The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Grand Voyager with a 3.3 liter engine. Twice now, the instrument panel has shut off: all the gauges fall to zero, as if the ignition switch were off, except for the speedometer, which shows an increase in speed until it pegs out at the high end. Nothing else is affected. This happened once in daylight hours (without the headlights on) and once at night. Both times, I continued driving. The first time, it corrected itself. The second time, it sat for a few hours, and when I started it, everything appeared normal. Any suggestions?

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
All too common on 3rd generation vans (1996-2000). First, next time it happens smack the dash above the instrument cluster. If it comes alive you have cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board. Could be even if it doesn't. Here's the FREE fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GczhHgdUuI4

Reactions: JC1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smacked it like you said and the thing went completely haywire. So I went to the Youtube you recommended. I watched a couple of others, just to make sure, then I took it apart, soldered the cracked joint, and put it back together. Didn't solve all the elctrical problems ... now I have sporadically funcitoning door locks ... but the dashboard issue seems to be resolved. Took me about 45 minutes. Took longer to put the plastic covers back on the steering column than anything else.

Thanks

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
Nice work. Just curious. Did you see the cracks or did you just reflow all the connector solder joints? Reason I ask is many will look at them, not notice any cracks so they just reinstall the cluster. Can be a big mistake. Some of the cracks can be microscopic.

So what's up with then door locks? Did this appear after you fixed the cluster? When do they and don't they work? Are they popping up and down as you drive?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts