The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Grand Caravan SXT 3.3 flex
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find what I thought was a fuel smell. When idling I could hear what was possibly an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. I have a mechanic's stethoscope. I pulled the pointy probe(that you would normally touch to parts) out of the single tube and replaced it with a 12" length of steel 3/16" brake line. It works great for locating "soft" noises like exhaust leaks. I located a leak under the tin shield of my rear exhaust manifold. I can only imagine the manifold is cracked under the cover. Is this common at all?

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
Vehicle specifics? Recent repairs?

Can't say that it's common or that I have ever responded to a thread on it. Here's search results for the 5th Generation using "exhaust manifold".

Flex joint maybe?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Could be a broken exhaust manifold bolt. It happens due to thermal expansion and contraction - then the bolt head just breaks off. I had a few of those I have had to replace. Had to drill and tap the bolt to get it out of the head. Good news is it's only torqued to 14 lb-ft IIRC, BUT it is held in with a smattering of thread locker.

Took a little while, but it turned out okay. Have to take your time and not rush or you might damage the threads in the head and then the fun begins

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,047 Posts
The rear exhaust manifold on my 2009, 3.8L developed a cracked near the O2 sensor.

·
Latent car nut
9,040 Posts
Yeah, I cracked a rear exhaust manifold on my 3.8 liter 1998 DGC Sport.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2010 3.8L and the bottom of the manifold is cracked making noise on startup. Started to change it and got one bolt out and the rounded two out and gave up bc I didn’t wanna make it worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts