The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I was looking for a similar post but I can't find it. I hope someone can help me about this question. I have a 2005 dodge grand caravan sxt 3.8L with almost 120k miles on it. It works fine but I start feeling like the engine is loosing power and make some noises. I see that there is a rebuild kit for this engine around 400$. But I don't know if it is worthy.

Thanks for your responses

Jorge

·
Latent car nut
9,355 Posts
If your van is in otherwise good shape, yes, rebuilding the engine makes sense (short of finding a low(ish) mileage engine in a bone yard), however, I would strongly suggest some diagnostics first. Why? A well maintained 3.8 is barely broken in at 120,000 miles and should be good for easily another 100,000 to 150,000 miles, so I'm having a problem wrapping my head around the need for a rebuild after so few miles.

In your case, I would find a shop which can perform what is known as a "Cylinder Leak Down Test"; such a test will identify issues with pistons, rings, and cylinder walls as well as cylinder head leakage issues past the valves or via the head gasket. Once you get that test performed, you'll be able to make a more informed decision on whether to rebuild/replace your engine.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If you have noticed a loss in power (as you have stated in a previous post) more than likely, with proper troubleshooting, it can be repaired.

What Shippo said about the leak down compression test will give you a snap shot of the integrity (wear) on the cylinders and valves.

That test is also called a differential compression test.

Let us know what you find and keep us up to date...
... and if you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask.
Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am facing the same decision. However, my need is more urgent because my '91 Dodge GC 3.3 spun a rod bearing at 235K miles. I am capable of removing/replacing engine and disassembling/assembling engine, but would need to farm out machine work. If the crankshaft cannot be fixed by grinding, I might be better off getting g a used engine from a running vehicle.

·
Latent car nut
9,355 Posts
I am facing the same decision. However, my need is more urgent because my '91 Dodge GC 3.3 spun a rod bearing at 235K miles. I am capable of removing/replacing engine and disassembling/assembling engine, but would need to farm out machine work. If the crankshaft cannot be fixed by grinding, I might be better off getting g a used engine from a running vehicle.
All you need to do is find a machine shop with the capability of doing a chromium weld on the damaged journal; what they do is weld up a bunch of excess metal and then "turn" the crank so all of the journals match the same spec. I've done this on any number of engines I've rebuilt over the years and never had a single issue.

With the above said, these engines are a dime a dozen at your local bone yard, so buying one of those is probably a better option from a financial perspective.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Restrictive catalytic converter can cause loss of power. Properly diagnose the situation.
What you do to test is remove the oxygen sensor to allow excess pressure to escape and then test drive trying to observe 'more power' but you are also going to hear louder engine so it may actually fool you into perceiving 'more power'

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
All you need to do is find a machine shop with the capability of doing a chromium weld on the damaged journal; what they do is weld up a bunch of excess metal and then "turn" the crank so all of the journals match the same spec. I've done this on any number of engines I've rebuilt over the years and never had a single issue.

With the above said, these engines are a dime a dozen at your local bone yard, so buying one of those is probably a better option from a financial perspective.
Can fix an expensive or unobtanium aircraft strut like this too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts