The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 2002 GC Sport 3.3 Flex fuel 127000 miles. 5 days ago, during a morning drive to work, I noticed that heater is not blowing hot air even after engine has achieved usual operating temperature. Due to busy week, i waited until this weekend to look at it. I opened Radiator cap and didn't see any coolant in it. I tried to peek into and around coolant reservoir but could not figure out coolant level. Anyhow, I went to auto store and got 4 gallons of 50/50. Put into radiator and reservoir. One gallon filled both of them. Then i started up the engine and waited for temp gauge to rise. It went to middle but no cold air. I thought may be there is air in coolant system and i revved up the engine. The temp gauge started moving up to red area but still cold air from heater. I kept revs to 4K then i felt some hot air coming out of blower. I thought, air has moved out and there should be peace afterwards. But temp gauge didn't come down and when i decreased Revs to idle, blower again started blowing cold air. And temp gauge didn't come down, which should be down if air was out of system. I tried above process 3-4 times but each time with low revs blower blows cold air and temp gauge goes to red area until i switch off the engine and wait.
So Now I suspect either water pump is going bad or heater core is clogged. Or thermostat is bad.
AC also quit blowing cold air last summer! Heater blend actuator is last on my suspicion list as it did blow hot air when engine was revving up around 4k.
Any Ideas how to trouble shoot above issue ???

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
check your ambient temperature sensor and it is important that it doesn't end up lying next to the radiator as it will sense a high ambient temperature, triggering your air conditioning to come on. It mounts near the center of the grill opening (fascia), check that before you do anything else.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You may have more than one problem going on there, but I would want to figure out where the coolant is going first. Had it been a long time since last check, or was a gallon lost recently? A leaking heater core would tend to explain most of it. If so, you would probably have wet carpets and windows fogging inside. Beyond that, the water pump would be expected to go bad somewhere around your mileage - has it ever been replaced? Have you seen any drips underneath the van, or white smoke from the tail pipe? Any codes, or engine misfire or hesitation?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
few updates, after few "burping" of the coolant system and another gallon of coolant in, issues with heating and hot air were resolved. now i have heat and temp guage is where it should be.
question is where did the coolant go? , i last checked before the start of winter. may be in sep or oct. But now i am going to keep a close eye on it and look for any drips on floor. no heater core leak signs or engine problems so far but i will keep looking for them and will keep you posted.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
few updates, after few "burping" of the coolant system and another gallon of coolant in, issues with heating and hot air were resolved. now i have heat and temp guage is where it should be.
question is where did the coolant go? , i last checked before the start of winter. may be in sep or oct. But now i am going to keep a close eye on it and look for any drips on floor. no heater core leak signs or engine problems so far but i will keep looking for them and will keep you posted.
Well I'm glad the heat works now but I too would watch where the coolant goes, probably you have a seeping water pump or something, have you noticed anything suspicious on the ground preferably green? Have you changed the water pump or the transfer pipe? Rear heater lines?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts