaments just went out of style.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 94 Grand caravan has an under hood light, Glove box light and it was the last year to have a hood ornament. In 95 they have a emblem glued to the hood in the same place.
If you ask me the lights are gone to save a few $$.
The hood ornaments just went out of style.
Hummmm maybe I'll find a 94 at the pick and pull .And see if i can adopt a GB light to my 09 TC . I already did the hood light

·
Super Moderator
24,404 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts