The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been hot and humid in Florida this month.
I noticed my A/C was not performing as well as it had been.
I didn't (and still haven't) had the ambition to put the gauges on it.

So I have been enduring 'luke cool' performance and most of the time it is adequate.

One day I was uncomfortable and I out of desperation, I turned the rear A/C on high speed fan as low cool as I can set it. I have the automatic digital controls all set down until LO is displayed. I keep the rear controls on LO / cool and switch the dash to REAR when I use it.

Interestingly, by using the rear A/C too, for some reason contrary to my understanding, it makes the front A/C operationally colder, almost to the point of uncomfortable cold.

What could be the situation where turning the rear A/C on makes the front A/C colder???

In my understanding of theory, by using the rear a/c, I am adding more heat to the system and would expect the opposite reaction at the front.

Interesting...
Comments?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,674 Posts
It has been hot and humid in Florida this month.
I noticed my A/C was not performing as well as it had been.
I didn't (and still haven't) had the ambition to put the gauges on it.

So I have been enduring 'luke cool' performance and most of the time it is adequate.

One day I was uncomfortable and I out of desperation, I turned the rear A/C on high speed fan as low cool as I can set it. I have the automatic digital controls all set down until LO is displayed. I keep the rear controls on LO / cool and switch the dash to REAR when I use it.

Interestingly, by using the rear A/C too, for some reason contrary to my understanding, it makes the front A/C operationally colder, almost to the point of uncomfortable cold.

What could be the situation where turning the rear A/C on makes the front A/C colder???

In my understanding of theory, by using the rear a/c, I am adding more heat to the system and would expect the opposite reaction at the front.

Interesting...
Comments?
If your front system is not working as it should (but system full of refrigerant), then the rear system is cooling the inside of your vehicle.

Now, your front system is cooling air that was already pre-cooled by the rear evaporator.

Front evaporator orifice tube might be partially clogged.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If your front system is not working as it should (but system full of refrigerant), then the rear system is cooling the inside of your vehicle.

Now, your front system is cooling air that was already pre-cooled by the rear evaporator.

Front evaporator orifice tube might be partially clogged.
I would agree with Levy,except to say that I don't think you necessarily have a problem. Just these vans are hot boxes and two fans and evaporators are better than one,my van also does better with both. I run the back on 2 and the front on 3 fan setting

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Now that you have used the rear AC, what happens now when you only use the front. Put a set of gauges on it and let us know. Also, it is already winter in Canada, and Jeepman will not be answering.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,948 Posts
Verify that nothing is right in front of/blocking the temp sensor in the three front, middle vents. That will cause your automatic system to think the cabin is cool when it isn't.

Don't ask me how I know about this.... :rolleyes: 😄

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Verify that nothing is right in front of/blocking the temp sensor in the three front, middle vents. That will cause your automatic system to think the cabin is cool when it isn't.

Don't ask me how I know about this.... :rolleyes: 😄
I remember that. :)

FabricGATOR probably has a darning needle hanging from his dash, obstructing the infrared sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts