The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got a major issue, I have intermittent no headlights ( park lights still work). When I mean I get no headlights, I mean I do not have DRL, low beam and highbeam.

There are days that it wouldn't work and days it works as I'm told (haven't seen van for long enough to diag). But when it works, everything works fine.

Where do I start with this? I'm assuming it has to be something common? FCM issue (thinking corrosion), ground issue or the actual headlight switch ( which I doubt) are the only 3 things I can think of.

Where do I start? Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is on your 2004. Are you running LED 9007 variants for headlamps?

The 9007 sockets and wires to the headlamp housings are not that robust. look for corrosion and chaffed wires from the connector to the wire-harness plastic loom.

I've had this issue on my 2005 SXT around 111,000-miles on the OD. Used CRC electrical cleaner on the contacts and connectors. It helped somewhat. Had to replace the dash switch control. The problem went away.

The same issues you have were the same I had experienced, even while driving. Going down the road, hit a bump, lights out. Also, start up the van, turn the light switch to on, no lights, but only lamps. My van didn't have DRL though. So I can't provide details IF that could be a related issue for you.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is on your 2004. Are you running LED 9007 variants for headlamps?

The 9007 sockets and wires to the headlamp housings are not that robust. look for corrosion and chaffed wires from the connector to the wire-harness plastic loom.

I've had this issue on my 2005 SXT around 111,000-miles on the OD. Used CRC electrical cleaner on the contacts and connectors. It helped somewhat. Had to replace the dash switch control. The problem went away.

The same issues you have were the same I had experienced, even while driving. Going down the road, hit a bump, lights out. Also, start up the van, turn the light switch to on, no lights, but only lamps. My van didn't have DRL though. So I can't provide details IF that could be a related issue for you.
No. I'm running regular halogen headlight bulbs. I'll take everything apart, clean it up and see if that helps. Only reason I'm thinking it's not switch is because DRL don't work.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start with grounds.

When headlights aren't working, jump a ground from battery to one of the headlights. If ground is the problem, everything should came back to life.

Good luck.
You know where any of the grounds are by any chance?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Just grab one ground directly from the headlight to battery. That should do it.

Grounds should be under battrry tray, I would think.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You know where any of the grounds are by any chance?
Yes. Go to this part of the forums.
https://www.chryslerminivan.net/threads/free-electrical-diagrams.95545/

Lookup your vehicle
Look for the component you need wiring info for
Click on it and you will get everything you need to trace or diagnose the circuit
Sometimes, there will be a connector diagram as well to help you determine pin location
Very easy and much quicker than looking on the electrical diagram

AND GO HERE. Link to FCA MOPAR FREE vehicle info.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar issue with my 2005. Turned out to be a faulty FCM.
I assume you got the new one at the dealer? Does it need to be programmed or anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My independent mechanic got it for me. It was a remanufactured Mopar part. Came with a 1 year warranty. I think the bill for diagnosis, parts and labor was in the $400 range.

·
5000 Club
5,667 Posts
I assume you got the new one at the dealer? Does it need to be programmed or anything?
No programming required. I'll never say never but generally the usual problem when the FCM is at fault is you lose a high beam or low beam one side or the other and then it's usually a poor connection between the FCM and IPM remedied by twisting the spade contacts to make better contact.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I haven't had a chance to diagnose yet...we just drive it in the day currently.

What I did notice is when the headlights don't work, the windshield washer system does Not work. Today, the headlights did start working, and so did the windshield washer system...im going to remove the FCM and check the connections as all the issues point right to the FCM from what I have read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
04anniversaryedition
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing