The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urgent!urgent:
I just dropped the transmission oil pan and replaced the atf+4. How do I know if I have overfilled it? I do not want to wreck my van. I am going on a long trip in like 3 hours. I have put in 51/2 litres
Thanks for your help

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
Urgent!urgent:
I just dropped the transmission oil pan and replaced the atf+4. How do I know if I have overfilled it? I do not want to wreck my van. I am going on a long trip in like 3 hours. I have put in 51/2 litres
Thanks for your help
PM sent!

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Reactions: Yakkiebush

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Yes, that's 95 mm Canadian. Good advice.

Actually, we use inches a lot especially with Carpenter work. 2"X4"X8' doesn't work well in Metric.

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
674 Posts
PM' are supposed to be private!

Here it is, but keep it secret.

Safe range, with a cold engine.

View attachment 63753

But I forgot he was from down Canada.
Levy, if you look carefully, the tip of the dipstick is about 5/16” above the start of the ruler. So 3.75”-0-313”=3.437”.

Don’t know if this also applies to 3rd gen. Mine is at 3.5” or the letter, U, in the word, “CAUTION,” on the dipstick, when engine is cold.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
Levy, if you look carefully, the tip of the dipstick is about 5/16” above the start of the ruler. So 3.75”-0-313”=3.437”.

Don’t know if this also applies to 3rd gen. Mine is at 3.5” or the letter, U, in the word, “CAUTION,” on the dipstick, when engine is cold.
It is probably the angle of the camera.

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
674 Posts

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
674 Posts
I don't think so. 3rd. Gen have their own transmission dipstick.
Do you know the mark on the 3rd gen dipstick, when the engine is stone cold?

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Do you know the mark on the 3rd gen dipstick, when the engine is stone cold?
For the 4th Generation, it was at the crook in the transmission dipstick on mine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That looked more like the HOT range to me ... see

I checked this in many places and all were similar for the 62TE transmission

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts

That seems way too low to me.

The first arrow on that picture is where it was (and still is) from factory fill on both of my minivans, not from the chart.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts

The 3.75" / 95 mm reading is "cold turkey" i.e. the engine totally cold, not running. It's the best reading one can get and use when replacing transmission fluid on any vehicle.
It's 95 mm on mine as well, after sitting for several hours.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When you put your dipstick into the tranny, it goes down onto a catch which is at least a few inches above the bottom of the pan. ... I'd agree that the measurement you're using could be above the pan bottom, but not the catch.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
The highest fluid level in the transmission pan is when the engine is stone cold and not running, say after it has been sitting overnight i.e. the 95 mm reading. Once the engine is started, fluid is drawn out of the transmission pan to the point of not even showing on the dipstick until the fluid gets warmed up some, say to 80F.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts