The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noted our car insurance was getting pricey and decided to shop around. I have had Geico for about 10 years and its been going up a bit every year. I filled out some of the quotation forms from other companies but noted that they didnt have a "drop down" box that covered the Ram C/V. They had Ram 1500, 2500, etc. Being it was insurance I couldnt just say it was a Caravan as they wanted my VIN. So I called one of the companies, (Progressive I think) about it and was told the Ram C/V is not on the list because it was "unofficial". I asked what that meant and she just said if its not on the list they don't insure it. I assume maybe this is because it is commonly used as a commercial vehicle, but I use mine as a daily driver commuting. I pointed out there is no difference between a Caravan (which is "official") and my C/V but she hung up on me. Anyone else experience this, and were you able to get insurance with a major company? (Without getting Business commercial insurance?) I did try "the General" and they would insure it but the monthly payment was 3 times what I am paying now. At this point I am considering selling the C/V and buying a Ram 2500 so I can still carry some hay bales for the sheep once in a while.

· Registered
180 Posts
Maybe try a real auto insurance company like State Farm or AAA. Companies that spend 80% of their money on TV advertising don't have devoted employees or good databases of vehicles.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
If you're military or a close relative of military, get USAA.

Side note: Saying "I have USAA." will get most insurance telemarketers to hang up on you instantly. They are that cheap.

· Registered
897 Posts
I have a Ram c/v no problem with insurance.

· fix it if you can
5,848 Posts
Where are you (what state) - insurance market is state regulated and will depend on a number of factors (number of insurance companies, state mandates, claim rates, etc)

If you're just "shopping around" don't give prospective companies your VIN, give them year make and model - if they don't have ram c/v give them caravan. The reason it's not on the list is most likely due to low number on c/v's on the road.
However, if the company you're trying to buy insurance from is hanging up on you during a quote, you'd better be looking elsewhere - just imagine what's going to happen when you need help with a claim.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the hangup was a Progressive rep...Flo didn't like the van. In NY, so high insurance for everything. State Farm quoted me with no problem but was 150/mo, higher than I am paying now with Geico. "The General" was 250/mo. Metromile was interesting but not available here and you had to run an "ankle bracelet" as well.
BTW, this is for 2 cars, the other is an old 2008 Nissan Versa sedan with the basic coverage (no collision/comp/glass), the van does have coll/comp/glass.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, plug in modules. I actually have a thorton module plugged into mine for a HP boost and some better gas mileage, but it doesnt track me or how or where I drive. My EZ pass lives in the glove box wrapped in an emp proof bag. Only comes out if I ever need it, but by careful driving I avoid places where it is needed.

· fix it if you can
5,848 Posts
In NY, so high insurance for everything
Well, it's our George Santos state... grass is legal, drivers always follow regulations, cat converters go awol, vehicles too :rolleyes:

You probably know, but having a "commercial" plate in our sate means pretty much nothing regarding business vs personal use...

As for insurance, there's no rhyme or reason and you're probably not going to get much cheaper (depending on what part of state you're in) but take a look at:

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
I got a "super speeder" ticket. They already know what the deal is. :p

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shopping around now, but likely will end up selling or trading the C/V for a GC this spring. Of course I will need stow and go seats and have to put up with all those windows!

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, doing that for now, (and rates rose again for 4th straight time) - but "commercial" status also means I cannot drive in certain areas of cities, or operate the van on Parkways, and that is becoming an issue now. If the van was a GC, no issues, and I could do and drive wherever, but because its an "empty" GC, I cannot.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Yes, doing that for now, (and rates rose again for 4th straight time) - but "commercial" status also means I cannot drive in certain areas of cities, or operate the van on Parkways, and that is becoming an issue now. If the van was a GC, no issues, and I could do and drive wherever, but because its an "empty" GC, I cannot.
That's crazy, It's ok to drive a pickup on the parkway, but not a minivan? We had C/V's at my job, never had a problem on the NY parkways, but ours did have the tinted windows and NJ plates.

· Registered
2020 Granite Touring L+: 35th Anniversary, 8 seats, Pano roof, Advanced Safety Tech, spare; Deliver
4 Posts
I think the issue is no side windows beyond the front doors. Many years ago my cousin had a cargo type van (long before min-vans) and he had "parkway" windows cut in the sides so he could drive on NYC parkways. But it sounds like you might have commercial plates rather than personal plates? That also is a restriction and probably makes the insurance company automatically put you a different category.

· Registered
278 Posts
I once ran into a similar problem with State Farm on a RAM 2500. They claimed the VIN was invalid because they didn't recognize a chassis cab VIN. I had to take in my shop manual and have my agent fax them the VIN decode page so that they understood what they were supposed to already know.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is the issue - VIN requires commercial plates. To use it on a highway, I have to add windows behind the driver (rear and sides) and have a seat behind the driver. With insurance though, they go by the VIN number, so even if I did that, its still a "commercial vehicle" to them.

· Registered
2020 Granite Touring L+: 35th Anniversary, 8 seats, Pano roof, Advanced Safety Tech, spare; Deliver
4 Posts
That is the issue - VIN requires commercial plates. To use it on a highway, I have to add windows behind the driver (rear and sides) and have a seat behind the driver. With insurance though, they go by the VIN number, so even if I did that, its still a "commercial vehicle" to them.
Just to clarify for non-NYC area people -- NYC distinguishes "parkways" from "highways" even though in some cases one turns into another. Belt Parkway, Cross Island Parkway, FDR Drive, etc restrict commercial vehicles. Other highways (Gowanus Expressway, etc.) are unrestricted. And BTW, many of the parkways have low clearance areas -- self enforcing when a big truck tries to make it through an underpass.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts