The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 1997 T&C 3.8L, 161K mies, after a thorough engine power wash, i started noticing the cluster power goes down-all guages goes dead but came back right away, and after half mile the van died on the way. so i thot it may be some water humidity problem under the hood, so i opened up hood waited for approx half hour and statrted again drove back home. i rechd home. opend the Hood and allowed it to dry. it was really a hot day, so the engine was really dried. Then one day (after couple of weeks)i started van and drove. Then all of sudden after going for approx two miles, it started dying. waited for 15 min, started van and it died right away, i did couple of times-then i thot the van cmptr may be thinking "somebody broke in to teh car" , so may be alarm shutting of engine. BUT NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came in all these above incidents. so i tried to reset by doing locking&unlocking the doors, and changed gears -to reset the alarm. i was able to start and go again , but after a couple of miles again van died. i pulled into a pkng lot, and removed the battery, and waite few minutes, thn strtd again and drove back home (i did not go the place i wanted to go that day, i was little scared sometimes i may not reach). this is happend the day i power washed the engine. Then this problem - starting and dying - did not happened for months.
then after may be more than 6 months- i went to MN ( i am from IL) , on the way back, i stopped at Mcdonalds, stoped the van, grabbed sandwich and cofffee, and ate inside the van. after finishing up my food, i started the van- all of a sudden - it died instantly. Started again, died again. i did couple of times same result. But again NO CHECK ENGINE light. so i tried to do something-i might have pressed lock / unlock in the remote, changed gear, opened hood, hit on the realys, and started van again but it died right away. then i decided to press gas pedal at teh time starting/right after startiing. it did not worked for couple of tries. But finally, it started it stayed, with out dying. i came back to home without any problem. (i did not stop anywhere after that mcdonalds). then the problem never showed up another couple of months.

Then recently around 3 weeks ago, i was locally driving, on the way i noticed all my guages - instrument cluster blacked out. BUT this time the CHECK ENGINE light showed up, so i decided to return and came back home. i researched on these minivan forums- and found may be there is soldering problem on instrmnt cluster cable connectors. i opened the custer panel and removed and chkd any crack on soldering - even chkd connecivty on teh pins and solder lines- it all seemed good. but anyway - as the posting said- isoldered again all the pins - approx 9 pins have coonections- put back and started van- it started, not died, the cluster lighted up, all guages showed good. but teh CHECK ENGINE light still there. I went 2 autozone, and they read the code - it said p1698- what it means somekind of open connection betn TCMand CCM. there r many suggestions in the postings, but one says "TRY REMOVING THE BATTERY cable 5 min and reconnect" , and I did that method. bingo, the check engine light is gone, so far things r going good- now i drove the van approx 900+ miles.

My van have a idle rpm issue - from cold start-the rpm is about 850rpm. i expected after starting it will go high - like most other cars do, so i suspected and changed the idle control valve - the solenoid, but no change in rpm. but still my van starts and runs good. so i keep driving. any other thing suspect in this idle rpm issue ???? any suggestions ???

also now i started to see brake light comes on and off during driving. any suggections...thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm no mechanic but it seems to me you might still have condensation in the electrics somewhere.. All I can think of is spray the whole engine area with WD 40 I mean totaly blast it every nook and cranny!! Hope his helps.. I' was told by my mecanic mate never jetwash petrol engines not with all the electrics that's on today's cars!!! Good luck and keep us in formed buddy!!!

·
5000 Club
5,685 Posts
Another thing to look at is the connector on the climate control panel. I see the perplexed look on your face. I've read several accounts of the connector melting and killing the instrument cluster and creating starting issues. How? The CCD data bus is the message path used by all the electronic modules on the van for communications. If this path fails anywhere, seemingly unrelated problems can pop up. A common fail point is the instrument cluster connection you have already inspected. I hope you retouched each solder joint on the connector regardless of what you saw. Another less common fail point is the climate control panel connection. It can melt, usually due to the blower motor drawing too much current. When it melts the CCD path through the connector opens.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=6547

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
What is your location? An 850 cold idle rpm is fine if it is warm out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
1. Never powerwash the engine.
2. What the others said.
3. You may be low on brakefluid. Don't add much if you're about due for new brakes.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
1. Never powerwash the engine.
I wouldn't say NEVER, just do it reasonably. I've washed (power or just hose) my engine many times and it never fails to run fine after. Although I don't wash it when hot, and I always start the engine the instant I'm done and let it heat up and get any water off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When you know what everything does you know what to avoid. All others should never powerwash their engine.

I just wipe everything off while changing the oil so it never gets dirty.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
That's true. I do avoid directly spraying things like the coil pack and computers, although they do get some splash on them. But then again, they get some splash on them during rainy days too, just not soaked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts