1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

History ...

My cars ...

1973 Renault 12 (1.2L UK) Power train issues (1976-78)
1976 Renault 5 (850cc UK) Rust (1978-79)
1978 Renault 12 (1.2L UK) Moved to Canada (1979-81)
1981 Toyota Tercel (1.4L) Rust in a rustproofed car! (1981-84)
1984 Renault Alliance (the Appliance) Reached its age (demo - 1984- 91)
1984 Dodge Caravan (2.2) Head gasket blew (1987-92)
1987 Renault Medallion (2.0L) Customized by Crunch (1991-1998)
1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager Ltd (3.3) Death by Age (1998-2002) It was labeled a Caravan!
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (3.8) Near Death by Age (2002-2009)

So, I've had 3 Caravoyagers ... they've served me well, but the latest is dying in a death by 1000 knives. I'm really sad to be saying goodbye to it because it's been a super car. I'll see if I can do some repairs that I've got lined up to at least make it safe and sell it for what I can get, or part it out.

I so wanted to maybe replace it with another Caravoyager, but most of the recent used ones are getting traded early because there's things wrong with them. The new Caravoyager is too fuel thirsty and it has good and bad points. I hated the fact that I brushed my hair getting in and out with the low height driver's door! And the options packages were silly combinations. Not to mention the fear that Chrysler may not exist as long as I need to keep my next car!

So, I'm a traitor ... I bought a Subaru Forester. I'll stick around here while I can attempt to add something useful ... but it's a sad day that the Caravans that have served me well are more vehicle than I need.

:(

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Hang in there with the others that are no longer driving Chysler Minivans but like to share experiences with those that do. Don't be a stranger. :thumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1 on the subaru. Great for my commute back and forth to work, but way to small for 3 kids. Hence the Caravan. Enjoy.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
You (too) may return

:confused:
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (3.8) Near Death by Age (2002-2009)

So, I've had 3 Caravoyagers ... they've served me well, but the latest is dying in a death by 1000 knives. I'm really sad to be saying goodbye to it because it's been a super car......

I so wanted to maybe replace it with another Caravoyager, but most of the recent used ones are getting traded early because there's things wrong with them. The new Caravoyager is too fuel thirsty and it has good and bad points. I hated the fact that I brushed my hair getting in and out with the low height driver's door! And the options packages were silly combinations. Not to mention the fear that Chrysler may not exist as long as I need to keep my next car!

So, I'm a traitor ... I bought a Subaru Forester. I'll stick around here while I can attempt to add something useful ... but it's a sad day that the Caravans that have served me well are more vehicle than I need.

:(
Our 2002 T&C eL 3.3L and our new 2009 GC SXT 3.8L get good gas mileage just like the 1999 GC SE 3.3L did (26 -28 MPG average on long trips and 22-24 MPG OVERALL average).

Our 2nd daughter bought the 99 GC when we traded it in on the 2002 T&C and we gave our 1st daughter the 02 T&C 4 months after we got the 2006 Sienna LE because Chrysler minivans are VERY reliable and cost very little to keep maintained. We hope the Sienna will be as reliable as the 2 Chrysler minivans have been.

Although we did not personally own and drive a Chrysler minivan for over 3 years, I continued reading in this Chrysler Minivan Fan Club.

Keep reading and posting. Maybe you will find out that the Subaru Forestor is NOT as satisfying as a Chrysler minivan like I learned with the Toyota Sienna and will buy another Chrysler minivan in 3 or 4 years.:thumb:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep reading and posting. Maybe you will find out that the Subaru Forestor is NOT as satisfying as a Chrysler minivan like I learned with the Toyota Sienna and will buy another Chrysler minivan in 3 or 4 years.:thumb:
What goes around comes around.

The Subaru was a good car mostly. I could carry a fairly good amount of stuff ... it was comfortable ... it was usually good on gas.

BUT then a few years ago old age started setting in. It's had 4 brake jobs in 5 years. Partly due to crappy replacements. A wheel bearing died and another 2 going. Two suspension bushings. and the list went on. This winter the exhaust system joints were found dying, the Power steering started leaking. The gas mileage went from around 8 L /100k, to 12 ... not good.

Cost of repairs needed estimated at 10 grand and the chances of more significant repairs in a year was too high.

What could I get without spending the earth? Found a 2017 Caravan ... BIG improvement over the 2009. You can get in the back without clobbering your noggin on the side airbag holders for one thing! The seats are now more comfortable (2009 were like sitting on boards!) Reasonable accessories. Reasonable mileage and LOADS of oomph. Almost TOO much. SMOOTH and SO EASY to drive.

Yes it's more vehicle than I need still but a SUV/CUV is now too costly and I am NOT buying Hyundai or Kia. Too many rentals that crapped out on those!

So, I AM BACK!

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Subaru - good for the short term, expensive for the long term.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Greetings. The one thing about new shoes, is there great when a car is attached! Congratulations.:thumb:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9 months with my Caravoyager.

A few "niggles" but it's a nice vehicle.

In terms of driveability, there are 2 things ...
. Turning circle's a little large so it can be a little hard to park. This is a matter of just getting used to it.
. Acceleration surges. When you put your foot down, sometimes it takes off as if you'd floored it for a second and other times it behaves as expected. It's not too much of a problem and you get used to it.

In terms of the interior fittings ...
. The USB port in the glove box doesn't charge anything and sometimes doesn't work. Probably needs replacing.
. My model doesn't have "Auto" on the lights. It would make so much sense.
. Computer control of everything making it a pain to improve things. I swear if they could computer control your box of tissues they would!
. 4 front cupholders in the console??? They gotta be kidding!
. Radio and voice control "Reply YES or NO" ... "NO" ... Reply YES or NO" ... "NO" ... give up, turn it off and on again.

. You can have ANY COLOUR YOU WANT ... as long as it's black or a shade of black!

·
Registered
638 Posts
9 months with my Caravoyager.

A few "niggles" but it's a nice vehicle.

. Acceleration surges. When you put your foot down, sometimes it takes off as if you'd floored it for a second and other times it behaves as expected. It's not too much of a problem and you get used to it.
With the full size RAM trucks, the throttle body being metal is a common ground. But FCA put it on the plastic air-intake plenum. So, the engines get a surge affect. The simple cure ... Run a ground strap from one of the 4 mounting bolts to a vehicle ground. Problem totally solved. Check out your 2017 if this is a similar issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts