The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had new front hubs installed on my 2012 T&C three months ago, and ever since then I have had an intermittent front end vibration. The vibration comes and goes every fifteen to thirty minutes, and it disappears just as quickly as it begins. I had the tires balanced and the front end alignment checked about a month and a half ago (the alignment was off on the front end, as it turns out), and although the vibration has been reduced drastically it is still present, although to a lesser degree. I considered that possibly one or both of the steering knuckles may have been damaged when the hubs were changed (they were really stuck, and removing them was a big job), that would have been revealed during the front end alignment. I considered a problem with the wheels and/or tires, but that should have disappeared when the wheels were balanced. What should I look at next?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Rotating the tires might help. Having the tire/wheel assemblies road force balanced might also help.

It comes and goes every 20 minutes or so?
Consider this....the tire/wheel assemblies have a slightly difference circumference, so as you drive down a straight road they gradually rotate in relation to each other. If they are both slightly out of balance or round, every once in a while, the shake or force they are putting on the car, will come into sync and become cumulative. Driving further will then put the imbalance out of sync. This may be why the shake comes and goes.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Rear bushing in the front control arms is notoriously weak. Sway bar bushings can go bad and still look like new, though there is usually a strong thump associated with that. A warped steering knuckle WILL NOT be revealed by an alignment. It may be able to point straight but have an offset while turning. But that's unlikely.

What brand hubs? If you went ultra cheap like Detroit Axle, that could be your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear bushing in the front control arms is notoriously weak. Sway bar bushings can go bad and still look like new, though there is usually a strong thump associated with that. A warped steering knuckle WILL NOT be revealed by an alignment. It may be able to point straight but have an offset while turning. But that's unlikely.

What brand hubs? If you went ultra cheap like Detroit Axle, that could be your problem.
I used Master Pro hubs from O'Reilly. The vibration occurs when driving straight and increases when the brakes are applied. All of the brake rotors were just replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotating the tires might help. Having the tire/wheel assemblies road force balanced might also help.

It comes and goes every 20 minutes or so?
Consider this....the tire/wheel assemblies have a slightly difference circumference, so as you drive down a straight road they gradually rotate in relation to each other. If they are both slightly out of balance or round, every once in a while, the shake or force they are putting on the car, will come into sync and become cumulative. Driving further will then put the imbalance out of sync. This may be why the shake comes and goes.
The tires were just rotated. I thought of having the tires road force balanced, but I'm not sure which shops have a road force variation machine.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
That it is intermittent at 30 min intervals makes guessing , well guessing-- also unlikely to be wheels/suspension. How long does it last when it happens, what speed? Is it shifting when this happens? How many miles, have you changed trans fluid? Could be transmission related. Shudder.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I used Master Pro hubs from O'Reilly. The vibration occurs when driving straight and increases when the brakes are applied. All of the brake rotors were just replaced.
Still sounding like the control arms. Could also be shredded motor mounts.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Over torqued axle nut? They likely tighten the axle nut with an impact wrench, which is a no. no if one reads directions.

Sometimes the only solution is to swap the front tires side to side, i.e. change the direction of rotation, to get rid of shakes.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still sounding like the control arms. Could also be shredded motor mounts.
Motor mounts are next on my list of things to do. I've already replaced the front one, I have all the others (along with the transmission mount) and I'll get on them as soon as I finish some stuff I have to do with the house.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Getting them done might solve it for you. And it's generally not smart to replace them one at a time. The other worn ones will rip up a brand new one in a few days if they are bad enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts