The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im having a bit of trouble with my interior lights. when i open the door none of them come on, but i can turn them on manually. changing the position of the thumb wheel has no effect. i know the door switches are fine because the door ajar light works.

bit of a weird one. does anyone know what it could be?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Remove IOD fuse under hood for a minute and reinstall resets BCM. You will have to reset your clock afterwards.

C.B.
and also your radio code. :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
mine doesn't lose it's presets either. but doesn't it ask you for your code? the ones i've done over here in spain (3 off), have always asked me for codes. maybe that's one of the few differences between american and european models?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
No theft codes here. The presets remain but the clock needs to be reset, very easy though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It means Ignition Off Something. The fuse is the little fuse closest to the windshield in the engine compartment fusebox. You can also unhook the neg battery cable for a few minutes to get the same effect.

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
Ignition Off Draw. I recommend pulling the fuse first for 2-3 minutes. If that doesn't do it disconnect the negative battery cable for 2-3 minutes. Chances are slim but ugly things can happen when disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
161 Posts
possibly the headlight switch. these sometimes breakdow internally.

br. ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ive tried pulling the fuse and even disconnected the battery but it hasnt worked.

ive taken the dash apart to get the headlight switch panel out but it looks like i'll have to break it to open it. is there a way of opening it without breaking it? or should i not bother and get a 2nd hand one?

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
No experience pulling that panel out. Can't help you there. I have wiring diagrams for 3rd gen US vans. Not sure if this applies to your UK van.

The courtesy lamp relay has power applied to it's input side (coil) all the time. It's waiting for you to apply a ground to actuate it. When you turn on the lights on the panel, it completes the circuit to the courtesy lamps driver in the BCM. The BCM then applies the ground to the relay coil. The coil closes the relay's output contacts and the interior lamps circuit is energised. Something is going wrong in that loop. The fuse is good because you have manual control. Could be the switch. If you can get to the switch connector connect an ohmeter between contacts 3 and 9. Actuate the switch. The meter reading should change from infinite to close to zero. Could be the relay. It's on the junction block under the dash. There may be an identical relay on the panel you can swap it with. Last resort is the BCM. Course it could be a broken wire or damaged contact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive managed to take the switch apart and ive done a continuity test and everything appears to be fine. now im a bit lost as to what to check next.
is anything else connected to the interior light circuit that may affect its operation? the fuses are all good, are there any relays that control the circuit?
oh and could somebody point me to a wiring diagram please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
sorry RIP you must have posted your reply as i was typing mine so i missed it!
which relay is the right one? theres a few under there lol.
what is the bcm and where is it located?
and how would i go about tracing a broken wire or damaged contact?

ive found a wiring diagram and there appears to be 2 relays in the circuit.
the power comes from the 'power distribution center' and then goes to the 'courtesy lamp relay', from there is goes to the headlamp switch and then into a junction block which houses the BCM and 'courtesy lamp relay driver'. from there it goes to the front reading lamps.
what is this courtesy lamp relay driver?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The relay is below the fuses under the dash, there's a picture of the panel somewhere, but do you hear it click?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks i'll check that tomorrow. which relay is it?

ive just found out something interesting. apparently a garage changed the loom last year some time because the car kept cutting out randomly and that was when this problem started. im told it was changed due to a dodgy harness.
does this help in finding the cause of the problem?

·
Registered
321 Posts
ok thanks i'll check that tomorrow. which relay is it?

ive just found out something interesting. apparently a garage changed the loom last year some time because the car kept cutting out randomly and that was when this problem started. im told it was changed due to a dodgy harness.
does this help in finding the cause of the problem?
Does "changed the loom" mean replaced wires in the harness? (American spoken here, English sometimes understood) Usually, the first question to ask when doing a problem analysis is: "What changed?" If they modified the harness, I'd look for an open splice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think loom=harness.
im not sure what the exact problem with the loom/harness was and its going to be hard to find out.
i still havent got round to the relay. i'll let you know more on monday.

thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts