The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there individual relays for the driver and passenger power windows?

I have not had a chance to look yet but my passenger window temporarily stopped working and I eventually got it back up.

Just wondering where to start troubleshooting as I can't just start throwing parts at it.

Both switches were tried. Even tried slamming the door twice while holding the (passenger) switch up.
While driving, I incessantly was actuating the up direction and eventually it moved. Distracted, I was continuing my up up up up and missed that it had moved (and removed the pressure on the switch) and it stopped again. (hurriedly going to dentist appointment with rain on the horizon)

Don't think it is both switches
Don't think it is motor (though could be worn brushes)
I could believe a relay needs replaced.
I could believe worn wire perhaps but opening/closing door would usually show something.

In my minds eye, I'd guess (snap shot from the hip) and think relay.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 2013 Chrysler T & C and a few more
38 Posts
My driver's side window was doing that too a few years ago. My 2005 GC is our winter beater and has been on life support for a while meaning I only do very cheap or free repairs.
Upon examination I found the motor's brushes and commutator were oily and black. I cleaned the motor, drilled a very small hole in it and cut an access hole to enable a quick squirt of cleaning fluid without removing the interior door panel. I have only had to give it a good squirt one time since! It might not be your problem but I saw the same motor issue on my son's 2007 GC.
Rusty
Door Automotive lighting Circle Automotive design Door handle
Grey Motor vehicle Circle Fixture Auto part
Body jewelry Oval Nickel Screw Household hardware

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My driver's side window was doing that too a few years ago. My 2005 GC is our winter beater and has been on life support for a while meaning I only do very cheap or free repairs.
Upon examination I found the motor's brushes and commutator were oily and black. I cleaned the motor, drilled a very small hole in it and cut an access hole to enable a quick squirt of cleaning fluid without removing the interior door panel. I have only had to give it a good squirt one time since! It might not be your problem but I saw the same motor issue on my son's 2007 GC.
Rusty
View attachment 67754 View attachment 67755 View attachment 67756
Excellent Rusty,
That is very much the type of advice I was hoping for. Myself, I think I want a 3/16" (4mm) hole just enough for a contact cleaner tube from an aerosol can. I wouldn't even bother with any kind of cover...
Cheers!
Do you know, are there a left and right relay power for each power window in the IPM?
(yes, I am that busy (lazy) that I still have not popped the hood and looked in the IPM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The driver's-side window on our '07 Grand Caravan failed in the down position last winter. My wife was driving, and managed to coax it back up, though slowly. We figured we'd dodged a bullet and left it up for the rest of the winter.

I ordered a new motor/regulator assembly from Rock Auto and replaced the old one when weather permitted.

Not too hard a job, and the new one works well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts