The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

If you think you have a clogged brake hose, it might be easier to fix than it seems

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Road Ripper 
#1 ·
The original symptom was the front calipers weren't releasing after use. Dragging and getting hot instead. This led to the diagnosis that there was a restriction somewhere not allowing the pressure in the caliper to release.

After replacing a bunch of things, including the hose (from the hard brake line at the body to the front caliper) which was apparently quite clogged, I made a discovery that might help someone facing a similar problem.

The hose itself wasn't the problem - it was the support bracket which is clamped to it midway along its length.

Over the years, as that steel rusted, the interior of the crimped part (that holds the hose) became increasingly tight on the hose. The rust makes the steel effectively get thicker, and it had slowly but surely pinched the hose closed. By prying the bracket open with a screwdriver, the hose was then fine.

The sad part is that I only discovered that after changing out the hose and cutting the old one apart to find the restriction.
So my hope in posting this is to save someone else a lot of trouble, in case theirs has similar symptoms.

See less See more
#2 ·
The original symptom was the front calipers weren't releasing after use. Dragging and getting hot instead. This led to the diagnosis that there was a restriction somewhere not allowing the pressure in the caliper to release.

After replacing a bunch of things, including the hose (from the hard brake line at the body to the front caliper) which was apparently quite clogged, I made a discovery that might help someone facing a similar problem.

The hose itself wasn't the problem - it was the support bracket which is clamped to it midway along its length.

Over the years, as that steel rusted, the interior of the crimped part (that holds the hose) became increasingly tight on the hose. The rust makes the steel effectively get thicker, and it had slowly but surely pinched the hose closed. By prying the bracket open with a screwdriver, the hose was then fine.

The sad part is that I only discovered that after changing out the hose and cutting the old one apart to find the restriction.
So my hope in posting this is to save someone else a lot of trouble, in case theirs has similar symptoms.
Someone posted it before, 1994 Sport, I believe.

Think this hose was re-designed to fix that problem.

It is true some times, but not always, especially on southern states.

#3 ·
Yup, I try to remind people with these problems in 3rd gen to pry the bracket open a little now and then, to keep the hose loose. A permanent fix to the issue is to use a 4th gen van front brake hose instead, because instead of a bracket it uses a section of hard steel line by the caliper to place the hose away from the tire.

Reactions: fega72
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.