The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2005 and 2016 caravan I have driven on some bad rutty dirt roads and washed out gravel roads. I've driven over manholes with no covers...never needed front end work.
Qoestion: is the pacifica as tough?

·
Registered
144 Posts
As an add-on, one reason I chose a 2016 Grand Caravan over any Pacifica is that the Pacifica has less ground clearance and I would actually prefer more ground clearance on almost every minivan or car for my occasional driving on lousy roads.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Grand Caravan has 5.6" of ground clearance. The Pacifica has 5.1".
That extra ground clearance comes in useful on bad roads, avoiding obstacles, and for winter use.
I will note that the 2022 AWD Pacifica has all of 5.4" of ground clearance (big whoopie). These ground-scraping "lead sled" designs are stupid for bad roads, and even for parking blocks and curbs. I have no idea why vans are designed to be belly-scraping "spaceships" while SUV's dominate the market.

I think there would be a huge market for a legit tough AWD minivan with some actual belly clearance given the interest in camping and overlanding.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
909 Posts
I will note that the 2022 AWD Pacifica has all of 5.4" of ground clearance (big whoopie). These ground-scraping "lead sled" designs are stupid for bad roads, and even for parking blocks and curbs. I have no idea why vans are designed to be belly-scraping "spaceships" while SUV's dominate the market.

I think there would be a huge market for a legit tough AWD minivan with some actual belly clearance given the interest in camping and overlanding.
I find it hilarious that my 94 Voyager lowered 5" front, 4" rear still has 5.5" of ground clearance at it's lowest point....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I find it hilarious that my 94 Voyager lowered 5" front, 4" rear still has 5.5" of ground clearance at it's lowest point....
Um, just no. I do find your numbers hilarious too, though. :)

The stock ground clearance on a 1994 Caravan is 5.7" so if yours is "lowered" 4-5" you're running about an inch of ground clearance. Or are you using 40" tall tires?

Your ruler is in serious need or calibration, or your math skills are having a serious problem here.

The problem with modern van ground clearance is the 500 lb gorilla of stow and go seats, which make for a really thick floor.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Um, just no. I do find your numbers hilarious too, though. :)

The stock ground clearance on a 1994 Caravan is 5.7" so if yours is "lowered" 4-5" you're running about an inch of ground clearance. Or are you using 40" tall tires?

Your ruler is in serious need or calibration, or your math skills are having a serious problem here.

The problem with modern van ground clearance is the 500 lb gorilla of stow and go seats, which make for a really thick floor.
Tell me you know nothing about 2nd gens without telling me.....

Stock ground clearance is measured at the rear axle, aka the lowest point on 2nd gen vans. That clearance doesn't change whether the van is slammed or lifted.
I am using the front bumper for measurement at this point, because it has become the lowest point on the van now that it's lowered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The OP's question was about Pacificas but I am familiar with the K car chassis layouts and suspension and personally know Chrysler engineers who worked on those vehicle generations and previous ones although a couple have passed on.

You're saying you started out with 10" of belly clearance and still have over 5" at the belly after lowering 4-5"? Nah...the stock minivans were never curb hoppers.

I would believe your numbers if you were talking about a new Promaster, which has the beam axle close to the ground with huge space above it. Have a good week! :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
The OP's question was about Pacificas but I am familiar with the K car chassis layouts and suspension and personally know Chrysler engineers who worked on those vehicle generations and previous ones although a couple have passed on.

You're saying you started out with 10" of belly clearance and still have over 5" at the belly after lowering 4-5"? Nah...the stock minivans were never curb hoppers.

I would believe your numbers if you were talking about a new Promaster, which has the beam axle close to the ground with huge space above it. Have a good week! :)
Interesting considering I had over 12.5" of belly clearance with a 2" lift and 27" ats........... But hey, you clearly own one to measure, so whatevs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting considering I had over 12.5" of belly clearance with a 2" lift and 27" ats........... But hey, you clearly own one to measure, so whatevs.
Don't own one and don't really care about vintage minivans so OK, I'll assume your're right. Have a good week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts