The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I noticed is that the shocks don't have a wire keeping them compressed before installation. Do I need to install the top then release them somehow and guide them into the bottom or do I install them as is? If I need to release them, how would that be done? Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Edy and others say to use a floor jack to compress them and align. I've not done this yet. Still looking for a good used set in my area.

Just be safe doing this please.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
408 Posts
If you keep the tires on, and jack up both sides of the rear so that the tires are off the ground, the suspension should be hanging low enough to install them. If not, install the upper bolt first and use a jack to compress the bottom until it lines up.

You got the longer bolts for Nivomats too? The normal shock bolts aren't long enough for the Nivomat bushings.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks, everyone! Your suggestions were very helpful and installation was a breeze.
Got a few pixs to share? I would like to see how well they fit-up on a van that didn't come with them in the first place.

(y)all thumbs up! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My van had Nivomats originally. I didn't realize that fact and put on a set of regular shocks not knowing the originals were Nivomats. I found out quickly after installing regular shocks when the van started bottoming out in the back end when going over fairly mild bumps. This installation was to replace the wrong shocks with brand new Nivomats. If your van didn't have Nivomats originally, I can't say I'd recommend installing them since the vehicle wasn't designed for them. Mine was designed for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts