The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in my 2014 T&C last night to discover the driver side seat track cover was flopping like a fish, connected only at the rear attachment point. After inspection, the topmost mounting tab was hanging by a thread and had let go. Since my Mrs. is about 5'2" and 110 pounds, she tends to exit the vehicle like a kid on a playground slide instead of stepping out..."It's too high!" she says. I'm guessing 8+ years of slide action eventually broke the mounting tab(s).

Anyway, the part seems to be Mopar 1UQ99DX9AC, but the cheapest I can find it is just under 70 bucks (without tax/ship). Ridiculous for a chunk of textured plastic. While searching for cheaper parts, came across Dorman 924-438:
Bag Sleeve Luggage and bags Gesture Grey

I got one of these for just over 32 bucks thru Home Depot (using 10% mil discount). Makes me cringe that it's most likely Chinese junk, but willing to try it.

Found it very interesting that Dorman only makes the driver side outer, so I'm, guessing this is a high-fail part.

Could only find one thread on repairing these things, so asking:

• Is this merely an un-clip and re-clip job, or must the lower seat belt anchor come off?
  • Anybody used one of these Dorman replacements? I don't have high hopes, but you never know.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
337 Posts
This is a common issue, at least common enough that it can be tricky for me to find intact ones at the self-serve junkyards I go to. You can find multiple threads here on this issue if you search, such as this one: Front Seat Side Panel Detachment

LEVY here believes it is only a problem amongst overweight people:

I don't believe it is a bad or poor design.

As far as I know, only happens to people with overweight problems, or maybe with bad habits.

I never had that problem and haven't seen anyone who is not overweight to have that problem.
I suppose being heavier would probably make this break more quickly, but that wasn't the case here with your van.

Anyways, it doesn't take too much time and effort to replace it:

The lower bolt of the seatbelt has to be unbolted before installing the new panel. The one thing I would do differently from the above video is using blue threadlocker instead of red when reinstalling this bolt, to allow easier removal if it ever has to be replaced again; the factory uses blue threadlocker, not red, at least from what I've observed with all the seatbelt bolts I've unbolted in these vans.

The Dorman replacement apparently isn't the exact same shade of black as the original one, but it's not too noticeable:

They call it black, but it's not exactly the same shade as in the car, but you can paint it. It was close enough on mine that I didn't bother. You won't notice it unless you're really looking for it.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I should've looked a bit harder for threads. This is immensely helpful to me, so I appreciate it.

And LEVY is probably right. My wife drives the van about 95% of the time, but about once a week my 6'5" 265-pound frame fills the seat. I probably squashed it over the years.

Reactions: 09CaravanSE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts