The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I did a successful repair on my van's driver side front door window motor today, but in the process of fixing one thing, I caused another problem that I could use some advice on how to resolve.

With the trim panel reinstalled, the interior door lever binds. It unlatches the door fine, but the lever will not return to the the resting position. It stays in the "open" position and has to be pushed back down manually into the closed position. The outside door lever has not been affected and works correctly.

The door lock knob moves up and down freely until I open the door from the inside. When the interior door lever gets stuck in the open position, the door lock knob cannot be moved. When I manually pushed the interior door lever back to the closed or resting position, the door lock knob again moves freely. That leads me to believe that the door lock rod and the door latch rod are binding. I was careful when removing the trim panel to keep the trim panel level until I disconnected the latch rod from the interior door lever, so I am fairly certain I did bend or distort the rod.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the trim panel today multiple times with no success. Watching this repair on youtube, it looks like reinstalling the trim panel should be a mistake proof simple task. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get this resolved?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,833 Posts
Not easy to diagnose remotely. What I would suggest is to remove the door panel and see if the problem persist.

If problem is gone, then at least you know everything inside is OK and you need to be mire careful reinstalling the door panel. If problem persist with the door panel off, then you probably need to re-route one of the steel rods.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Whenever I have a problem with the doors I usually need to open the door panel on the opposite side door and see how it works properly. It's a pain, but it might be the only option.

Check those rods to make sure you have those little plastic clips that hold the rod in place securely fastened.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Both the latch and the lock rods move and operate correctly with the door panel removed. I was trying to avoid opening up the passenger side to use as a reference, but I may not have a choice.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,833 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Both the latch and the lock rods move and operate correctly with the door panel removed. I was trying to avoid opening up the passenger side to use as a reference, but I may not have a choice.
I wouldn't recommend it.

When you remove the other panel, both will look exactly the same. Just remove the problematic panel and see if you can see what the problem is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a look at a different remove/reinstall door trim panel video to see if anything on my door looked out of place compared to the door on the video. It did not. Back to more trial and error until I get it figured out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I took a look at a different remove/reinstall door trim panel video to see if anything on my door looked out of place compared to the door on the video. It did not. Back to more trial and error until I get it figured out.
Or a trip to the local you pull it to see what it looks like on a donor van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts