The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 70k mile 2006 with 3.8 has run low on oil and spun bearings , we changed all the rod bearings and inspected the crank. ( crank was ok) bearings were really bad. after new bearings I've driven it about 10 miles and knock has come back. looking at the used car part website ( junkyards ) I've found a 3.8 in a 2010 and was wanting to know if the 5 gen 3.8s would fit my van or if anything is different. Thanks in advance.

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
Welcome,
The 3.8l engine will fit no problem, don't know if timing cover and accessory drive is the same though.
Generally speaking, if yard interchange shows compatibility it should work.

Details on what changed over the years on these engines:

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
The 2010 uses a different computer system to run it, so some things are different like the throttle body. Cam gear is the same, but I don't know about the timing cover. The alternator and power steering pump, maybe A/C compressor are mounted differently/in different places, so be prepared to swap the timing cover, harmonic balancer and accessories over from your old engine. The oil pan is also different, so may need to be swapped as well. It will have to come off anyway to swap the timing cover. Basically you can only use the bare short block, maybe a little more. You'll want a new oil pump if you're swapping the timing cover over.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As @Road Ripper said, the "engine" itself hasn't really changed, you will have to swap all the exterior parts/sensors over for it to work though.
Timing cover, mount bracket, possibly exhaust manifolds, flexplate, all sensors,etc will have to be swapped from your old engine to the new one.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
328 Posts
I consider replacing rod bearings an advanced level of skill. If you have the ability to do that you should have no issues transferring the external dress from the old engine to the new one.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
A low mileage 2004 engine would be best. Still uses the NGC computer, and was before Chrysler changed piston ring specs that caused 2005-up to use more oil. My 216,000 mile 2004 3.8 still doesn't use enough oil between changes to warrant topping up. You have to drive them to keep the rings loose though, and fix any leaks.

Change plugs before installing the engine, and be careful as some threads are inside the combustion chamber and get carboned up. My #1 spark plug came out HARD and galled up the threads. I got a new spark plug back in, but if it ever needs to come back out the head will have to be removed/repaired or replaced.

Also for anyone else reading this for reference in the future, the flex plate stayed the same from 2004 to 2010.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts