The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My father got a 2006 PT with the 2.4L 5 speed. He wants to use the PT for making deliveries. He declined to use my 01 3.8L GC becuase of the gas prices. So given some caravans had the 2.4L, is it going to have the same problems? It has 311,000 miles and the head gasket was changed 500 miles ago. We got it for 500 bucks from a family member. It seems pretty peppy as I shift around 4,000 rpm

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser convertible and it has the same engine. One of the reasons that I bought it was because I'm satisfied with our (2006) Caravan (2.4L).

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
PT Losers aren't exactly known for stellar fuel economy. Low to mid 20s from what I've read when I thought about picking up one as a beater. Maybe slightly better with a 5 speed. 2.4s aren't a bad motor, IMO. Must not be too unreliable if it made it to 311k.;)

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PT Losers aren't exactly known for stellar fuel economy. Low to mid 20s from what I've read when I thought about picking up one as a beater. Maybe slightly better with a 5 speed. 2.4s aren't a bad motor, IMO. Must not be too unreliable if it made it to 311k.;)
My dad told me today it gets the same fuel economy as our v6 SUV!!! WTF?! I looked up mpg for a PT and a GC 2006. Avg fuel econ is 25.5mpg for PT and 22.5mpg for the Grand Caravan. I did the math. In 10,000 miles @$5.50 a Gallon, the Pt will save $288 in fuel! Wow that is bad. I am not sure how the Grand Caravan being a way bigger car and I assume heavier gets similar mpg. Why is it so bad? Is the PT heavy? Why not just use the bigger car its safer? I mean I think it looks unique but for work not sure if its worth being in a smaller car.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My 2005 SWB has trod across thirty-five states (plus DC and Ciudad Acuña, MX) over 17.5 years of ownership and military/DoD service. Has not been to the Dakotas, Rocky Mountain region, or Pacific Northwest. Bought it in Feb 2005 at Red McCombs Dodge while TDY to San Antonio (after creaming a large deer on US 283 with my 1995). Was a Presidents Day special for $13,995 (stickered at a shade over $20K). Has the 2.4L with air, cruise, tilt, and power windows/locks.

Hands-down the best vehicle I ever owned, and still has the best seats I've ever had. Broke two timing belts and replaced the A/C compressor, plus routine maintenance. Did every single repair myself. 243,900 miles and still chugging along at 20+ mpg. Unlike many, I'm a huge fan of the 2.4...mine's been almost bulletproof and still only uses about half a quart between changes (5-6K).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts